Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Panic room  (Read 1286 times)

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Panic room
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:42:00 am »

I've seen several suggestions about having an alarm system of some sort which I think would be a great idea. How about combining this with a panic room or more likely a vast vaulted chamber with masterful engravings? When the alarm is sounded non-military/guard dwarves would cancel current activities taking their adorable children/pets with them and stay there until the all clear. Suitable positioned such a chamber would clear the screen of most of the lifeforms clutter and let you focus on the combat with the bonus that the civilians wouldn't get their fool necks broken by the visiting hydra or whatever. Perhaps a panic chamber would need some special construction requirements - twice forged adamantine doors or some such.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Panic room
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

The suggestion is in the first post on the first page of this thread.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

yes the alarm idea is, bundled with several other suggestions. It stands alone here- http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000506

However, in both of those suggestions, a dedicated room wasn't suggested, instead it was a zone. That is the difference. Helps if you read the whole things rather then shooting them down as quick as they come.

His suggestion, for those not paying attention, is that if an alarm system is implemented that a "Room" be able to be set, with it's own requirements, that works as a zone, similar to how you can set a table to be a meeting hall or a zone to a meeting hall. Not the suggestion of the alarm itself.

I think that the idea has merit. You get some action of falling back to defend the fortress, creating more depth in your defenses.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

Presumably the alarm would also be a mechanism of some kind that a dwarf would have to trigger, rather than just being something the player can automatically toggle. I like that - the player should have as little direct input on dwarfish behavior as possible. Asking for the alarm to be turned on is good; turning the alarm on (or giving a direct order to a specific dwarf to turn the alarm on) is not.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Zak Arntson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.harlekin-maus.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

Yes! Create a no-traffic zone outside where an invasion's likely to come from. Build a pressure plate there and attach it to your Panic Button.
ak Arntson
http://www.harlekin-maus.com - Games - Lots of ''em

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

And watch how a pair of playing marmots ruin your infrastructure =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:05:00 am »

Thanks for the comments.

>Presumably the alarm would also be a mechanism of some kind that a dwarf would have to trigger, rather than just being something the player

Yes, that would be the way to do it. And perhaps only designated dwarves (military/noble types with some relevant skills like judgement) would have the right to sound the alarm to avoid Deon's playing marmots causing a panic twice a day.

And perhaps the panic room could have some special properties such as forbidden except when there's an alert, stockpiles (iron hard dwarven bread!) that would get filled up but never drawn from until an emergency. Thus you'd have some non-military siege preparation to attend to and, after the first goblin siege/monster intrusion, dwarves would get an unhappy thought if there was no refuge for themselves or their loved ones next time around.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

Oh oh! Dwarves that are in a panic should flip the switch unasked, to cause general mayhem and chaos when a skeletal hoary marmot came into view of your fisherdwarves.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

>Dwarves that are in a panic should flip the switch unasked

Good point. Also dwarves having a tantrum might get a happy thought from sounding the alarm maliciously and sending everyone scurrying off. So the rule might be that authorised dwarves could sound a false alarm without penalty (except loss of the right if repeated), unauthorised dwarves get the Hammerer on their ass and an unauthorised dwarf who alerts the fortress to terrible danger gets to be Dwarf of the Year or somesuch.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:32:00 am »

I like this idea, especially since it gives the player only indirect control and can cause real mayhem (I'd love it if some mischievous monster or deranged dwarf pulled the lever and made all my civilians run off in panic).

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 09:02:00 am »

That's what gremlins are for. (always chain wardogs near your levers!)

I really like.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

Sounds like a very Dwarf Fortress thing to me!
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

sneaking Kobold thieves should be able to turn the alarm off. Same goes for any Goblin ambushers and invaders that get to the master switch.