Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: threads about playing as an elf retreat?  (Read 2718 times)

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
threads about playing as an elf retreat?
« on: November 22, 2009, 10:35:05 am »

are there any threads about playing as elves in dwarf mode?

i tried using a bunch of different search parameters but couldn't find any useful links.

interested in a different kind of challenge and wanting to see what other people have done/what glitches and problems might occur.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: threads about playing as an elf retreat?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:38:18 am »

By Urist's beard! An Elf! OPEN THE MAGMA FLOODGATE!!!

Hungry pulls lever.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:03 am »

The only proper elf retreat focused game is one where you embark in fortress mode for the sole purpose of entrapping and destroying one, or an adventure mode one with the goal of genociding the elf race.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:24:18 am »

An elven retreat seems so much fun to do.

No wood cutting, you're not allowed to hurt trees!
No digging, you're not allowed to hurt mother earth!
No hunting, you're not allowed to hurt the children of nature!
No farming, you're not allowed to influence the growth of nature!
Plant gathering with a civilization of 70 elves treehuggers only!
final destination

Seriously now. Tell me which of these rules you'd break when you made a forest retreat. Since everything in Fortress Mode is based on changing your environment, this just doesn't really work.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:36:48 am »

Maybe once elves get buildings and such it will be more intresting, but currently elves are pansy tree huggers with no actual appeal...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 11:44:03 am »

the first rule i am prepared to break is the data in the raws

easy enough to give elves a few permitted jobs with a little cutting and pasting.

although, i dont think i will give them the ability to mine.  i dont think they would want to anyway.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:46:55 am »

But what's the point? If you give elves farming and wood working skills, then you might as well play the humans, since you've made them exactly the same.

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:24:08 pm »

i guess the point is i want to play elves and not humans.  i have never really been interested in playing humans in any other sort of fantasy game.

plus, the elves have the unique relationship with the animals that the humans dont.

and i am interested in making a tree top type city above the ground.  makes more sense making it with elves than making it with humans.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 12:31:50 pm »

You can't make a tree top city yet. You can make a city built atop a tree-shaped construct made out of dead trees, but that's pretty anti-elven.

And you're telling me you want to play elves because you LIKE them? That's even worse! That's pure blasphemy unto Armok! We need a magma infusion in here, stat!

Edit: And you can't do anything with that 'unique relationship with animals' (if that's what those pervs are calling it these days) yet either. Creatures with the [MUNDANE] tag wont attack them, is all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:34:42 pm by Blind Wolf »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:44:57 pm »

I've always preferred dwarves to elves in my fantasy worlds, but present company excluded I've also always been in the minority.  Because of that I'm kind of surprised that no one has made a good Elf Retreat mod.  Something using 'nature magic' smelter reactions to create wood and from there an entire economy, maybe with some dead invader processing on the side...

edit: Although when the new version comes out with its castes and custom workshops and whatnot a person could do a much better job of it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:46:54 pm by nil »

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 01:05:25 pm »

when elves come to trade, what goods do they bring?  wooden things.  at some point they cut down some trees.

the reason i started this thread in the first place is to figure out what obstacles i will run into like that mundane tag etc.

and finally, what's wrong with blasphemy?  is there some official dwarf fortress dogma that i have to bend to?  if toady tells me i am not allowed to play elves, i suppose i would give it some thought.  until such time, i will do some experimenting and figure out what i can and can't do in dwarf fortress.

does anyone have an answer to my original question?  if not, i might try starting up something in the modding section and see if we can't come up with something workable for now until toady makes it easier to play elves.

some interesting ideas there nil.  not quite adept with editing the raws but maybe this will be a good way to start figuring out how.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 01:13:20 pm »

They 'sing' to the wood or use shaper magic. Basically they shape the trees, still living, into what they want them to be. Everything else they only make from dead wood.

Teehee. Dogma. You don't really understand the concept of a forum joke, do you? Most people DO dislike elves, but the whole 'blasphemy' and 'cure with magma' is a joke and an aspect of the forum's culture. Don't take it seriously.

I would've thought it was obvious by now, but I suppose I have to say it outright. NO, there is not a thread about playing as a dirty, filthy elf.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:17:24 pm »

besides, most of the people on this forum doesn't really have access to real magma

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:25:13 pm »

sorry, tend to take things too seriously.  i should have writen...

my dirty cannibal elves will rain upon thee with a horrible vengeance and righteous anger.  beware the fifth letter of the alphabet.  your doom is spelt "E".

if we can figure out how to make an axe to cut down some of these trees...

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 01:33:37 pm »

Heh heh, that's better. I actually laughed at that. You'll do well here.

Totally unrelated, but if you want to read about an awesome elf who most elf-haters here actually respect, run a search for Cacame. I think the thread title is "Dwarf king is a..."
Pages: [1] 2