Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Holy crap that's evil...  (Read 17643 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap that's evil...
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2009, 01:37:04 pm »

Sorry I wasn't reading as closely as I should have, I missed the tame bit.

What if the animal falls to its death directly over a refuse stockpile or a butchers shop?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2009, 01:40:35 pm »

What if the animal falls to its death directly over a refuse stockpile or a butchers shop?
I've tried having tame animals fall and land both directly on a butcher's shop, or on a refuse pile right next to a butcher's shop.  No luck.  Tame animals are somehow tagged to not be butcherable after death.  Works for a wild animal but not a tame one (except again odd semi-tame examples like cave crocodiles, which I still don't quite understand).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2009, 02:37:35 pm »

Was the cave croc tamed but still hostile? Did it attack a dwarf before being captured and then get caught and tamed? I know there is a bug about that somewhere.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2009, 02:46:37 pm »

Was the cave croc tamed but still hostile? Did it attack a dwarf before being captured and then get caught and tamed? I know there is a bug about that somewhere.
Cave crocodiles have a strange bug in which after being tamed for a while they will suddenly transition into a strange semi-feral state.  At this point they will be listed under the unit list as 'Stray cave crocodile (tame) - Hostile' and will begin smashing furniture.  They do not need to have attacked one of your dwarves first.  I think the trigger is simply time-based (after having been tamed for a year or s) but I'm not sure.  They will not attack or frighten your dwarves at this point, but will attack and be attacked by caravan guards and other visitors.  At this point you will no longer be able to assign them to a chain or have them slaughtered, but they will set off weapon traps and if killed in a trap their corpse can be butchered.

I suspect this may be due to them having the buildingdestroyer tag.  I have been running a quite successful cave crocodile breeding program in one of my fortress for several decades now.  So long as newly hatched cave crocodiles are chained or slaughtered before they can turn hostile everything seems fine, but I have placed weapon traps across main corridors and surrounding key fortress-defense levers just to be sure.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:50 pm »

Fire imps will do the same thing if given [PET_EXOTIC] and tamed. I had one chained up watching my backdoor for thieves (thought it would be fun to see a kobold fry!) when a caravan came by and shot it! It ticked me off royally; the thing was only hostile to "friendlies", not my dwarves, and the cage/chain issue remained as you describe it as well. It did burn some elves to death in another caravan though, so I'm relatively happy with it overall. And its bones and hide went into some nice artifacts.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2009, 05:38:16 pm »

It's not the BUILDINGDESTROYER tag that does it, but the fact that the creature was on the map at the moment you embarked - all "feature creatures" are susceptible to this, though migrating herds of animals are unaffected.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 05:47:15 pm »

I'm seeing this not just for the original cave crocs, but their children and grandchildren as well.  I've had this crocodile farm running for decades.  Either the 'feature creature' status is inherited, or it's something else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

If hostiles have children, they have a hostile tag. Your only hope it seems would be for your crocs to have kiddies before they go hostile? Perhaps there is more to it than that, but you should be seeing hostile pets born from hostile pets. This is recorded as early as Boatmurdered, where they had a hostile pet elephant give birth to a hostile pet bull elephant calf, who proceeded to murder other pets.
The sigs topic:

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:24 pm »

Starting a new thread to avoid further derailing this one.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The sigs topic:

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 02:38:29 am »

Aside from the usual prisoner-of-boredom butchery, the worst thing I do is probably making a backup save of a controlled collapse in which I pull some switches after stationing most of the fort underneath the falling floor.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 04:21:44 am »

You back it up so that you can watch it happening and the miserable lives + tantrum + murder afterwards over and over, right?
The sigs topic:

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 04:44:31 am »

You back it up so that you can watch it happening and the miserable lives + tantrum + murder afterwards over and over, right?

>_>

There are some times where you really want to finish your big megaproject.

There are others when you kind of just... feel like watching something suffer. And that's what having extra saves are for!

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 07:13:55 am »

Well-said.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »

{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.
Sigged.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7