Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2  (Read 7387 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Assassin's Creed 2
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »

Tee-hee. Yes, Paranoia. That's exactly what they're going for with the MP mode, and it sounds like a lot of fun. The only difference is in RL Assassin, your would-be attacker isn't visible running up walls or wearing ominous non-period clothing :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:53:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:12 pm »

If it's anything like "The Ship" I might have to suck on the DRM and buy it.

That would be great.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »

Back on the game....I have to say, AC1 had the superior story by far. AC2's story may be more complete (a sort of life history of Ezio)...but the writing has fallen way flatter. Altair, even though he was a total asshole, I'm liking more than Ezio. I'm to the part where Ezio works with his uncle....and I feel like I'm playing a bad RPG all of the sudden, because the dialog is all over the place.

And the villains. The great part about AC1's story is you're presented with these ostensibly villainous guys, who do all these horrible things...and it turns out they actually have very believable motivations for doing what they do. The villains were believable characters, and that in turn makes you believe Altair's cognitive dissonance with the whole thing.

AC2? They're comic book villains. "Mwhahahah, I will kill your family, burn your house down, and rape your goats, because I dislike you that much and I live for being bad! Mwuahahaha!" They made a weak justification for Omberto being a templar and killing your family, but the first Pattzi you kill is basically a card board cut out with a doublet that says "Hate me" and "shank me" on it.

I also kind of miss the death conversations. I'm sure they annoyed a lot of other people....but rather than just getting rid of them, now they have "the death conversation" made up of one or two lines. "What, were you expecting a confession?"

Nice Ubi. Always good when devs mock their own game within the game. Why even bother with the extra loading screen....I don't need to watch Ezio cradle the dude he just killed THAT bad.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:02:23 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 10:05:22 pm »

I rather enjoyed the several hours I spend playing AC1 and AC2 each at my friends house on his 360. I liked the gameplay and the story. Stabbing people just never seems to get old  ;D I actually would probably get them for my own home PC (I don't have a 360) but for the whole DRM thing  :-[ My internet connection just isn't consistant enough. I would likely get dropped out several times an hour.

It would be best not to turn this thread into yet another DRM argument though. Please.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »

It would be best not to turn this thread into yet another DRM argument though. Please.
Translation: *duct tape sound* Quick, hold Soul so I can tape his mouth shut!

I haven't played AC2 due to DRM, but if I gave in and actually bought a console, I probably would have. I liked AC1 quite a bit tho, despise some obvious flaws and lack of features.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 10:12:39 pm »

Translation: *duct tape sound* Quick, hold Soul so I can tape his mouth shut!

I haven't played AC2 due to DRM, but if I gave in and actually bought a console, I probably would have. I liked AC1 quite a bit tho, despise some obvious flaws and lack of features.

Hehe, I know. Its hard to keep my own mouth shut. I got to rage at the DRM on a thread on another forum only yesterday though, so I am calm enough to keep it out of this thread.

What sorts of things did you find fault with in the first game?
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »

Probably the same thing I hate about pretty much every modern game. It lacked dynamic content and got repetitive too fast. There was no replayability either. The way they tried to make the game last, again another modern game approach flaw, was through giving cookies AKA achievements and grindtastic rewards. I mean, I love when someone gives me a cookie, but the way games are doing it is more similar to training dogs with snacks than actually rewarding you.

So yes, I finished the game and thought 'so what now?' and went to do some of the things you could do. It died there for me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 03:16:41 am »

Ok, I'm here to tempt you to the darkside.

I liked AC1 quite a bit tho, despise some obvious flaws and lack of features.

As I've said above, that was mine, and pretty much everyone's biggest gripe with the game. "I love doing this stuff, but damn is it repetitive. Why am I collecting flags and what not for MS points I'll never use."

AC2 addresses ALL THAT, in spades, IMO.

Here's a list of non-storyline stuff to do that I've found so far.

