Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Preferences and trees.  (Read 421 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Dwarf Preferences and trees.
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:32 am »

If a dwarf has a preference for a certain kind of wood, will trees of that wood count?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Preferences and trees.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:09:37 am »

They may also try and choose the wood they like when in a mood if that kind of wood is available. I think it can also affect how they think of an object or furniture when its decorated or made of a wood they like.

AFAIK, I don't think living trees count as I haven't seen anything that would hint at liking the trees. They aren't elves ya know.

Its probably similar to what soil type they like (they'll even like calcerous ooze, which is a deep sea soil, lol) which doesn't have any effect on their thoughts.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:15:09 pm »

The preference for a kind of wood means they like items made from that kind of wood. Preferences for locations(Such as an obsidian preference), will make a dwarf overestimate the value of a room with walls/floors of that material, and furniture of that material, by something of 200%(?). Trees do not add any value to rooms as far as I know, so by that logic, trees do not add anything for the dwarf, but cut it down for a wooden wall and he will love it(Walls are valued at 3, block walls at 5).
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 06:41:14 pm »

Preferences also give a boost to quality levels when a dwarf works with a material he likes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.