Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 6: Signups over. Game starting in new thread.  (Read 8258 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Churn Style (signups- 2 slots left)
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2009, 05:02:57 pm »

My name in the OP!

It has been mangled!

:(

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »

You saw nothing!
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »

Just have to wait for 2 more.  I know a few of the folks who died in BM4 can come back here.
I KNEW IT!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 07:11:25 am »

I'd like to join, I need a LOT of practice.
I still have a long way to go.
Even in LCS mafia everybody knows I'm a newbie :)
And it will end fairly soon.

Is that OK, or do you need bigger newbs?

EDIT: Played 3 mafia's so far. This will be my 4'th

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:54 am »

If this starts in the earliest at Friday the 4th, I'm in. (I'm in the middle of a move and the only Internet connection I'll have 'til the 4th is here at work.)

I've played in a few Mafias here, IIRC before the Mafia subforum: 2 DF Mafias, chaoticjoshes no-flip (cruise?) Mafia, Pandarsenics (Ridiculous?) Mafia (with post-restrictions, like no using 'e') and Alexhans sadly abandoned Two-Mafia game (I was Paraguayan scum and it was looking really good for us).

I just wandered here a while I go and saw that the game has developed a lot both skill-wise and in size. No arguments about voting No lynch and people are actually being active and asking questions. So, I want to get back in the scene and Beginner's Mafia seems like a good place to do just that.

Also, how's the Child role doing nowadays? Is it still as prominent as back then?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:49:34 am by LASD »

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 09:03:40 am »

@Rooster  Anyone with less than 5 games under their belt can always come in.  Even if you have more, you can still probably get in anyway.  The folks who can't will be the ones that already KNOW they aren't beginners anymore.

@LASD

No problems with starting it on the 4th. 

As far as skill level, we have been coming along, though I still think our day game still needs some work, especially Day 1, which too many people still lurk in. 

As far as the Child role?  You don't see it around anymore since it's become very good at confirming a townie or locating a scum.  Confirmed Townies have become the "thing to avoid at all costs" when it comes to making games.

The 'games of the day' seem to be uPick style and Bastard Mods.  I dare you to try read all 100 pages of Bring Your Own Role:Pandarsenic Edition.  That one has been going for a month just to reach day 3 and it looks to have at least 3 more days remaining on it.

@Everyone

Slots are full!  Confirmation PMs are being sent and theme is being cooked up.  If you have any interest in substituting (even if you aren't a newbie) then please contact me: it's always better to have one ready to go than to search after one is needed.

If you wanted to join and missed your chance, don't fret, BM7 will open for signups shortly.  If your impatient, you can PM me your request to join now and you'll be automatically signed in.

As for the folks here, be ready.  We start on Friday, the 4th.
I KNEW IT!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:30 am »

Oh gods this...phew, not 'til friday.
As far as the Child role?  You don't see it around anymore since it's become very good at confirming a townie or locating a scum.  Confirmed Townies have become the "thing to avoid at all costs" when it comes to making games.
Piffle. Child is great. CTs are only a real problem if they're protected and indisputable. I said earlier, and I'll say again, truthcheck is crazy-powerful in its threat-value, and merely 'sanecop' in actual power.

After all, my special-guest childing was 100% ignored by the town, but had Vector [insert nervous habit here] in webchat.

You almost always get one person 'confirmed' at lylo by refusal to hammer, on IRC. It's pretty wholly worthless then.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:00:23 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Game setting up.
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:03 am »

The fact that the town didn't trust you in KWN was what ruined the childing.  In actual play, a town-only child role would work like the Disciple of Truth in Paranormal, which broke the game so badly it single handedly ruined the scum's game for many sessions.  Some people like it, but believe that there has to be a balancing act with it.

Sidenote: Sane Cop is actually deemed an overpowering role if there's no Godfather/Miller around.  See Day 5 of Not So Beginner's Mafia (and note the only reason the scum won was because no one realized that there was no chance of a Godfather role.  Also note that the scum will probably get an award for that game).

I KNEW IT!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 10:55:35 am »

I ust like the whole truthcheck power idea. Its power is primarily dependent on ...making people do what you ask of them, and coming up with the right thing to ask of them.

So, really, a 'sanecop' type deal is only overpowered in a setup with open, short role-lists.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 02:19:58 pm »

Hmm, I'm soon going to be making a BYOR.  I might play around with truth type roles.. we'll see though.

I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 02:56:02 am »

Word of Warning: I'm expecting one 'groan' once people recognize the source of this theme.  Please save such groans for after the game or for the host's PM. 

Also, (and this will become more clear soon) discussion about the flavor text in your role is allowed but quoting the text is NOT. 

Lastly, I am still waiting for one more confirmation.  Those that were too late to join keep watching in case I am in need of a replacement.

I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 03:31:26 am »

Second warning: you think I was long winded in other themes?  Wow..just wow..

I mean its fitting considering..but still its been a while since I wrote a that long among of text
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 03:39:49 am »

Can ICs get de-named copies of all the PMs?

Also, I can't imagine your proposed theme could be worse than Warhammer 40k or Harry Potter, and I'm sure it's neither of those, so it's probably fine.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 08:38:39 am »

guess I could do that.  Just about ready with them.

Don't know Warhammer and, though I can think up a HP theme..meh, I hated how they set up the Houses (a 'good guy' house, the 'evil house' and two 'misc' filler houses ). 

Though the source I use made the situation almost as bad, it was less "this society is made for evil things" and more "let's dump all the jerks in one group and the heroes in the other".
I KNEW IT!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:26 am »

Well, initially it was split basically on "Knowledge/wastebinHonor/Courage/Power" but...yeah. She went the bleh route and ALL SLYTHERINS R EVUL.

Not "long-winded". Verbose.
Tilesets
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5