Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Destroy Rock" Function  (Read 1152 times)

Rhynac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Destroy Rock" Function
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

A simple Dwarf miner Function to chop rock to "Rubble" or rock chips which can be thrown away... or used for something else... Frankly it would decrease "Rock Clutter".
ife is not, if evil is not in presence.

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Destroy Rock" Function
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

You can use a stonecrafter to make some rock crafts, and store it in bins, it will   strongly decrease your amount of rock in stock piles, and will allow you to get goods from traders, if they don't got anything interesting for you, give it to them (but don't sell bins, keep it for you, wood is precious), that's free business...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

Or, turn them into blocks, and build a massive tower to commemorate your efforts.

Or build a catapult.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

True, but a single legenedary miner can produce more stone than 100 haulers can haul to your four legendary stonecrafters, who can't even use up all the stone your 100 haulers bring them.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

Once there's a "designate for dumping" tool this shouldn't be a problem as you can just get rid of them (or put them all in one place) with a flick of the wrist.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:18:00 pm »

I can't recall who came up with the idea, but somewhere here I saw what was a much more reasonable and less laborious solution: just divide all mining designations into two categories, "excavate" and "mine," mine being "get every drop of material out of here you can," excavate being "clear this space comepletely," or something along those lines.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Ratha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

Not that i think DF is a realistic game, but it does try to model economical and logistical problems. When digging out a mountain, you are going to have an amount of stone equal to the excavation which needs to be disposed of. In the DF world this holds true currently. Id hate to see that change truthfully. What will help with this is priority mass hauling/dumping.

The ability to mass-select stone for dumping or hauling, and the ability to set the priority for that specific selection of stone would help quite a bit and still preserve the logistics of mining out a mountain. Dump/Move [Selected Stones/Stone Types] to [Specific Stockpile/Garbage Dump] with [Highest/Next-job/Standard/Lowest] priority.

A spin on that idea about Mine or Excavate and clear options would be to set a global automatic dump stones of a certain type at the lowest priority, or possibly automatically flag stones for dumping when using excavate. This would allow you to change it depending on what you were currently mining, and what you wanted to do with it.

In a way i think DF users are spoiled in that we can continue to dig, even when our corridors are filled with rubble.Realistically one needs to remove the stone and dirt before they can continue to dig further. This would create a realistic digging timetable, meaning it would take years and years to mine out fortresses that way.

It would help resolve a bunch of things people have been talking or complaining about though: Not knowing what to do with all the stone they are digging out, since it would have to be taken care of before more digging could happen. (Digging and hauling would have to be more balanced timewise.) Would also stop miners from becoming legendary so quickly, and force the player to setup camp on the surface for the first year or two before upgrading to the protection and comfort of a hole in the earth.

However i suspect that could easily be an issue for people and would need to be an option to have turned on or turned off.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37:00 am »

Are you asking for digging to produce less junk stone, or looking for a way to get rid of excess stone? Bit difficult to tell from the wording of your post. (And the replies.)

'Cause if it is the second you can always make rock compactors.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Dagonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

My question is: Why are you having legendary miners mine? They've got great stats and can do other things fantastically. Because their stats are nice they'll learn other things quickly and if you want a great dwarf to add to your military ranks.... miner! Anyone who hits legendary in my forts is immediately sent for catapult training. This has them stop making stone and has them destroying it while learning something that might save your fortress later. Legendary miners should only be mining when you're being really impatient.
<P>The only difference between a bug and a feature is documentation.