Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf breeding  (Read 699 times)

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf breeding
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

Would it be possible to let dwarves have kids before you get around to implementing marriage? The one mission I keep trying is to survive with only your starting 7 dwarves, no immigration whatsoever, but without childbirth you never get too far. Since childbirth is already implemented would it be simple to make an option to allow dwarven childbirth without requiring marriage?

Thanks in advance for any consideration, and for such a wonderful game that I never get around to building my own!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf breeding
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

Or to make childbirth create a marriage bond?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

Life-cycle arc will do this.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

Not based upon the description of the Life-Cycle Arc. Toady does have other plans for a complete implementation of relationships and marriages from what I've seen in the notes posted. I'm suggesting that if an interim solution is viable it would add to the game until he gets the opportunity to implement his designs for the final solution.

Having a birth initiate a marriage is an interesting idea. It makes sense on a certain level. Dwarven marriages could almost always be shotgun, I mean battle axe weddings. However I can easily envision having some complications with the existing code that requires marriage for the production of offspring.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 12:58:00 am »

only if you can turn it off.

I am already sorely tempted to drown the peasant half of every couple, if every dwarf female could have children I would have to drown every dwarf female in the fort  :(

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:47:00 am »

You want the option to make bastards?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

There should be some degree of control over breeding if this is implemented. Perhaps we could just arrange marriages ourselves until proper relations are implemented. Dwarven eugenics FTW! It'd be another great thing for an evil fortress.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...