Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrusting goods / furniture  (Read 1048 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrusting goods / furniture
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:44:55 pm »

Whenever I set a queue of jobs for encrusting furniture with gems my gem setter, instead of putting one gem in one piece of furniture, proceeds to encrust every gem I line up in the one item. Is there any way I can make sure he moves from one piece of furniture to the next, other than setting up a new job every time the last one is finished and the item is moved out of the way?
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
Re: Encrusting goods / furniture
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:14:40 pm »

Your gem setter will encrust the nearest item with his gems if it isn't encrusted with this type of gem, yet. So my favorite way of dealing with this is to lock the gem setter in his workshop area which includes the gems stockpile and the furniture/goods he has to encrust. Then just tell him to repeatedly encrust with one kind of gem. He will take every item he can find and encrust it with this kind of gem until he either runs out of furniture or gems.The n tell him to encrust the next kind of gem and so on...
Alternatively you could just set up jobs for each type of gem you have and have them on repeat, he will then just encrust one item with all the gems, then the next one, and the next.... provided that you have enough gems of each type (like glass for example, or the least valuable gems that you can find in large quantity)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:18 pm »

Well, it is very lucrative for a dwarf to encrust the same item with multiple decorations, since the values of these items compounds with each deocration added.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:43 pm »

Your gem setter will encrust the nearest item with his gems if it isn't encrusted with this type of gem, yet. So my favorite way of dealing with this is to lock the gem setter in his workshop area which includes the gems stockpile and the furniture/goods he has to encrust. Then just tell him to repeatedly encrust with one kind of gem. He will take every item he can find and encrust it with this kind of gem until he either runs out of furniture or gems.The n tell him to encrust the next kind of gem and so on...
Alternatively you could just set up jobs for each type of gem you have and have them on repeat, he will then just encrust one item with all the gems, then the next one, and the next.... provided that you have enough gems of each type (like glass for example, or the least valuable gems that you can find in large quantity)

Ah, I see, working with one gemstone at a time should work fine then, thanks.

Well, it is very lucrative for a dwarf to encrust the same item with multiple decorations, since the values of these items compounds with each deocration added.

I know the value keeps going up but I'm limited on resources and want to spread it around evenly.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:44 am »

If the items are for sale, you'll make more money by encrusting the same object multiple times. If you are doing it to boost the value of several rooms, then I guess spreading it around makes sense.

One possibility is to give him a stockpile of high quality items, make sure that the stockpile is FULL, set it up to feed from another stockpile (with 'q' - 't'), and be sure to have extra haulers available. Then set him to work. He'll take the nearest item out of the stockpile and set to work encrusting it, the haulers will immediately fill the hole in the stockpile with another item, and when the Gem Setter finishes encrusting the working item there will be no room in the working stockpile for it, so the haulers will drag it away to a different stockpile... and then it will no longer be the CLOSEST item, so he will choose a different item next time. I've tested this method, and it works.
Never pet a burning dog.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:21:16 am »

If the items are for sale, you'll make more money by encrusting the same object multiple times. If you are doing it to boost the value of several rooms, then I guess spreading it around makes sense.

Quote from: wiki
The final value of an item multiplies the base value of the form of the object (a stone, a statue) by the material multiplier (granite, gold), and by the quality modifier (fine, masterful) if any, and then adding any final value for decorations.

As the decorations are just added on it shouldn't make any difference in total value if you put them on just one item or on lots of items. (It will of course make a difference in total weight you need to trade)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:19:58 pm »

And putting them all onto one item saves the dwarf hauling time, of course. Plus, an 80k-dwarfbuck regular-quality barrel is just amusing.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:09:21 pm »

Damn, this has inspired me to make the most uncomfortable and impractical dining hall EVER.

Thrones and tables with studs, spikes, and hanging rings of multiple materials, possibly made of radioactive or toxic materials.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 09:11:14 pm »

...when the Gem Setter finishes encrusting the working item there will be no room in the working stockpile for it, so the haulers will drag it away to a different stockpile... and then it will no longer be the CLOSEST item, so he will choose a different item next time. I've tested this method, and it works.
Isn't there a danger that gem-encrusted items will cycle back into the gem-setter's stockpile?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:05 pm »

...when the Gem Setter finishes encrusting the working item there will be no room in the working stockpile for it, so the haulers will drag it away to a different stockpile... and then it will no longer be the CLOSEST item, so he will choose a different item next time. I've tested this method, and it works.
Isn't there a danger that gem-encrusted items will cycle back into the gem-setter's stockpile?
I'd say a statistical inevitability; the next item he encrusts is the item he encrusted n jobs ago. OTOH, that still guarantees that multiple items will be encrusted, which is better than nothing.