Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 2  (Read 7353 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Assassin's Creed 2
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »

Well you know, managing all the money that comes from her brother murder the fuck out of everyone, it ages you significantly :P Meanwhile Ezio is just drinking people's lifeforce all the time. You're supposed to think his requiem for his victims is about closure, or the story, but no, it's so he can steal their souls as they try to escape. Beats Italian Mud Baths, that's for sure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2011, 01:32:15 pm »

Ezio's sister looks the same in both games, yet in the first she starts out as 17 and in Brotherhood she's closer to 40.

Thats funny, I have heard a theory on that.

It says that she is really that old, but to Ezio, she is still that young. Since you are in Ezio's mind, it would make sense that you got his mental portayals of her instead of who she really was.

It certainly makes sense.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2011, 01:36:25 pm »

Passage of time and aging is a bit dubious in AC2 and AC:B in any case. Ezio's sister looks the same in both games, yet in the first she starts out as 17 and in Brotherhood she's closer to 40.

It's just that Ezio always saw the same young girl when looking at her, and so it seems to when we watch Ezio's memories... (EDIT: Japanese Epic Assassin'd)

Nah, it's a bit fudged up. Same applies for Ezio's mom - she doesn't change noticeably during her 30 or so years of storyline. I guess all that praying preserved her youthful grace.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:43 pm »

That portrait is supposed to be from 1505. He should've looked like that in-game, as I think that's when you last speak to him. And he does get noticably older in-game, I think. Just not actually the way the portraits show.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2011, 01:10:35 am »

Another fun thing is that Leonardo's political stance has been effectively reversed... he was on the Borgia side in real life, I think. (of course, that's just Templar propaganda yadayada)

I often ponder how I would introduce the modern world to Galileo Galilei, Leonardo and other scientists who had a great impact in shaping it. But I'm not sure whether I'd show AC II or Brotherhood to Leonardo. The maestro could find it offensive if it was too different from him, unnerving if it was too accurate, and at least odd that he's best friends with a fictional hero and enemies with his real life allies the Borgia.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2011, 01:58:39 am »

He works for the Borgia in the game too, but acts as a mole for Ezio.

According to the WP entry he also did some work for the Ottomans in Constantinople.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:46 am »

Being forced to work with the Borgia is not quite the same as doing it voluntarily... I'm not sure where I picked this up, but I think he was quite a loyal supporter of the family.

And so, we'll probably see 'Nardy in Revelations as well. Hooray!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:46 am »

Pretty sure we throw away perfect historical accuracy when there's a millenias long Templar conspiracy to take over the world with Alien Technology. Just sayin. They even make fun of their own plot in the first game when Kristen Bell mentions some incident she's not allowed to talk about in their secret facility under the Denver Airport.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:23 am »

Yeah, I've got no objections to minor lack of accuracy. Just so long as it's not too dramatic. It's just that thigns are so easy to lampshade by using that Templar thing, but luckily the only big issue they've covered with that so far is the fact that no one remembers mass murders of Borgia officials in the early 16th Century.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2011, 08:12:35 am »

Then again, you could always have people rewrite history as something else for a few extra coins. After all, Humans did write the books on history.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2011, 09:26:26 am »

Whether that's a bad thing or not is subjective. I prefer my human-written book to the one written by my pet anteater. Heck, I can't even read most of the words, except for "champagne" on page 47 and "analog" on page 68.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:12 am »

But that does not change or challenge my point. History in the books is easily change. Who would want to be renember as a bastard or utterly unimportant person when you drop some money to "slightly alter" something. Hell, thats even an Assassin Recruit mission in AC: Brotherhood! You have to bribe a person that was making a History book because he had too much on the Assassin Order inside it.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2011, 11:41:22 am »

Really, I think history written by humans is ok.

1. It's the best we've got, unless you believe that the Bible/other holy book was written by a Holy Being Above All Corruption or that there exists an Encyclopedia Galactica written by aliens who have no interest in anything but factual portrayal of history.

2. History is a science, and theories should be backed up by evidence just like any other scientific theory.

3. Most things aren't politically interesting enough to warrant fabrication. Many things also lose their political interest as time passes and the associated parties die or disband.

4. Propaganda doesn't reach everywhere for practical reasons. There's a very good reason for a ruling party to fabricate harvest reports for the news, but they have no reason for deluding themselves. It is unlikely they use documents fabricated by themselves for deciding next year's farming policy.

5. Peer review - historians are really likely to challenge each other with facts and hypotheses, and typically stuff gets accepted as true only after it's accepted by most historians. Controlling history would require one to control the majority and the constructed history would still have to be plausible.

6. It doesn't really matter, we're all going to die sooner or later anyway. Better to concentrate at situations at hand than to ponder whether or not our past is real.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »

I have a number of problems with your post.

1. No real problems with this, but still, it holds no support for your arguement.

2. Evidence can be destoried. If someone was determined enough, it is probable that he could destory all evidence of such an event. And this was much more true in Pre- to Early-Modern times. They lacked a vast majority of tech we have today. Perhaps far more then you think.

3. You also do not seem to understand Human nature. I say again, would you rather be seen as an Asshole or a Hero in history? Not just for some time, but forever. You also seem to not understand how far history goes back. The Roman Empire Existed somewhere around 3000 years ago. We still know a majority of events about them, such as there Conquests, Leaders, and Culture. We also still know and hate the people who were Assholes among them, and we are not going to forget the Roman Empire any time soon.

4. But everyone else will think that it was their harvest report, and since it was nothing of importance to most people, it is not really investgated. And when someone comes along wanting to record the Harvest reports, guess what they will get? As a hint, I will just say that the Ruler may not be so eager to release the truth, and telling that world that he had lied.

5. You also misunderstand how things back then worked. There was no TV News station, there were no Daily Papers, there were also no civil rights. Another thing is that there were not many historians who wrote History Books, because getting enough information could take Months, Years, even Decades! Combined with the fact that everything was handwritten, and you have not many people willing to take on the task. Rulers could however help, by providing funding and such, as long as you left out some certain pecies of information...
And even if you wrote a history book without any help back then, you still have to deal with a Nation not being so happy with what you provided. Fastforward a few decades, and you have someone wanting to write another history book, but all you have is what the last man wrote into the books. Given that they were funded or "encouraged" to leave out info by another nation, all you would have to work off of is false info.

6. History matters far more then how you make it sound. Knowing the past will allow us to learn from our mistakes, and help us preditic the future. If we threw away history like it was nothing, then we would have people making the same mistakes again and again, and maybe even throw another Hitler our way.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »

6. History matters far more then how you make it sound. Knowing the past will allow us to learn from our mistakes, and help us preditic the future. If we threw away history like it was nothing, then we would have people making the same mistakes again and again, and maybe even throw another Hitler our way.

I do not agree with this. The fact there once was a Hitler will not prevent the rise of another Hitler. People will still makes the same mistakes over and over unless a problem touched them personally. There will probably never be another german Hitler, but nothing prevent an asian Hitler to rise to power. At least that's what I think.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8