Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a goblin "Liasonplomat."  (Read 900 times)

WagglyCocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a goblin "Liasonplomat."
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:16 am »

http://imgur.com/XO3ed

I'm using version 40d16, and this is my first time ever using the "Reclaim" function. I've noticed a number of things that strike me as unusual, like friendly leftover goblins that just hang around outside enjoying the sunshine. I didn't have to fight anything to reclaim the fort, we just marched right in with no opposition.

Anyway, will I get to set up trade agreements or something with this guy? Did I do something to make the goblins pleased with me?
Sorry,
If I'm on internet forums I'm probably drunk.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: I have a goblin "Liasonplomat."
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:19:05 am »

That's the outpost liaison from your civ. He just happens to be a goblin. It happens during world generation sometimes; goblins from captured towers ascend to positions of authority in dwarven civs.

As for the goblins, they're probably prisoners from your previous time at the fort that you never bothered to execute.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

WagglyCocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:34:42 am »

That's the outpost liaison from your civ. He just happens to be a goblin. It happens during world generation sometimes; goblins from captured towers ascend to positions of authority in dwarven civs.

As for the goblins, they're probably prisoners from your previous time at the fort that you never bothered to execute.

I'm very new to the game and captured no goblins. In fact, the map had no defenses whatsoever. No traps, no military, no whatever I've never used before. In fact, I was actively trying to let everyone die so I could start over, which was surprisingly difficult. One group of invaders, as far as I can tell, got bored of chasing dozens of cats in circles and either out of boredom or exhaustion, just left.

For some reason, the final group of invaders managed to kill everyone but one cripple who was wasting away in a bed. They never went down to the bedrooms so I had to just wait for him to expire before I could get my long-awaited "reclaim."
Sorry,
If I'm on internet forums I'm probably drunk.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:48:25 am »

Ah, that would explain it.

The goblins on your map are the invaders who destroyed your last fortress. They stick around as friendlies if you reclaim immediately. Be warned, they won't stay friendly forever, I think.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 04:03:03 am »

They'll probably become hostile when you next get sieged.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:28:40 am »

I'm very new to the game and captured no goblins.

For the record, he's not talking about goblins that *you* captured. He's talking about world-history wars.

During world generation, wars will happen, and if your civilization ever captured a goblin tower, then the goblins (and other people) living there will become assimilated members of your civilization, and can wind up holding important positions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:01:29 am »

Wait.  Can a goblin that's part of a dwarven civ be named "Urist"?  How do things get named when they're born in the civ of another race?  If it's NOT possible for a non-dwarf to be named "Urist", then a dwarf somehow transformed into a goblin.

By the way, it's a "liaisonplomat" because the "liaison" is running into the "diplomat" in the column that displays the task your dwarves are performing or the creature's relation to your fortress.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:52 am »

Wait.  Can a goblin that's part of a dwarven civ be named "Urist"?  How do things get named when they're born in the civ of another race?  If it's NOT possible for a non-dwarf to be named "Urist", then a dwarf somehow transformed into a goblin.

By the way, it's a "liaisonplomat" because the "liaison" is running into the "diplomat" in the column that displays the task your dwarves are performing or the creature's relation to your fortress.

If they were born into the society, that could happen.