Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Blacksmith Melts down own Masterpieces, "Fun" ensues.  (Read 4082 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Dwarf Blacksmith Melts down own Masterpieces, "Fun" ensues.
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:47:16 am »

Currently I have been leveling weaponcrafting via making vast amounts of copper 'menacing spikes' then melting them down and reforging them to save materials.  However I hadn't realizd just far up his skills had come...

Shortly after going into stocks and assigning all Copper Spikes to be melted down once again... I got a message "Urst McWeaponsmith cancels melt object, throwing tantrum!" Not knowing what happened I scroll to my forge area just in time to read "Urst McWeaponsmith has gone stark raving mad!!!" Next thing I know he has destroyed the Smelter he as just in, a Magma Smelter, and, yes, he just HAPPEND to be standing on the tile of exposed magma...
Urst McWeaponsmith has died in the heat!

So...

Reverting to a savescum to find out JUST what happened, I take a look at his file and it says "Has suffered the defacement of his art recently" Usually this only happens to engravers, when I build something on a tile I forgot was masterwork, but a Weaponsmith? You have have to be destroying wepons to get that... Oh yeah,, he was...

Checkin the stocks on my save scum, I found in the 30 or so odd copper spikes, SIX masterworks.  The poor sod had melted down SIX of HIS OWN masterworks before going mad.

Can you just imagine the sight? After endless toil, you've just crafted wonderful piecec of art, truely inspiring works of metalsmithing... And then, you are orderd melt them down...

I Love this Game!!! ;D
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Blacksmith Melts down own Masterpieces, "Fun" ensues.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:37 am »

Never had that happen before. But usually my weaponsmith has pumped out so many (in-use or saved for later) masterwork weapons that by the time I start melting stuff down, a few accidental meltings wont set him off.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
re
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:58:33 am »

Not long ago, in my previous fortress I commissioned dumping a lot of useless stuff into magma and melting all unnecessary metal objects to get some fps. There were few of masterwork bolts scattered around my fortress (my fortress WAS named Boltcrafts btw) that went to magma smelters...

I did get some fps, but also I got suicides and tantrum spirals.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:02:23 am »

I had this happen before with an armorsmith I was leveling up to legendary. Making chain leggings, cause they melt down to a half bar, the most productive of the melt down options.

He melted down a couple of them, I saw the red unhappy arrow, told him to stop. Found out he had art defaced, blah blah. So from now on I have two stock piles, one for regular crap, the other for masterwork only.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

That's why I always have different stockpiles for different qualities. One for no-quality or lowest quality that gets mass designated for melting every few months, one for masterpieces that I save for special occasions (mostly rewarding special dwarves) and one for the rest that everyone can use.
Losing some mason to masterwork defacement doesn't hurt that much, but losing the only weapon- or armorsmith sends me tantruming.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 05:36:26 pm »

Next thing I know he has destroyed the Smelter he as just in, a Magma Smelter, and, yes, he just HAPPEND to be standing on the tile of exposed magma...

He wanted to join his precious masterworks in Armok's blood. :(
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:42 pm »

That's why I always have different stockpiles for different qualities. One for no-quality or lowest quality that gets mass designated for melting every few months, one for masterpieces that I save for special occasions (mostly rewarding special dwarves) and one for the rest that everyone can use.
Losing some mason to masterwork defacement doesn't hurt that much, but losing the only weapon- or armorsmith sends me tantruming.

Totally that. Just designate a 10*10 stockpile for metal anything-not-masterful and another one for non-metal anything-not-masterful. Now you can easiy get rid of those items with a d,b,d instead of 'd' ing 544 narrow socks in the stocks screen.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »

This is why I never melt bolts period. Usually I just keep them in a special stockpile in my marksdwarf nest, if it's one masterwork steel or 25 base quality iron they shoot it regardless. I designate melt from my melting stockpile, which holds all wrong-sized armor unuseable weapons. Saves a lot of tantrums.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325