Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Personality Traits have actual game effect?  (Read 4235 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Personality Traits have actual game effect?
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:00 am »

Has anybody noticed that the personality traits of a dwarf (viewable from their profile menu) can have effects on their actions? For example, I had two dwarves wonder about in the outside forest when they had no job, and one "doesn't like being around crowds" the other "enjoys art and natural beauty"

On IRC I heard someone also report that lazy dwarves will take awhile before actually doing work.

So, is it just me or do some of the traits actually do something?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personality Traits have actual game effect?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:35:00 am »

I've noticed that some dwarves have MUCH longer "On Break" sessions than other dwarves do. I thought it might be variable, like if a dwarf had just completed a big job they might take a slightly longer break or something, but personality makes sense as well.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:15:00 am »

I was kind of hoping this would happen, even in a small way.  :)

I'd enjoy it also if the personality traits affected their ability to do certain types of work, like if say you make someone who isn't very sociable the person who meets with the trade liaison you get worse deals, or if you make a person who loves animals a trainer they get a boost to training time or somesuch.

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

I dont think that personality traits have any effects in the new version. I think Toady has mentioned that hes only added them for now, but they dont have any effects yet.

Markatta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:11:00 am »

I think they do, I started a fortress with the usual 7 dwarves. One of them had "very active" or something similar. When the time came for everyone to take their first nap he stayed up and did a lot more work before going to bed.

Haven't looked into it anymore since that but it can't be a coincidence, can it?

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

Don't forget that dwarves who are 'tough', 'very tough', etc. work longer before sleeping.  It could have been that.

Tag Plastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

I noticed a dwarf with the thought 'irritated to have to give water to someone', and their personality said 'doesn't go out of the way to help others'. Another dwarf with no strong helpfulness property simply had the thought 'gave water to someone'.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:49:00 am »

This could lead to something like "social cleansing", where someone would, um, remove the dwarves with the lesser traits.

Though, I have noticed the difference in the dwarves actions, I'm not sure if it is correlated to their traits.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

I am so hoping they do...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Tracker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

I want a noble with a huge whip whose job it is to get dwarves to get back to work when they go on break.
here''s men underground/who have never seen the sun/but they really know how to party/they raise their wooden pints/and they yoik and sing/and they fight and they dance ''till morning

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tracker:
<STRONG>I want a noble with a huge whip whose job it is to get dwarves to get back to work when they go on break.</STRONG>

Hmmmm Production Manager? No wait... "Production Manager".

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

I had a farmer who "didn't like authority" or something like that who was miserably unhappy due to having been stuck in a watery pit for about three months (I took my time getting the water out because I wanted him to get some "swimming lessons"). Instead of tantruming he went and yelled at my expedition leader for a while, eventually wandering off with the thought "he yelled at someone in authority lately but only became angrier".

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

The first time I got a chance to make a sheriff, I appointed a random dwarf. Then I looked at his profile, and it said he "finds rules confining." The fortress got abandoned shortly after so I didn't get to see if he was going to go vigilante on everybody, but the thought made some amusement...
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »

Allright, some posts from Toady back to September about personalities:

"The conversation skills they were using were a bit too spread out (they became dabblers in everything during meetings), so I decided to put in personalities today. They aren't used for much yet, but they are in."

"Everybody has a personality right now (everyone except vermin, anyway) even if they don't use them, and that would include your adventurers by default. I don't plan to force any player actions based on pre-rolled personalities, since I think that artificial restrictions would be aggravating when you are trying to roleplay."

"The personality effects are really just going in when I think of things. Suggestions are welcome whenever, though I won't be doing too much with it right now. For instance, dwarves will now clean their rooms more often if they prefer to keep things orderly, and if they are a very disorderly dwarf, they won't clean them at all. I haven't done a lot with this, but it's very easy to add the effects in. Some of the more extreme effects will require the more robust job prioritization system, since a dwarf that would otherwise compulsively clean their room won't currently do so because cleaning is generally a low priority job at present."

so basically personalities are added but not working yet.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

They come up in ten of fifteen places, but the effects aren't uniformly applied or sweeping ar this point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2