Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back to dwarf fortress...  (Read 1627 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Back to dwarf fortress...
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »

So, I've been gone from the wonderful world of DF for entirely too long. Today I decided to give it a look to see where things are at... I'm absolutely amazed. Tears came to my eyes as I saw that the latest update is near completion! I just got a glimpse of that Stonesense practically real time viewer program. That was absolutely amazing. I can only wait for a real time completely support model of a "3D" viewer for DF. It's only a matter of time, you all are amazing IMO.

Entirely too much time spent away from good video games and good communities all together. Hopefully once my plans come together, which I am sad to say aren't going to be before this coming release. I'll be able to donate a sizable amount of mullah.

Also a heads up, got a new job working for a not so well known company designing a new game, I play the part of idea man/story writer/3d modeler currently. I'll keep you guys in the loop of what's going on with the game, it's in early development at the moment, but it has the drive and determination to be a wonderful and original game.

Also, being back to DF, I was curious if anyone would want to chat about DF on IM or chatroom or something, help stay in the mood of DF. Maybe fill me in on the new must have programs to run with DF as well.

Lastly, amazing work everyone! Sad to see the smaller donation for this month, but that's life, keep up the amazing work Toady! Glad to see that so far the DF community is toughing it out through hard times.

I guess this thread is about "Reaching out and touching people." no dirty/nasty bits intended, but for some of you, I'll let that fly!

OH!!! Before I forget, a long while ago... about 5 months ago possibly I posted a thread stating that I was going to be working on treasure salvage down in Key West. Wonderful news, we were able to locate the wreck! Then shark season showed up and swimming became very dangerous. Have acquired a boat for shallow work and a 150 ish foot ship for the deep sea stuff. Next year, I may just make it on the news with the recovery of the wreck... it's not quick work, so either 2010 or 2011. With that said, being that DF has been an outlet of many things for myself, once the recovery is complete and I've been paid my share, Toady will get a sizable donation as a thanks for keeping me sane. =-D
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to dwarf fortress...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:29:26 pm »

Welcome back!  You're just in time for the last mile.  Awesome news about the salvage!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »

it's not quick work, so either 2010 or 2011.
Just make sure you make it before 2012 :D.

I was curious if anyone would want to chat about DF on IM or chatroom or something
There's a DF IRC channel, I don't remember details, could someone post them here (would be useful for me too)?

Welcome Back!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:28:56 pm »

there are severall df channels. the one in quakenet is simple #dwarffortress
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 04:07:43 am »

The official channel is at #bay12games on irc.newnet.net

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 07:41:11 am »

Sweet, I'll have to get on that, just got X3: Reunion, so I wanted to give that a try first >.<

I'm so totally stoked for the next release, I all most want to just wait so I don't lose an awesome fort that I just started planning... I'm pretty sure you'll all get where I got the idea once I upload a few pics once I get it near resembling what I want. Let's just say "The City of Kings" is being inhabited by "The Fellowship of Mortals" Running legendary lands mod and I had all my wardogs mercilessly slaughtered by a single animated sword... All 5 dead within 3 seconds. It made me cry a little bit... Was like doody doopty doo building mah floors, "Wardog has be struck down!" F*** What?!?!? Go to scene of act... Blood... EVERYWHERE!
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »

At the risk of sounding like an ass:

Why would you get X3: Reunion now, when Terran Conflict got it's final patch not long ago. TC is really -really- a lot more polished than Reunion is or ever will be. =/

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 06:46:08 pm »

Thought it was the latest of the series. Guess I'll have to look into that one. Either way, it lets me get used to using a joystick again.

And I'd like to point out, after playing DF after an absence of about 6 months, it's like a bicycle... I didn't forget anything!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:34 am »

OH!!! Before I forget, a long while ago... about 5 months ago possibly I posted a thread stating that I was going to be working on treasure salvage down in Key West. Wonderful news, we were able to locate the wreck! Then shark season showed up and swimming became very dangerous. Have acquired a boat for shallow work and a 150 ish foot ship for the deep sea stuff. Next year, I may just make it on the news with the recovery of the wreck... it's not quick work, so either 2010 or 2011. With that said, being that DF has been an outlet of many things for myself, once the recovery is complete and I've been paid my share, Toady will get a sizable donation as a thanks for keeping me sane. =-D

Mind telling me more about that?  That sounds really neat.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:27:51 am »

Dear Toady: At work I hunt for sunken treasure in shark-infested waters. Dwarf Fortress is what I play when I want something REALLY awesome.

This is like the best DF advertisement ever.

DWARF FORTRESS: BETTER THAN TREASURE
MORE EXCITING THAN SHARKS
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 12:58:25 am »

My grandfather has been in the treasure hunting biz for quite a long while, if you look up the Atocha, my grandpa helped Mel Fisher find that wreck. Mel Fisher being a back stabbing prick, screwed my grandpa over. Over there years he found other stuff. He led a very... exciting and not so legal life. Let's just put in this way... Someone goes "Man I have a lot of weed!" shows like a single kilo of weed. I then proceed to say... "That's not a lot... Ever seen 50000 pounds of it?"... Anywho! He grew tired of his sitting around doing nothing more or less for like the past decade or so and wanted to do a salvage wreck again and invited myself to join him in the recovery of one of the wrecks down in Key West with tons of gold and gems on it. Was down there July and August locating the wreck, working out permit details, etc. If any of you heard news from down in Key West of a "vicious shark attack" There was no vicious, the woman came up to the surface of the water distressed screaming for help and then went under water and disappeared, just as a huge shark swam by. End story, chick got swallowed whole. That's about when we stopped working in the water and worked on paper work more or less. But we got most of the equipment, along with the boats. One is like a 30 footer and the other is a canadian ice breaker 150 footer.

@Shadow_Archmagi: Sometimes you just need to be able to do something epic, treasure salvage and sharks don't quite cover what DF can do, but that's just probably cause I've done a lot of it. -shrugs-

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 05:01:59 am »

Dear Toady: At work I hunt for sunken treasure in shark-infested waters. Dwarf Fortress is what I play when I want something REALLY awesome.

This is like the best DF advertisement ever.

DWARF FORTRESS: BETTER THAN TREASURE
MORE EXCITING THAN SHARKS

but DF got ZOMBIE SHARKS only flying zombie ninja robot pirate sharks are more awesome ;p
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:12:11 pm »

Haha, now would that be an addition of the [AMBUSH] and [SPEAK:PIRATE] and [EQUIPMENT:EYE_PATCH]? Robot... Uhm... [NO_EMOTION]?

There we go... a flying zombie ninja robot pirate shark... Sneaks in for the kill invisibly, goes for your children first, feels no remorse, noms some brains, and vanishes without a trace, all before you guards are able to show up and defend your nursery that was in the heart of your fortress. Next you get the "AMBUSH! Kill them!" bit and you find out it's a megalodon shark.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »

Haha, now would that be an addition of the [AMBUSH] and [SPEAK:PIRATE] and [EQUIPMENT:EYE_PATCH]? Robot... Uhm... [NO_EMOTION]?

There we go... a flying zombie ninja robot pirate shark... Sneaks in for the kill invisibly, goes for your children first, feels no remorse, noms some brains, and vanishes without a trace, all before you guards are able to show up and defend your nursery that was in the heart of your fortress. Next you get the "AMBUSH! Kill them!" bit and you find out it's a megalodon shark.
Someone HAVE to draw that!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...