Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Empire: Total War  (Read 3551 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Empire: Total War
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »

The game is great, aside from a few bugs, and the AI's random treatment of diplomacy.
My favorite part so far is that it actually has a strong emphasis on ranged combat and skirmishing. The new treatment of artillery is a big improvement as well, a far cry from previous games where most artillery were useless in most situations (at least for me).

But sometimes cannons are just ridiculous particularly 12 mortars surrounded by line infantry, you can take out a full stack with zero casualties.

The biggest problem I've had is how the AI behaves, half of the time in the America theater i find myself attacked by a full stack of MOUNTED NATIVE AUXILIARY, it is the most annoying thing ever. Other times a full stack will sit by one of my city for decades, until i destroy their empire.

Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 05:14:12 pm »

Yeah, gave up on this game for now. Seems like CA has as well, as all the bug testing is going towards Napolean:total war being released in feb.

Darth mod is amazing for land battles. I can slow down my computer with 40000 troops on the screen, but ai manuevers wonky with large units. It's pretty damn epic to watch though.

But darth mod fucks up sea battles bad. The scattershot to take out troops have beefed up power and close range shots do more damage... as a result pulling up to a 6th rate as another 6th rate I can make the enemy ship EXPLODE in one shot of crap meant to take out crewmen. I tested this out multiple times, each time resulting in either my ship not getting a shot off in time and getting hammered, or giving them a full volley which resulted in instant explosion.

I wonder if that has been fixed.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 05:28:17 pm »

I dislike how you start in Empires... I like to build out from one or two regions, which is why I played as scotland/england so much in Medieval 2.
Also, my PC can't run Empires, but my sisters' can, when I babysit for her kids... Although, her ram is terrible compared to the rest of her awesome rig - 512mb ram?! Madness. So, it all runs fine, but the loading screens take 5-15 minutes... Eugh...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

Though since Cannons are all of a sudden VERY good. It does change the battlefield up quite a bit.

Unfortunately Cannon AI is worse then ever
Well there were huge advances in the artillery department since the middle ages ya know  :D

Gotta love the Ottomans!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 09:22:09 pm »

Though since Cannons are all of a sudden VERY good. It does change the battlefield up quite a bit.

Unfortunately Cannon AI is worse then ever
Well there were huge advances in the artillery department since the middle ages ya know  :D

Gotta love the Ottomans!

Yeah but it is like they sucked the intelligence out of Siege machines and put it into power :P

At least my Dead Elephant General thinks so.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:28:40 pm by Neonivek »

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »

I dislike how you start in Empires... I like to build out from one or two regions, which is why I played as scotland/england so much in Medieval 2.
Also, my PC can't run Empires, but my sisters' can, when I babysit for her kids... Although, her ram is terrible compared to the rest of her awesome rig - 512mb ram?! Madness. So, it all runs fine, but the loading screens take 5-15 minutes... Eugh...
We should be able to play as Scotland. The U.K. was formed in 1707.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 05:46:49 pm »

We should be able to play as Scotland. The U.K. was formed in 1707.
There might be a mod for it.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 02:55:53 am »

I have not seen any scotland mods out yet myself, but there are plenty of Scotland unit mods for the British army so maybe somebody will collect those and make a new faction sometime. As far as starting small, there are a few mods out that allow the player to control the minor factions, which are often just one city. However, Prussia is a major faction, a playable one, that starts with 2 cities, damn good ones even.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »

Scotland mods don't make any sense.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 06:26:37 pm »

Scotland mods don't make any sense.
That's the point to it. It's just cool.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »

Well, I've aquired this recently and have been playing it and I have to say I hate it. Maybe I haven't given it enough time or something but I was put of the moment I conquered France about 5 turns with the garrison of London. This was despite a mob that massively outnumbered me but seemed unwilling to actually fuire on me with all those rifles they had. There are still quite a lot of annoying bugs which result in units spazzing up a bit as to where there individual men are meant to be and to be quite frank I found combat boring. Watching my men take 5 hours to reload a bloody musket is not my idea of fun and I quit the game after I realised I was just auto resolving every battle. The Total War series has always been about the battles to me, with the campaign meerly providing meaning, so that when I go into a battle with a (dis)advantage it is for a reason other than "Because I chose to" and so that winning has more incentive than simply a change to the screen at the end of the battle. Once I stopped fighting the battles two thing happened firstly the game becam slightly more enjoyable and secondly I relised that it was pointless, I was simply playing a not that good TBS, a passable game but with Dragon Age calling to me why waste my time on passable? I guess that for now I'll stick to Rome when I need my RTT hit, as it is the most fun of series to date.

EDIT:
Also Earlier comments in this thread were made after playing a few battles in campaign mode at a LAN. This one is my opinion after playing it for a couple of days. I'd actually almost completely forgotten about the fact I'd played it before and I find it amusing that my strategy (screw over France) was identical in both games, Guess I haven't changed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:03:25 pm by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »

I bought this during the Steam Christmas sale.

My comp doesn't run it very well, so I dial down the graphics.

...which turns all my soldiers into static sprites.  Well actually, most of them.  Some of them actually get animated models, but mixed in with 'em are ugly UGLY sprites, and occasionally they flicker between the two while on screen.

On top of that my troops have a strange resistance to doing what I bloody tell them.  BASIC crap, like MELEE FIGHT or MOVE.

So, yeah.  Blew my money.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 04:39:54 am »

Once I stopped fighting the battles two thing happened firstly the game becam slightly more enjoyable and secondly I relised that it was pointless, I was simply playing a not that good TBS, a passable game but with Dragon Age calling to me why waste my time on passable? I guess that for now I'll stick to Rome when I need my RTT hit, as it is the most fun of series to date.

Out of interest what would you change to make it more fun, I quiet enjoy the style of game without battles.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:46 am »

I uninstalled it when i found out that they were dumping extra units onto my HD every patch and then give me in game pop ups demanding money before letting me use them. I will not be purchasing Nap either.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03:46 am »

Once I stopped fighting the battles two thing happened firstly the game becam slightly more enjoyable and secondly I relised that it was pointless, I was simply playing a not that good TBS, a passable game but with Dragon Age calling to me why waste my time on passable? I guess that for now I'll stick to Rome when I need my RTT hit, as it is the most fun of series to date.

Out of interest what would you change to make it more fun, I quiet enjoy the style of game without battles.
Lower reload times, increase damage, lower morale, possibly give cavalry a slight buff and a slight increase to all unit speeds. As is it feels like its taking forever for anything to happen in the game, and I have to sit there watching volley after slow volley for half an hour, or else it's a scrum of men taking years for either side to disengage.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 2 [3]