Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Rogue Trader  (Read 24757 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29:29 am »

CJ; There are may sword variants. You could take a Power Sword, which is the sort you usually see in the games and on wargame models, a fractal sword, which appears like an ordinary sword, but has fractal scale serrations which make it more deadly, or a Primitive sword of various makes. May be worth picking one specifically, if not for any specific benefit one may have over another depending on how Aqizzar decides to run it, but for the sake of detail.
!!&!!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2009, 03:34:47 am »

ok redoing my character entry, cutting out unnecciesary fluff and changing equip. I don't mind whoeveer else wants to be Explorater be that if I can be head of Engineering. Failing that I'll just be some kind of underling, an assistant maybe?

As far as I can read from Lore, Explorator's tend to be aboard Rogue Trader ships at the expense of the Rogue Trader, rather than to complement it's crew. While the Explorator has obvious skills that are useful in assisting in the maintenance of the ship, there are other crew members that are dedicated to that, such as Void-masters, possibly minor techpriests, and non-techpriest engineers. Explorators are usually assigned to Rogue Traders because the Trader owes the Adeptus Mechanicus a debt of some kind, their job is not specifically to aid the Rogue Trader except where it furthers it's own goal; that being the collection of Archaeotechnology, research of unknown lifeforms beyond the Imperium's edge, and rooting out Hereteks.

Head of Engineering isn't really something a Explorator would do. Mostly, because it's beneath their capabilities.

Edit: Also, for My Explorator, if you're willing to bend the rules as far as equipment goes, then Definitely give me the best-craftsmanship Archaeotech Laspistol heirloom, and a Medicae Mechadendrite.
You can also only have one at a time. Exploraters are sent by the Mechanicus with rouge traders in the hope that when they land on a planet that some forgotten technology will be found.

Obviously only high ranking Tech Priest's would be given this task and would probably have a retuine (or however you spell it). So instead of arguing over who get the role I was thinking iether my character was serving with the Exploerator in the name of the Omnissiah or that he could be on loan from the Mechanicus to be head of engineering, not as an Explorater but just using that skill set.

I hope that makes it clearer.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2009, 04:37:53 am »

Here's hoping something comes from this, though it's a shame some people don't seem to be more aware of the game's setting or style.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2009, 05:25:02 pm »

Bumping this.  I want to hit the ground running once I actually have time to GM the game, so I'm trying to establish the setting and ship and crew and shit now.  In addition to more planets and stuff for the sector, there needs to be a ship.  You will design it with this-

Save that, mark five (-5-) spots, including one from each of the outer rings and no more than two of the medium sized spots, then post an uploaded link from tinypic or something.  Or just tell me, whatever.

By the way WorkerDrone, I finally gone around to reading your novella.  Does it actually have anything to do with your character here?  Because it all sounds like Black Templars talking about the Horus Heresy.  There's also only like five or six things wrong fluffwise, but I'll spoiler those for your tangential interest.
Spoiler: Just saying is all. (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »

I was writing from a standpoint I once had in a Story Arc me and some friends were doing at a forum of our own.

The Emperor is dead and most of the galactic plane has been leveled on all sides, allowing anyone who doesn't have a significant connection to each other outside of regular astropathic whoohah bait for rape. The setting is a small fleet heading to the Armageddon system to link up with simply the largest crusade to ever take place since the Great Crusade.

I wrote that from a few ideas I had in my head when we were at the starting point.

None of this took place during or after the Horus Heresy, way after, late 41st or 42nd Millennium.

As for the whole Castellan thing, generally we agree that if there isn't a captain for a ship, and or no single captain is willing to take command, the noble and godly on the battlefield Castellan of the Black Templars would be most likely to grab the reigns. That and it's just one of my mannerisms to call every single fucking Black Templar Captain a Castellan because I'm cool like that.

SO ANYWAY, enough fluff tangents Aqizzar;

No it didn't have anything to do with my character, but that is the style of how I write when I can help it, and or in first person with a few different things thrown in, which I might use if we're all doing this first person.

It shows that I'm a capable writer and RPer, so that should be good enough.

Besides, I already have an idea how the Rogue Trader would act. Not entirely in happenings aboard the ship, quick to jump to command, roguish to a fault, and "adventurer extraordinaire"; when there isn't a profit to be made.

At the very least, I can come up with some interesting mannerisms that don't entirely involve acting like a super eccentric captain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moving on, nothing to see here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »

Okay, that makes a lot more sense.  However, in regards to you writing, I do have one comment - trust dictionaries more than thesauruses.  You use a lot of colorful descriptive words and, at the risk of overusing a quote, I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

Also, fill out the damn tarot card so I can make your ship.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2009, 08:35:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2009, 12:41:21 am »

I don't suppose I'm going to get responses from anybody else?  Ship choices?  Sector suggestions?

Damn holidays.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2009, 12:43:28 am »

I didn't know we all needed to do that.

I'll get to it tomorrow morning, I'm discovering amazing things right now.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2009, 12:44:57 am »

Yeah, I want one from everybody.  And do tell about these amazing things.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2009, 01:19:52 am »

If we can make sector suggestions, might I suggest one in a relatively out of the way place? With lots of charted planets, as in, probably more than we'll be able to visit?

That's all I can think of, we'll just end up making locations up on the fly anyway. Or, relatively speaking, Aqizzar will end up making locations up on the fly.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2009, 01:31:04 am »

Oh I've already got well over a dozen planets and systems in mind, I'm saying there's always room for more.  The sector itself will definitely be a remote but developed one that has room enough for some Rogue Traders.  I'm thinking out on the eastern fringe, so it'll make sense when Tau inevitably show up.  Likewise, I've got a gallery of other Traders to interact with and some adventuring hooks.  But I'm not going to force the ship down any particular path, and yeah I'll occasionally have to make stuff up on the fly.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2009, 01:33:58 am »

If a GM can make up something awesome on the fly. He's a good GM.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2009, 02:15:40 am »

May be interesting to revisit some planets that have some interesting Canonical background.

As for the tarot thing, I'll go with the...

Backwards K
The Y
The Pointy P
The O with the + in it.
And the Boxy 8

I'm going to bed just now, so too lazy to do the picture. I'll do one in the morning if you want. If I'm even here, anyway.
!!&!!

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2009, 03:21:39 am »

I don't really care what the ship is.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11