Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Holy crap that's evil...  (Read 17645 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap that's evil...
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 06:11:42 pm »

Actually windows are treated like walls. Otherwise they would be useless, practically speaking. Not that each section of the fort can't be locked down at the pull of a lever anyway if it were necessary to secure an area.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 07:38:23 pm »

The rule in general is that if something is build with b-C, it can not be destroyed. Like walls, stairs, floors.

If it is build using just b, it is furniture and can be destroyed, windows count as furniture if I remember right, it was why I didn't make them as outside walls in my underwater fort with buildingdestroyer fish.(In theory, those fish would be there, but no fish ever showed up)

This also supports nobles mandating windows in their bedroom, it's furniture to the game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:42:29 pm by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 03:46:49 am »

Well I can't say that I have personally tested it. But according to the wiki, windows are permanent indestructible constructions, much like a bridge. And since magma can't enter a window's tile, it is even more indestructible than bridges.

You're right about the general rules, but there are exceptions and this is one of them according to all that I have read. It makes sense if you think about it: there would be no point in having windows if all they did was provide a weak entry point to your fortress.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 08:39:20 am »

Assuming that the rabbit-drop doesn't work, another, more complicated solution is to chain up your breeding groups (at least the females) at the end of a hallway. Just a few steps (ideally, 1) outside the range of the chained breeders are repeating bridges over your refuse pile a dozen z-levels below. Something like:
Code: [Select]
╔═══╗
║╥C§║
║║C§║
║╨C§║
╚═══╝
You can scale it arbitrarily by repeating the horizontal sections, or by pushing the right-most wall back and adding more restraints. To further optimise it, you can replace the positions where the cows are standing with walls, to reduce the number of pathable tiles.

This is untested, by the way. Don't be surprised if only a small number of the offspring fall through at a time. And you really don't want to try it with cats, as they'll almost certainly adopt before being minced.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 02:39:38 pm »

Assuming that the rabbit-drop doesn't work, another, more complicated solution is to chain up your breeding groups (at least the females) at the end of a hallway. Just a few steps (ideally, 1) outside the range of the chained breeders are repeating bridges over your refuse pile a dozen z-levels below. Something like:
Code: [Select]
╔═══╗
║╥C§║
║║C§║
║╨C§║
╚═══╝
You can scale it arbitrarily by repeating the horizontal sections, or by pushing the right-most wall back and adding more restraints. To further optimise it, you can replace the positions where the cows are standing with walls, to reduce the number of pathable tiles.

This is untested, by the way. Don't be surprised if only a small number of the offspring fall through at a time. And you really don't want to try it with cats, as they'll almost certainly adopt before being minced.

theoretically speaking, you could make this much larger in all directions and line the pit with animals you want to breed, then set a meeting area on the bridge so the cute litttle baby animals congregate on the drop platform.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 03:13:03 pm »

you can mill dogs? cool.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2009, 12:21:39 am »

Regarding realizations of evil alignment:
So I'm building a fort in a glacier.  Some goblin thieves get caught in my cage traps.  My first thought is to build a tower-of-doom, as per usual.  Then I remember: by placing a dump order on the cage, I can strip the gobbos naked.  And when a squad of naked Orcish wrestlers (from Dig Deeper) came to my fort, they froze to death.  So I dug out a small channel outside my fort, and tossed the goblin thieves into it, leaving them to freeze to death.  Two thought occurred to me.  One, that this was a rather unique method of execution, one I hadn't even seen on the wiki.  Two, I just threw a goblin naked into a hole in the middle of the arctic waste and left it to slowly freeze to death.  I think that's a new personal record for atrocities; I generally prefer efficient slaughter to artistic deathtraps.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2009, 06:25:29 pm »

