Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Organ sales  (Read 5008 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organ sales
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 02:00:53 pm »

I'm an organ donor, and I heard that the UK has alot as well.

As for the legality of being able to sell your organs. Provided you're forced to undergo a thorough examination in order to verify that you're healthy enough to survive with only a fraction of your organs, then I don't see a problem.

Don't people already donate parts of their organs to relatives in the case of afflictions that would kill them otherwise? If someone could buy and sell organs, it would provide an emergency cash source for the truly desperate.

The blackmail scenario painted above is, frankly, truly ridiculous. Although I have heard those horror stories about people getting drugged, and their kidneys getting stolen with them waking up in a bathtub full of ice.

Also, with an organized, legal market for organs put up, it would create another industry for which to help pull the economy out of the recession.

Just so long as things don't end up like "Repo! The Genetic Opera", then I'm pretty alright with it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 02:04:11 pm »

I'm not an organ donor.  I like to entertain the thought that the doctors won't try as hard to save you if you get mangled in a car accident and are an organ donor.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 02:05:20 pm »

This is ridiculous and most of you aren't even grasping the obvious economic ramifications.

It's not as if rich people would sell them, or people who are getting by just fine in general. Poor people would end up selling theirs to make ends meet.

The economy would adjust to this fact to the point where they have to in order to compete with the other poor people around them who are doing so, or else they'd fall even further behind into poverty.

There's a reason why stuff like this is illegal. You do not want economic stratification based on whether or not a person would sell their organs.

If you want more organs to be available to people, then don't let people check "no" on the organ-donor question when they would otherwise have the chance. It's not like you need them when you're dead.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:10:12 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09:54 pm »

I'm not an organ donor.  I like to entertain the thought that the doctors won't try as hard to save you if you get mangled in a car accident and are an organ donor.
If they save you, they've definately saved a life.  If they let you die, your organs may save someone else.

They wouldn't let you die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 02:21:41 pm »

G-flex, are you sure the economic ramifications would be that harsh? Sounds a bit extreme to me.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 02:40:12 pm »

And when did being poor make you stupid?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 02:53:16 pm »

The problem with allowing people to sell their organs is that, in theory, people would much prefer selling their organs rather then donning them in times of dire need, and families would sell their dead relative's organs rather then allowing them to be donned in case of cerebral death. This would create a cutthroat organ market with high prizes, and reduce the availiability of organs free for donning, thus rich people would be able to get all organs, while poor people would mostly die due to the incredibly high prices.

So yea, I'm okay with it, but it isn't a simple moral question like stem cell research and cloning. The social danger on this is much higher.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:33 pm »

Sounds like endorsements for state sponsored welfare and government subsidized organ transplants. Heh... yeah, I just opened another can of worms, didn't I?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 03:25:22 pm »

I can see the issues with it, but it kind of makes me miffed that I *can't* do what I want with my organs. Besides use them. Some terms and restrictions may apply.

Though I see a lot of people selling one, then going into the hospital a few years later and requiring one back...

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »

I already signed the agreement thingy to sell my organs when I die...wait..does that include the brain?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 03:38:10 pm »

It's called organ donor. Not organ sales. I don't think there's any place in the world right now where you can legally sell your organs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 03:41:49 pm »

Somalia.  I imagine it's technically legal there.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 03:44:59 pm »

Gotta feed the zombies somehow, Jervous.

I wonder if you can sell an appendix in Somalia.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:27 pm »

People are getting all my organs for free when I die. Given my general good health and long-lived family, a lot of the organs'll be pretty old and worn out, but I'm sure some of them will be of use. It's not as if it's of any use to me after I die anyway. I'll be so much congealing blood and dead flesh.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:51 pm »

People are getting all my organs for free when I die. Given my general good health and long-lived family, a lot of the organs'll be pretty old and worn out, but I'm sure some of them will be of use. It's not as if it's of any use to me after I die anyway. I'll be so much congealing blood and dead flesh.

No, you'll be MY congealing blood and dead flesh!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7