Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Organ sales  (Read 5018 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Organ sales
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »

Don't get this thread locked please. Please don't start religious flamewars.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 09:05:44 pm »

No, it's that you've gone from helpful and reasonable to mild trollishness.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »

Don't get this thread locked please. Please don't start religious flamewars.
I changed it, for christs sake.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 09:58:42 pm »

I don't understand the stigma about organ donation after death.

I, myself, wish to be buried whole. Not taken apart like some child picking at the inside of a chicken strip and leaving the batter.

That analogy doesn't make any sense at all.

A child only eating part of his food is being picky and wasteful, hence immature and self-centered.

Giving your organs - which you don't actually need anymore, being dead and all - to people who actually need them is the exact opposite of wasteful and self-centered. It saves people's lives.

If I have something that I'm never going to use again, and that is just going to sit in a box underground and rot, never to be seen again by anyone, and I can save someone's life by saying that they can have it, the choice is pretty obvious to me. Sure, funerary arrangements of many varieties (whether it's cremation or being buried whole or something else) have a lot of sentimental and cultural value, but what's more important here?

If you want me to say what's similar to a kid picking at chicken and wasting the parts he doesn't like, it's getting embalmed, really. Your body is still messed with in a number of fashions, all for the purpose of making it look presentable and rot less quickly. You still get stuff removed/messed with, and all kinds of things shoved inside the body, all just to sit in the same box later.

Sure, getting buried whole without any real preparation avoids those things, but I still think it's rather selfish, given that your lifeless corpse is just going into a box anyway and has the potential to save several human lives otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:03:29 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 10:09:17 pm »

I don't understand the stigma about organ donation after death.

I, myself, wish to be buried whole. Not taken apart like some child picking at the inside of a chicken strip and leaving the batter.

That analogy doesn't make any sense at all.

A child only eating part of his food is being picky and wasteful, hence immature and self-centered.

Giving your organs - which you don't actually need anymore, being dead and all - to people who actually need them is the exact opposite of wasteful and self-centered. It saves people's lives.

If I have something that I'm never going to use again, and that is just going to sit in a box underground and rot, never to be seen again by anyone, and I can save someone's life by saying that they can have it, the choice is pretty obvious to me. Sure, funerary arrangements of many varieties (whether it's cremation or being buried whole or something else) have a lot of sentimental and cultural value, but what's more important here?

If you want me to say what's similar to a kid picking at chicken and wasting the parts he doesn't like, it's getting embalmed, really. Your body is still messed with in a number of fashions, all for the purpose of making it look presentable and rot less quickly. You still get stuff removed/messed with, and all kinds of things shoved inside the body, all just to sit in the same box later.

Sure, getting buried whole without any real preparation avoids those things, but I still think it's rather selfish, given that your lifeless corpse is just going into a box anyway and has the potential to save several human lives otherwise.
Well, actually...

I'm quite addicted to DR PEPPER, drink probably 6 a day. Who the hell would use my scriveled up organs anyway?

Oh yes, imagine the chicken batter analogy, where the child is 'the world' and the batter is my outer flesh, and the inside meat is my organs and body and stuff. I hold shit sacred, at least to me.

Oh, and realmfighter, fuck you. Obviously you are immensely obese and have to roll around to get anywhere and are severely depressed to the point you make fun of people on the internets, and sit sad at home on off days, crying in a ball.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 10:14:32 pm »

Chill.

Related:

Spoiler: XKCD (click to show/hide)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 10:16:01 pm »

Oh, and realmfighter, fuck you. Obviously you are immensely obese and have to roll around to get anywhere and are severely depressed to the point you make fun of people on the internets, and sit sad at home on off days, crying in a ball.
But i'm, your neighbor! Were supposed to love each other!
How did you come to that conclusion? Are you saying that everybody not a Cristian is obese, depressed and needs to make fun of people on the internet for fun?

Boo, i say.

Boo!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 10:18:09 pm »

Chill

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 10:21:39 pm »

But i'm, your neighbor! Were supposed to love each other!
How did you come to that conclusion? Are you saying that everybody not a Cristian is obese, depressed and needs to make fun of people on the internet for fun?

Boo, i say.

Boo!

No, actually it is you that is prejudiced. I came to that conclusion up above because you insulted me for something i believe in. You think just because i believe in something means that I believe everyone who is not of that religion/thing is automatically obese.

YOU are prejudice.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »

Personally I think that xwhatever's religious objections to organ transplants are stupid, but that's no reason to get personal about it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 10:24:36 pm »

No, actually it is you that is prejudiced. I came to that conclusion up above because you insulted me for something i believe in. You think just because i believe in something means that I believe everyone who is not of that religion/thing is automatically obese.

YOU are prejudice.

We should stop.

(I was joking, for the record.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2009, 12:06:14 am »

Well, actually...

I'm quite addicted to DR PEPPER, drink probably 6 a day. Who the hell would use my scriveled up organs anyway?

That's beside the point entirely. Sure, if your organs aren't healthy, people won't use them. Granted, there are a LOT of organs in your body, and I doubt they're all going to be completely broken and useless.

Oh, and you know who might want your shriveled-up liver? Someone whose liver is dying.

Oh yes, imagine the chicken batter analogy, where the child is 'the world' and the batter is my outer flesh, and the inside meat is my organs and body and stuff. I hold shit sacred, at least to me.

I still have no idea what this analogy is supposed to mean whatsoever. If you could just drop it entirely and actually state what you mean, I'd like that.

And if what you really mean is "I hold my body sacred to myself", I'm not sure what that even means. Why hold it "sacred"? What does that mean? Why will it matter when you're dead?

Being an asshole in response to someone else being an asshole will not make the situation better. I don't want to see this thread locked.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2009, 12:08:42 am »

Being an asshole in response to someone else being an asshole will not make the situation better. I don't want to see this thread locked.

Then why on Earth did you post?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2009, 11:20:40 am »

I hope that one day you have no choice about whether your organs stay in your dead body or not.
Once you are dead, you are property, not a person. The person has gone, depending on your beliefs, to the afterlife or to oblivion.
Keeping valuable, life-saving organs inside a dead body because of your beliefs is morally wrong.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 12:06:46 pm »

Obviously you are immensely obese and have to roll around to get anywhere

You both need to chill out, but I lol'd so hard at this.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7