Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Thank you, Tarn!  (Read 21878 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you, Tarn!
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

D:

If you don't support gaming, gaming won't get better.

It makes zero sense to talk about "supporting gaming" as if gaming is monolithic.  That's like saying he should "support politics" by donating money to corrupt politicians so they'll clean up their act.
Ahh! The flames, they BURN me!! D':

Edit: Added tear to maximize sadface-ness

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 08:41:41 pm »

Ummm, melty cheese.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 08:43:06 pm »

Mmmm, melty cheese.
Fixed, I guess. I really hope I don't have people who would like in the future to consume my avatar.  :P

platypus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 08:49:57 pm »

It makes zero sense to talk about "supporting gaming" as if gaming is monolithic.  That's like saying he should "support politics" by donating money to corrupt politicians so they'll clean up their act.

Indeed. It appears the only thing he took away from my post was that I was, in this instance, guilty of piracy, and therefore baahaad. I've paid for more than one Bioware game in the past. And RIGHT NOW, I'm going to PayPal Toady $100. Then I don't want to hear more of this nonsense.

EDIT: Done. =P

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:58:17 pm by platypus »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2009, 09:00:11 pm »

Ehh, that's not what I meant.

Ah, wait, that's exactly what I meant.. you're right, the inclusion of piracy into online gaming isn't exactly the best thing that's happened to it, but I suppose any other way would be just as bad or even worse. I still, however, find the idea that the only way that we'll be getting good games anytime soon is the complete destruction of the PC market as we know it today completely crazy! It's a bit rash, don't you think?

Suddenly this entire discussion has made me incredibly depressed. I'd like to talk about Dragon Age: Orgins for a bit. Here are some things that made me mad:

1. What the hell is with the loot in this game? I spent nearly 4 hours in the same bloody armor because there simply weren't any other options! If you're going to make a massive RPG, populate it with something.
2. Like I've said, mages are waaaaay too overpowered, along with dual wielding. They're like the BFG 9000's of RPG's.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:14:32 pm by woose1 »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2009, 09:05:07 pm »

Sounds like bioware alright, though they usualy at least give you some options with items. The overpowered mages thing has aways walked side by side with bioware though.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:55 pm »

Sounds like bioware alright, though they usualy at least give you some options with items. The overpowered mages thing has aways walked side by side with bioware though.
Plasmids, Mass Effect psychic badasses, Baldur's gate etc.

platypus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:45 pm »

I still, however, find the idea that the only way that we'll be getting good games anytime soon is the complete destruction of the PC market as we know it today.

Yeah, this was probably a bit of hyperbole. I doubt he really meant it. I will say that I don't think PC gaming is benefiting from the trend toward every release being a single, unified, cross-platform game. The more arcadesque influence of consoles is acutely felt in our case in point, DA:O, and it's not a good thing.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2009, 09:16:06 pm »

Maybe if Windows 7 was less interface freindly and Microsoft was still a big corporation of nerds...

Gah! Why can't I type out complete ideas!?

Shoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2009, 09:26:45 pm »

if you like DF that's fine.  if you don't like DA:O that's also fine. Slagging DA:O to compliment DF is silly.  There are a lot of people that like both games. 

PS - Lack of a demo does not excuse piracy.  If you arn't interested don't buy it. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:30:48 pm by Shoe »
''m condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 09:38:32 pm »

Slagging DA:O to compliment DF is silly.  There are a lot of people that like both games. 

He was contrasting the games' approaches to linearity, interactivity and difficulty.  If you have responses to his criticisms, post them.

If you arn't interested don't buy it. 

I agree that this is a good policy, and I think platypus would too.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 09:44:27 pm »

The problem is, without a demo, buying a game means paying for something you might hate. I think it's perfectly acceptable to pirate a game, as long as you actually buy it if it's any good. That said, the only pirated games I actually have are some old PS1 games. I am willing to pay the game developer for a good game, I am not willing to pay some random person on ebay while giving the developer nothing.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45:56 pm »

I must say, I do like DF. Its lots of fun, and I figure I might as well state that its one of the main things I play anymore.

Figured that since this thread was a congratulation thread, I should post congratulations here.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 09:46:39 pm »

@Dragnar
Well, you weren't going to give the developer money anyhow if it wasn't good, but sadly not everyone acts that way.  :'(

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:42 pm »

I have to say, this thread is like reading a chapter of a novel and then saying "No this won't do at all, instead I want a fictional encyclopedia of all world events for this fictional place and then I can make my own story, otherwise it is PURE GARBAGE."

You're complaining about how you think the industry forces everything to fit in one predefined box, when you're arguing that they should do exactly that except with the box /you/ want. Going into DF and Dragon Age expecting the same thing is utterly ludicrous.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17