Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DirectTV or DishDVR  (Read 948 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DirectTV or DishDVR
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:17:34 pm »

My mom's been bugging me that maybe she should change cable providers. She's given me two different advertisements to look over, and I'm supposed to glean meaningful information from them and give her a good answer.

Well... if I ever encountered anything that lied to my face, advertisements would have to be the ones that do it the most frequently and the most blatantly. So I ask, from you experience, which is the better: DirectTV or DishDVR?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: DirectTV or DishDVR
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »

Never had DishDVR, I'm using DirectTV right now and it works fine.  Just make sure the dish is pointed correctly so you have a stable signal.  You only loss signal in rainstorms and that only counts for your cable tv.

So yeah, DirectTV is good.  It's not as expensive as other stuff too.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:13:01 pm »

DirectTV is what I have.  My grandma whines about how they change the channels on her, because they're conspiring against her, but who cares what she thinks?

It works fine, except the aforementioned rainstorms.  They have to be pretty big though, which sucks because if they're big enough to screw with the signal, they're big enough that you want to have the weather channel on in case things get all tornado-y.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:18:14 pm »

Oh yeah, if you don't like watching channels above 100 don't get DirectTV. Hehehe.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:16:42 am »

I have been ont he business of installing both products directly.  I have also used them both in custom applications on large scales.  DirecTV by far has the superior product and quality.  Its not even a contest.  Dish Network has a large amount of unique HD programming, but in the end, its all BS you probably wouldnt watch much of anyway (like the Equestrian Channel - but hey - maybe your into horses).

Now, DirecTV DVR's will integrate with your PC's via Cat5 and can read your PC media files and play them to your TV/Projector/Etc. 

IMHO.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »

What about comcast? I need to know as Mom just kind of screws herself with her impulsiveness and inability to read the small print. She just tried to switch to Comcast and then ran into an unexpected fee and is pissed off to high heaven.

Obsidean_00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:28:01 pm »

Lets see, I've used both services so I'll tell you what I've experienced.

Dish Network, they arrived the afternoon we ordered it and did the installation.  They charged us $40 a month for our package.  Customer service was helpful if we ever had to call and the problem was fixed within a day or so.  Returning the dish/receiver when we decided to switch... not so much.  No one really seemed to know what they wanted us to do, eventually they decided we had to ship the receiver to them at our own cost.. nice of them.

DIRECTv, salesman carried on a spiel about how we would save so much money from Dish Network and that they would give us a free dvr that would only cost us a fee of $5.00 a month and could be used with any package.  A call to DIRECTv got an installation truck to our place within a few days, bad sign although they could have just been busy.

We noticed that when the bill came we were being charged $10 a month for the dvr, not to mention the package we had chosen was also $10 more than we were told when we ordered it from DIRECTv.  We only got a few more channels than when we did with Dish Network so we decided to switch to a cheaper DIRECTv plan, upon which we were told that the dvr would only work with *some* of their packages.

So basically DIRECTv was slow, charged more, and pretty much lied to us.

I'd go with a different company, any other company in fact.