Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Rogue Trader  (Read 24741 times)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 02:39:04 pm »

imma try this SIGN me in

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 02:53:36 pm »

Originally Space Marines were a rogue trader's military.  I haven't gotten far enough to see if they still carry them.  That'd be rad, though, having Space Marines.

It actually describes Arch-Militants occasionally being exiled Marines, and I'm quite willing to let Marines turn up elsewhere in the experience.  They still have human stats in the book, but I'm willing to waive that.

Likewise, I'm willing to entertain xenos characters, if the Rogue Trader is the sort to attract such help.  But absolutely no Orks.  Ever.  No Ork characters.  I'm not budging on that.

Also Aqizzar, I have no idea what that image is meant to represent, could you explain it?

That's what you're going to design the ship with, and by extension the campaign.  I'm not going to explain it any farther than this - the four medium sized circles relate to War, Exploration, Trade, and Diplomacy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »

I love the Ork Raider's description.

Warp Drive:  'Ere we go, 'ere we go!
Shoes...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2009, 04:33:34 pm »

Allowing xeons hey? Any chanse of an Eldar character?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 04:39:17 pm »

I'm reading through the combat stuff, and it seems like they fixed a lot of the really retarded critical effects, like arms blowing up like grenades and stuff.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 04:58:11 pm »

Retarded...  Now that is some heresy right there.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

I realize that Warhammer is all about being over the top, but some of the critical effects didn't make any sense.
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »

The only point where it would NOT make sense would be shooting a man's toe to blow his face off. And even then it is overridden by Rule of Cool.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2009, 06:53:46 pm »

That or doing CPR on a toe to cure a bullet wound

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 10:28:04 am »

I just like a little realism in my grim and dark and dark and grim.  Most of it's fine, but some of the effects are weird.

All of that is forgiven though, because you can get a Harlequin's Kiss, and a grenade version of a Harlequin's Kiss; because turning people into jelly shouldn't wait for you to get into melee range.

Also, I've finished skimming through the books, and I think I've absorbed most of the rules.  Since about a third of it is recycled Dark Heresy rules it's not that hard to learn if you already know DH, and of course all the stuff in DH carries over.  I'm almost tempted to do a game of my own, but I promised I'd never run a game again, since they all fall through after (or even before) the first adventure.

But anyway, Aqizzar.  If we already have a character in mind do you want us to roll them up now or wait until things are closer to EHT MEHTAL TIME

EDIT:  I am so glad they fixed Psyker powers.  No more TPKing every time you try to cast a cantrip.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:29:16 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 04:16:26 pm »

But anyway, Aqizzar.  If we already have a character in mind do you want us to roll them up now or wait until things are closer to EHT MEHTAL TIME

You can if you like, since I'm not going to do anything special with character creation - I'll just present the list of Background options and ask for a brief description, with which I'll figure out a specialty and how to spend their experience.  When it comes to character activities, it'll be much more a matter of narrative power (you could call it) than a strict application of the rules.  I don't want things bogged down in minutia, especially for all the people who don't have the book.

All that applies doubly so to equipment.  As the rules for Profit Rating and Acquisitions show, anything less than a troop of bodyguards, a genuine artifact, or maybe a Land Raider a Rogue Trader character can likely as not just buy.  So it's pointless to restrict what a character can or can't own unless it's critical to some plot point.

It's worth saying now that my interest has been renewed again, since I spent most of yesterday not writing an essay like I should have, but instead watching an all-day Pirates of the Caribbean marathon.  Scoff if you want, but I think that's a good example of how Rogue Trader is really meant to be played, dramatic and abstract with as little attention to detail as possible.

Since Cthulhu is already working on his character, I'll name the other character archetypes in brief, so everyone else knows what to expect.  The roles are - Warrior, Crewman, Priest, Psyker, Engineer, and Quartermaster.  Multiples of each is entirely allowable.  Like Cthulhu said, the Navigator is also a (weird) class unto itself, as the Warhammer lore has long described.  And of course, there's the Rogue Trader, but only one person gets that job.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2009, 05:40:43 pm »

ok, I'll start thinking about my character.

I've also found some people I know who used to play DH and are interested in Rouge Trader.

Possible storys of misshaps and awesomeness.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 05:46:06 pm »

So is there a base profit factor we should use to determine what items we have, or just wing it and don't go crazy?
Shoes...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2009, 06:03:59 pm »

And are we gonna be drawing straws to see who get's the Rouge Trader spot?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2009, 06:07:26 pm »

I think that would be fair (or some similer technic that has a random factor in it), but I'll opt out as I find being the rouge trader slightly boring.

Chief of Engineeering for me!

"Cap'en, she canne take it much longer!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11