Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Rogue Trader  (Read 24761 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Trader
« on: November 20, 2009, 01:48:33 am »

Hey guys, I got me a copy of Rogue Trader. No, not first Edition WH40k; the follow up to Dark Heresy. I've read a good chunk of it, and it's pretty awesome. This thread is open for topical discussion, and we'll see where it goes from there.
!!&!!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:03:18 am »

I'd be up to play this -> with no prior experience.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:25:05 am »

Does it use the same rules as DH?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:31:39 am »

I don't think so Luke_Prowler, i've played one were you get to do space battles but I'm not sure if it's the new one
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:32:32 am »

I don't have the rulebook, but I can get a hold of it if a game starts.  I am so in.
Shoes...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:32 am »

oh I'm in if a game starts

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:45:58 pm »

A couple weeks ago I posted in the Warhammer discussion thread that I was getting the rulebook.  It's fucking cool, and I've come up with a (general) idea of how to run an all-comers roleplay game with it.

Essentially, and obviously, everyone would be crewmen on a Rogue Trader ship (including the Trader in person hopefully).  People could post whatever actions were appropriate to the moment whenever they cared to check in, and I as GM would move the "game" along a couple times a day, incorporating whatever actions have been posted in that time.  A little more abstract than a real Dark Heresy game, but more amenable to the timescale and forum participation.

I can't really get started for a couple weeks, but I can at least post some sign-up and character creation info a few days from now (university and all that).  Anyone interested?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »

A couple weeks ago I posted in the Warhammer discussion thread that I was getting the rulebook.  It's fucking cool, and I've come up with a (general) idea of how to run an all-comers roleplay game with it.

Essentially, and obviously, everyone would be crewmen on a Rogue Trader ship (including the Trader in person hopefully).  People could post whatever actions were appropriate to the moment whenever they cared to check in, and I as GM would move the "game" along a couple times a day, incorporating whatever actions have been posted in that time.  A little more abstract than a real Dark Heresy game, but more amenable to the timescale and forum participation.

I can't really get started for a couple weeks, but I can at least post some sign-up and character creation info a few days from now (university and all that).  Anyone interested?

two words, HELL YER!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »

OF COURSE!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »

Yes please!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 04:10:46 pm »

GRIM DARK IS NOW CANON
Shoes...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:19:37 pm »

I'M IN

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:10 pm »

Definitely in if Aqizzar is willing to run it. Could also help if things get too hectic, since I have the rulebook.

It's very similar to DH overall, but there are major differences in a few specific areas.

Firstly, combat between spacecraft. Which is awesome, and woefully missing in DH. Secondly, First tier characters in Rogue Trader are equivalent in power and capability to fifth tier Dark Heresy characters. Lastly, since this revolves around a Rogue Trader, confrontations with aliens FILTHY XENOS is far more common.

Lots more equipment and cybernetics. And eye implant that replaces the eye with a weapon equivalent to a hellpistol. Yeeeeah.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 07:04:08 pm »

I'm more than willing to try running it.  My record on forum game activity is abysmal to say the least, but I've got a month vacation coming up and I'm quite willing to leave this game up to die rolls and winging it instead of trying to cook up my own game on the fly.

Now then, as long as the thread is here to discuss it, here's some of what I'm planning.

First and foremost is naming the Rogue Trader in particular.  If no one's up to it, I could take over the roll as a distant, GMing type character, but that'd be boring.  Among other things, it's a job that demands the willingness and ability to roleplay and write a lot.  Applications would be the first thing up, since the captain will have a big effect on the tone of the game.

Then everyone else could start making characters, mostly by just picking through the background lenses from the book.  More importantly would be the ship itself.  There's a couple ways to make the ship, but since most people don't have the book it'll be an abstract process.  I could just design a catalog of ships for the captain to pick from or people to vote on, but that'd be boring too.  The idea I had, and that I've spent the past hour idly picking at, would be to make characters game the Emperor's Tarot (or my take on it at least), and thus semi-blindly design the ship by committee.  I'll still let mass decision overrule specifics if needed.

As for the campaign, it'll probably be a matter of me coming up with an initial mission, some loose semblance of an overarching plot, but always let the captain and crew decide where they want to sail to within a sector of Warhammery space.  The whole point of Rogue Trader is the Rogue part after all.  Drink up me hearties.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 07:43:09 pm »

You could just start off by using the Into the Maw campaign that comes in the back of the book.
!!&!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11