Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Organ sales  (Read 5017 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organ sales
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 04:52:14 pm »

"Hello Doctor, I am a perfectly healthy person. Please risk my life by operating on me to remove an organ and leave me in a far less healthy state than when I started. Hippocratic Oath? Doctor, please. Let's not get silly here."

Yeah, not gonna work. I'm an organ donor, so as soon as I shuffle off this mortal coil, it's all fair game, but until then I only want to have bits taken out of me if they're not working properly or I need to give it to someone close. Now I'm all for compensation for that if it doesn't exist already, but it opens up all sorts of iffy things once a random Joe is able to just up and offer another random Joe a piece of the first Joe for a half-years rent.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 06:48:28 pm »

The problem is precisedly the social implications of such a move(and thus all live donations must be altruistic, without material gain) . Medically speaking, but even leaving the dangers of surgery aside, you also have a higher risk of renal problems (In part because now you have one doing the work of two -and it can adapt, mind you, but strains it. Under long periods of time this can be damaging to it-. By virtue of being just one, of course, it is also more likely to fail if something comes up.).

BTW: the organ donor agreement means jackshit, family consent is still needed (and in fact, it is pretty much all that is needed)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:43 am »

I believe that most countries have an opt-in system for organ donations, basically you get a doner card and if you die they take your organs. But I think people, high up people at this, are realising this just isn't going to work for long term medical plans. So I think the UK (not sure about any other country) are, or have, adobted a opt-out system. Where your parents/partner/children can say no to the doctors taking your organs after death. Or you do it before hand.

I really don't think you should put a price on an organ, i'd give mine away for free if someone needed it and would put it to good use.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 01:39:46 pm »

The card is not binding at all. If your family doesnt want to donate your organs, they wont get donated. It's more of a public statement of intention.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 01:46:05 pm »

I think what the government should have been working on is destroying the social stigma towards giving blood and organ donations.

You do that through schools.

It is the same reason why Hockey is popular in canada.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 02:38:03 pm »

It's illegal because people tend to get scammed into it. A lot of live kidney donators do it because they really needed the money. Yeah, sometimes people need to sell anything they have so they could buy a shoplot/tractor/education/pay off debts and make a steady income.

Well, unfortunately, almost all of those people didn't know that donating a kidney put them in horrible physical condition, so bad that many can't even work properly. I dare you to find even one person who's donated a kidney and later admit to it being a good decision.

I'm no doctor either, but from what I've heard, people who donate kidneys don't end up very healthy. They're still alive, but not very happy. My future mother-in-law has both kidneys malfunctioning and could use some new ones, but even then, I'd highly discourage a live donor to sell his kidneys away.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 03:32:13 pm »

Well, once we can clone and harvest from pigs effectively, it'll become a moot point.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 04:25:10 pm »

30,000!?
I could have paid for college AND the car!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 04:27:05 pm »

I don't understand the stigma about organ donation after death.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »

I don't understand the stigma about organ donation after death.

I, myself, wish to be buried whole. Not taken apart like some child picking at the inside of a chicken strip and leaving the batter.

For both religious, moral, and personal reasons.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:33 pm »

I, myself, wish to be buried whole. Not taken apart like some child picking at the inside of a chicken strip and leaving the batter.

For both religious, moral, and personal reasons.

So, you'd rather appease you possibly existent god, your no longer there conscience and the retarded little hand on your decomposing shoulder than save somebody's life?

PS i hate you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:52:07 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 07:50:52 pm »

...you'd rather appease you non-existent god, your no longer there conscience and the retarded little hand...

Let's try not to insult everything someone holds dear all at once, now.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 07:52:31 pm »

...you'd rather appease you non-existent god, your no longer there conscience and the retarded little hand...

Let's try not to insult everything someone holds dear all at once, now.

But its fun...

I changed it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »

It's weird, because I distinctly remember you getting mad at people for saying retarded things, realmfighter.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »

It's weird, because I distinctly remember you getting mad at people for saying retarded things, realmfighter.

What's weird? My extremely long run on sentence? Messing up the Post Note? Thinking insult peoples beliefs is fun?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7