After thinking for a while, i came to the conclusion that i haven't done something actually evil.
Of all the elaborate traps and goblin misstreatment pet projects i've made none can be considered evil, just... effective.
And my forts are usually a paradise for all but nobles where the noble pestcontroll usually is just a locked door... except for one time where i made a platform above a chasm to get rid of a noble breeding bug and her spawn all at once. But they're nobles, worse than flies in your Plump helmet steak or goblins on your doorstep, so sending them to an unknown vertical destination can't be evil?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 01:46:02 am »

At some point in a past fort I got so desperate to preserve my dying FPS that I started magma-ing my useless peasants. That's probably the most evil thing I've done so far. (My eternal sadness fort didn't get off the ground, so it doesn't count.)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 05:09:16 am »

You know that scene out of Pearl Harbor where the trapped guys are reaching up through the grate begging for help? Well, I imagined that when my fully walled in depot was flooded with water when the elves came by.

Not very unique I know. I'm trying to think of something terrible, but I just can't.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 06:02:57 am »

I farm goblins (and any other hostile races i happen to have) in large pits, when i run low on bones i seal the pits off from each other (the pits are usually all connected together) and station some rookie marksdwarfs in fortifications on the next level up to gain some experience.

I've trained up nearly thirty ledgendary marksdwarves on goblin, orc, kobold and hobgoblin archery targets.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2009, 09:43:33 am »

The main challenge with automated animal slaughtering devices is that tame animals which die in any way other than being personally slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.  So luring a bunch of tame baby animals onto a bridge with a meeting zone and then dropping them to their doom will only yield a pile of unusable corpses.  You'll get plenty of bones, but no meat, fat, or skin.  You need to use wild animals, and chaining wild animals is tricky.

Frustratingly, my pile of untame rabbits standing on a staircase over a pit have yet to give birth.  I know there are male and female there, and I know wild rabbits in captivity will give birth, so either I haven't waited long enough or there's some feature in the code such that animals standing over open space won't give birth.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2009, 10:22:09 am »

I farm goblins (and any other hostile races i happen to have) in large pits, when i run low on bones i seal the pits off from each other (the pits are usually all connected together) and station some rookie marksdwarfs in fortifications on the next level up to gain some experience.

I've trained up nearly thirty ledgendary marksdwarves on goblin, orc, kobold and hobgoblin archery targets.

That ain't evil, thats common practice.
Well, that is if you didn't just kill them off before they got caught, or like me consider them excessive and just throw them into a chasm to reduce clutter

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2009, 12:56:47 pm »

The main challenge with automated animal slaughtering devices is that tame animals which die in any way other than being personally slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.  So luring a bunch of tame baby animals onto a bridge with a meeting zone and then dropping them to their doom will only yield a pile of unusable corpses.  You'll get plenty of bones, but no meat, fat, or skin.  You need to use wild animals, and chaining wild animals is tricky.

That's not true. Check your orders and workshop settings.

[Edit] Once you get the dead animals into your refuse pile you can butcher them. I've had a War Dog kill a pack of rhesus and had it set so that dwarves gathered outdoor refuse, all the rhesus ended up in the refuse pile and got butchered (well maybe 1 or 2 rotted before the butcher got to them as it was a large pack). You can also use military dwarves to clean all the animals on the map and have haulers dump them in the refuse pile and they will get butchered. And should you have a trigger happy Hunter that kills more than one animal you can collect the extra corpses and butcher them too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:20:42 pm by sunshaker »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »

That's not true. Check your orders settings.
It is certainly true.  I have done a lot of experiments along these lines.  Tame animals killed in falls (or by invaders) cannot be butchered.  There are some exceptions with a few animals like cave crocodiles which seem to go into a weird semi-feral state after being tamed in which they smash furniture, kill traders, set off weapon traps, and can be butchered, but all normal domestic animals can only be processed into meat by being designated for slaughter and taken while alive into a butcher's shop.

Wild animals killed by hunters, war dogs, weapon traps, soldiers, bridges, or whatever can be butchered.  Tame ones can't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7