Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Empire: Total War  (Read 3568 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire: Total War
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »

Sadly, it's auto-resolve.

But I the limit on the number of players seem to be high.
Na I signed up for the mutiplayer beta, tried it today. It is not auto resolve you just have to change the settings.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 03:28:46 pm »

I played the demo of the game and it barely ran (But it did run!). I love the TW series especially Rome, but I just don't understand the tactics for this one. What should I be doing to utterly destroy my opponents? All I know about colonial warfare was that they stood in a line firing crappy guns and awesome cannons and then stabbed each other with bayonets.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »

Na I signed up for the mutiplayer beta, tried it today. It is not auto resolve you just have to change the settings.
Then it's FREAKING AWESOME. But how does it work between two players? (not NPCs)
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »

Then it's FREAKING AWESOME. But how does it work between two players? (not NPCs)
The player plays as the AI in battles. It's autoresolve for minor factions, though, I think.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 04:23:16 pm »

Okay, that isn't going to work.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »

I'll have to check. Screws over my Let's Play, though, back to the Knights of Malta.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 05:27:25 pm »

When I played this a few months ago, it was very broken. Have patches improved it any?
!!&!!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 05:54:46 pm »

When I played this a few months ago, it was very broken. Have patches improved it any?
Quite, as with the mods. We also have a fresh, new, buggy, multiplayer campaigns!

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 07:41:38 pm »

Okay, that isn't going to work.
You can set it so the player does not battle as the npc if you face one. Me and my friend set it like that so its way more realistic.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 07:57:11 am »

I played the demo of the game and it barely ran (But it did run!). I love the TW series especially Rome, but I just don't understand the tactics for this one. What should I be doing to utterly destroy my opponents? All I know about colonial warfare was that they stood in a line firing crappy guns and awesome cannons and then stabbed each other with bayonets.
This is the problem I was having. A square is supposed to be anti cavalry but I never noticed that particularly, it seemed better to have a nice long line of fire to take down as many as possible then counter charge with my cavalry.

Infact I found it strange to have a situation where you don't want as long a line as possible.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 08:33:01 am »

Well if the game wanted to handle square as that as balance... A square formation would lessen or eliminate the Charge bonus for Calvalry

But Calvalry are already weakened from their previous near almighty possition in the previous game. In fact Horses even tire easily in this game.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 08:51:12 am »

Also I like the way militia is handled now but it is ridiculously easy to conquer European countries. I was playing as England and owned France in about 4 turns. I had this ridiculous battle with a single infantry unit and 4 horse units defeating an entire army of French armed rabble or whatever it is called simply by charging them with everything at once and watching them leg it.
My HoM.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 09:00:10 am »

This is the problem I was having. A square is supposed to be anti cavalry but I never noticed that particularly, it seemed better to have a nice long line of fire to take down as many as possible then counter charge with my cavalry.

The point of the square is, historically, to be able to fire on cavalry if they try and flank you. Cavalry charge won't work very well against the front of a line.

I have to admit to not using squares much though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 09:59:31 am »

This is why I always found the schiltrom to be useless though in MEII, sure it denys the enemy your flank but it's at a ridiculous cost. If I was really worried about being flanked I'd just turn them rather than waste half my unit facing in entirely the wrong direction. It's formations like that which leave me unable to use them as part of an overall formation. I just have no idea where to put them such that half the mean aren't facing the wrong way.
My HoM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:00 am »

Though since Cannons are all of a sudden VERY good. It does change the battlefield up quite a bit.

Unfortunately Cannon AI is worse then ever
Pages: 1 [2] 3