Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Holy crap that's evil...  (Read 17644 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap that's evil...
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »

Yea, I use swordsmen for prisoner execution and to kill valuable wild animals for that reason. The less deadly the swordsman and the more helpless the prisoner, the better! That way they don't lop off the head, but tend to dislodge bits of arms, legs, etc.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 09:32:44 pm »

Yea, I use swordsmen for prisoner execution and to kill valuable wild animals for that reason. The less deadly the swordsman and the more helpless the prisoner, the better! That way they don't lop off the head, but tend to dislodge bits of arms, legs, etc.

And it's the reason I have a massive degree of affection for serrated disc traps. Say what you like about piercing damage, there's nothing quite like proctology with a circular saw that comes out of the ground to really, really ruin a goblin's day and produce a half-dozen extra sets of -goblin bone bolts [5]-.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 10:56:41 pm »

Actually, I'd rather have one set of 30 bone bolts (less lame reloading, but then again I have way too many bones/bolts and melted enemy armor provides all the high-quality iron bolts needed). I only dismember things that I want to decorate with.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2009, 03:04:16 am »

Most evil thing I've ever done to an animal in DF:

The following animals are restrained in my statue garden:

North wall: Grizzly bear, Giant eagle (with unrestrained chicks).  Just above southern door: Cougar.  East and West walls: Wolves.

Dead center: Deer.

Oh, also I like to put my dead dwarves in clear or green glass coffins.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2009, 03:57:51 am »

I use green glass, which is nice and fancy but not fully transparent. I like to think it conceals the finer signs of decay, allowing for a pleasant visiting experience.

Now what would really be evil is putting untamed predators just out of reach of your tamed prey.
The sigs topic:

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2009, 08:26:46 pm »

Three words.

Puppy day care.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2009, 08:24:19 pm »

Normally I bury all my dead in the mining tunnels. It's out of the way, and I figure it's fitting for creatures of the stone to be returned to the earth and all that. Just had a glassmaker go berserk from a mood though, and I couldn't resist. I knew he'd go mad, there's no sand on my map, so I walled him in. When he went insane, I had a hauler open the wall and ordered my macedwarves (playing Relentless Assault, took some base quality wooden maces from the dead frogmen the frogmen donated some training maces to my fort before I struck galena) to cudgel the poor glassmaker to death, then I magma-dumped his body. I don't have a lot of patience for dwarves who die to their own stupidity, and a glassmaker going to a sandless fort ranks up there. Free pig tail socks.

The other glassmaker is about to start tantrumming, he's afraid of flies. Maybe I'll get to bludgeon him too... good god, I've become sick.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »

I started hunting down players who abuse graphic sets on the forum in such a way that the point of their post is lost on most others. I have this mace decorated with hanging rings of awesome and menacing spikes of human bone which I use to smash their extremeties while lecturing them on how not to post bad graphic screenshots. Pretty evil, but I feel it's justified.
The sigs topic:

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2009, 08:57:09 pm »

Assuming that the rabbit-drop doesn't work, another, more complicated solution is to chain up your breeding groups (at least the females) at the end of a hallway. Just a few steps (ideally, 1) outside the range of the chained breeders are repeating bridges over your refuse pile a dozen z-levels below.
Well, the rabbits finally got around to giving birth, and their kits don't fall through the stairs like I hoped they would.  They just appear standing on the stairs like their parents.  Looks like I'll have to chain them up next to a repeating bridge after all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »

I believe the whole falling-through-stairs bug was fixed because dwarven mothers tended to give birth when standing on stairs. Wasn't sure about it before, but your post seems to confirm it.
The sigs topic:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2009, 01:14:09 am »

I fill the bottom of my (2 z-level) sacrificial Temple of Armok pit with 4/7 water, and as many carp as I can get.

I just let them breed there, and have a backup breeding pair. Just in case too many get born, so I have to obsidianize/re-dig/refill my pit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 04:43:28 am »

What is your carp-capturing method? I find "Capture live fish" to be buggy at best, with the fishing labor necessarily enabled and no priority for Capture live fish to prevent them from just fishing. And then when a dwarf finally gets around to freaking capturing the fish, the inability to stop dwarves from eating them (at least in the case of turtles) without also disabling moving/handling is a royal pain.

If using the method with Carp it would be further complicated by Carp's tendency to kill dwarves. Unless the first fish to approach a dwarf in capture mode is instantly captured with no chance to hurt the dwarf, and the dwarf immediately leaves the water's edge before another can come to kill him/her.

Either way without intense micro-managing I can't see how you could capture carp the traditional way and not lose more dwarves than your gain in captured fish. So what do you do?
The sigs topic:

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2009, 10:25:36 am »

Capture live fish will only capture the vermin kind, to catch carp you need to get them into a cage trap(I'll leave it to your creativity to figure out one of many ways)

As for them eating the vermin fish caught, just keep catching them(With normal vermin dwarves get tired of eating them apparently), or forbid them before they get taken by a dwarf.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:48 am »

I'm guessing something like a normal waterfall onto cage traps would work well, eh? As long as you can create a waterfall without passing the water through screw pumps you'd be in luck. But I don't see that you have many options without a map that has a natural waterfall and/or freezes, so it's still a mystery to me. You obviously won't have many carp for very long on a freezing map, so installing traps and floodgates in the river when it freezes doesn't seem like much of a tactic to me.

Carp in lakes/ponds would be easy enough to capture once you know to use cage traps, but rivers would require a lot more work. At least now with the information you've given me I can create the carp-infested throne room of my dreams!
The sigs topic:

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2009, 01:26:12 pm »

I would say that capturing carp in a river is easier, you just dam the river with floodgates, link tham up to a lever and place a row of cage traps, when you want to get fish, you pull the lever to open the floodgates and close it again when you trap some fish.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7