Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpse in water make fish spawn?  (Read 1146 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Corpse in water make fish spawn?
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:38 pm »

Greeting,

been a while i havent send a single post, but i wonder i went into a weird situation, I had a bunch of ennemy to get rid of but my military isnt ready yet an i felt like flooding them, so ive set up a one shot flooding from the nearby river and while they tried to escape they finaly drowned and close to the river, about 4 second later i got a massive fish spawn near the corpse, is it normal? if yes, well even if no one know, ill try that again and again when there wont be any fish ill drown some more :D
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Corpse in water make fish spawn?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »

Dont think so, but it could. Be awesome if it did. I think you just got lucky with a fish spawn. 'Cause remember, they are like vermin. They spawn randomly anywhere.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:12:49 am »

I can confirm this.  Knocked a goblin snatcher into a pond, checked where he landed, five minutes later the area around its body was swarming with shad.  I don't know whether it was a coincidence or if fish are genuinely attracted to dead meat and blood floating in their pool (makes sense).
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 01:59:04 am »

Would be good to have multiple ppl try it and maybe add it if we get enough solid confirmation?  Im using D16 just in case.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 02:34:38 pm »

Would be good to have multiple ppl try it and maybe add it if we get enough solid confirmation?  Im using D16 just in case.

I will try it a few times and post my results here.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:50:56 pm »

It could be that it just attracts vermin in general, and in most places the vermin being attracted are swarms of flies.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 02:54:43 pm »

This is correct, you often see Flies round rotting organisms in Fort mode, why not fish in the water?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:07:29 pm »

Your fisher doesnt have anything to fish in your fort? Drop some gobbies in a pond and seal all access and watch them die and then! FISH!!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 02:46:44 am »

Yeah, I had a map where I was sending 70 reclaim marksdwarves after carp and other fish,

every time one died, they all tantrum spiraled, and died rapidly. Hundreds of bats would start flying around.

Don't know why bats though
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Lamey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 02:01:31 am »

Yeah, I had a map where I was sending 70 reclaim marksdwarves after carp and other fish,

every time one died, they all tantrum spiraled, and died rapidly. Hundreds of bats would start flying around.

Don't know why bats though

That happens everytime batman gains experience.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 02:05:29 am »

Batmen! alert the jesters!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!