-4 pieces of armor, and 5 sets of armor total, to buy at Blacksmiths. Armor reduces damage and adds health bars. Each set looks different.
-22 weapons, which are varieties of daggers, swords, maces and two-handed weapons, each with varying levels of damage, speed and parry capacity. Also included are throwing knives, primitive guns, smoke bombs, bows and multiple levels of your hidden blade.
-Tailors can re-dye your clothes different colors. I've found 9 different variations so far. They also sell bags that hold more instant medicine for Ezio to use.
-Doctors can heal you for a fee, and sell medicine for you to use on the spot.
-Your notoriety level can go from incognito to notorious. When you're notorious, wanted posters appear around the cities, heralds talk shit about you, and government officials start wandering around. Tearing down posters, bribing heralds and killing officials brings down your notoriety level. How guards react to you, and at what speed they react to you, is based on notoriety. At zero, you can stand next to them and they don't care. They even warn you when you do bad stuff. At max, 10 seconds of close observation puts them on full attack.
-You can pick pocket people on the street, and loot bodies for cash. This adds to notoriety.
-You can chase down pick pockets across the rooftops, and beat them up for their money. They randomly spawn in the cities, and lots of times you'll see them tearing across rooftops with archers chasing them.
-You can track down tax collectors, and beat the crap out of them for lots of money. Lots of notoriety there.
-You can hire thieves, mercenaries, and prostitutes to become your little crew. They provide "blending" cover, fight for you and can be used to distract guards.
-Race missions, beat up missions, courier missions, all for cash.
-Your own private villa and city. You can renovate the whole place using your cash, buy a blacksmith, art dealer, doctor, bank and tailor up to three levels. Higher levels provide better equipment and discounts for you in the city. You can also renovate the church, the thieves guild, the brothel, the barracks, the well and some other shit.
-All the stuff you collect: weapons, armor, items, renovations, codex pages, art, EVERYTHING....adds to the value of your city. Every 20 minutes, this value is deposited in a personal chest for you to play with. As you renovate the city, its whole look changes, going from looking like Transylvania to the Italian Countryside.
-Codex pages. 30 pages that, when found, need to be taken to Da Vinci to decode. When they're decoded, your hidden blade gets upgraded, and you get some more health. The pages are also aligned on a wall in your villa. They form a giant puzzle that you need to arrange using Eagle Vision. What happens when you complete it, I don't know. Each codex page also either has flavor text, or some medieval/renaissance images. It's a diary that Altair started. It's actually pretty good reading, half of it sounds like it's drawn from the Life Advice forum here.
-The Glyph missions. Basically Dan Brown style puzzles with a lot of art history going on, that when solved unlocks a small video that show you "the truth." You have to first find the glyphs in the cities with Eagle Vision, then solve the puzzles, which get increasingly harder, vague and numerous to unlock the next part. Stuff like...scanning an image in infrared, looking for a secret hidden imagine within it. Or giving you 10 images and telling you to pick 5 based on some metaphorical instructions. Sometimes the images need to be sequenced right as well. Often they'll mix multiple types of puzzles into one puzzle, like taking an image and splitting it into rings that you have to sequence, then making harder still by making the order in which the rings have to be sequenced specific. At first I thought they were too easy and cheesy...but they're getting really tough now. Really trying not to use spoilers, but on some of them I've just given up "solving them" and just started entering combinations.
-The Seals missions. 6 secret seals hidden in tombs throughout the game. Collecting them all and placing them in the villa's vault unlocks the highest level of armor, Altair's armor.
-Art Dealers sell art that you can buy and hang in your gallery in the villa. Lots of choice RL renaissance art pieces.   
-Feathers to collect. Collecting all 100 and putting them in a chest in your mother's room helps her recover from all the shit that's happened to your family. When you get all 100, I assume you get a warm fuzzy.
-Multiple cities. The last game had them, but by 75% through, you were starting to get burnt out on just finding view points and doing missions. So far in AC2, there's been Florence which is the biggest main city, then two other much smaller cities, your own and the city of the Pattzis'. Each one has ALL the stuff I've mentioned above, so none of them have been one shot experiences. Completely clearing a city takes a long, long time since it's very easy to get distracted. AC2 has GTA4 levels of extra stuff to do around every corner. Combined with the notoriety mechanics, there is a lot of dynamics going on to game play that the player is largely responsible for creating. 

They've also expanded the amount of stuff Ezio could do over Altair in the last game. You can assassinate from a lot of different positions now, like over ledges and from haystacks and stuff. You can throw dirt in people's eyes when fighting unarmed. Lots more weapons. A flying machine at some point. You can throw money on to the ground, which makes wandering minstrels fuck off, and makes crowds of people go insane with greed. Pretty funny to watch and to do in combat.

The best overall feature change though is the BLENDING. No more "4 completely obvious priests walking in the street." There are still "clumps" of people walking as a group, but instead of locking into them, you just have to get inside the ring and you get blending while still moving freely. This makes using the crowds to move MUCH MUCH easier and more immersive, as you seamlessly blend in and out of cover on the busy streets. They almost went overkill with it, you can blend with as few as 2 people.

The behavior of NPCs and the AI in pretty impressive, and comes with all the immersion goodies like screaming shit at you in Italian, and paying attention and reacting to the stuff you do in front of them. Nothing funnier than dumping a corpse off a roof into the middle of a busy street.

There are also different enemy archetypes now. Agile guys dodge a ton of your attacks but get tired if you repeatedly attack them. Bashers are dudes in heavy armor and take a lot of abuse, and ignore stuff like grabs. Seekers are really good at finding you when you're trying to hide or blend. When they start mixing up enemy types, combat gets even more nuts than it was in the last game.

Is that enough extra stuff for you to drool over? :P

They also DONT make you break away from the memory sequences every hour to check back on Desmond, which is nice.

edit

666 views. <head bangs>
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:09:10 am by nenjin »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 07:56:23 am »

I beat this game a while ago actually. Got all the art, went to all the viepoints, bought all the weapons, unlocked the badass armor, got all the feathers (Crowning moment of heartwarming and a badass warhammer await you if you do), Renovated the villa, punched the pope, got all the codex pages, and deciphered all the glyphs.

Also, to anyone who has this game, I highly recommend getting the DLC that gives the two missing chapters. If only because you get to fly Da Vinci's flying machine again.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 09:52:01 am »

Maybe I didn't get it, but I cringed -big time- everytime the villains in AC1 started their "Why did I do it" speech.

Their characters might have been rich-ish, the writing might have been acceptable, the reasons believable... but it's like the friggin death-scene from "The Mask" with Jim Carrey.

"Excuse me while I recite 'War and Peace' with my last breath."

Sure. And while you're at it, why don't you free dance 'Gone with the Wind' for me?

Seriously.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 11:40:19 am »

It was the price Altair had to pay for being such a bad ass, and such a dick head. He has to listen to everyone's epitaph.

Ezio, being badass but almost a momma's boy by comparison, gets to skip it.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:05 am »

I thought Altiar was a better character as far as personality and skill it took to do everything with out special gadgets.
I fould ac2 to have a better overall game though and higher places to explore. (I love heights)
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 01:28:33 pm »

Is that enough extra stuff for you to drool over? :P
Maybe for pirating if I find a version that wont install the DRM in the first place.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 01:44:24 pm »

I hate desmond. If they release a game where you are desmond doing assassin shit in real life I will not play it.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 01:49:18 pm »

You know it's going there. I suspect it's also:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically by the time the series hits modern times, I fully expect Desmond to turn into the dude from Prototype, and start leaping over buildings instead of climbing them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:52:32 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8