Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 444

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 611234 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #4590 on: August 17, 2013, 10:05:07 am »

Cerebral mafia would never work well in person. It's harder to take notes and impossible to review history, for example.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: August 18, 2013, 09:04:58 pm »

The fact that you added "I think" at the end throws you into the same boat as me. I have long standing issues with contradicting my own statements with those two evil words.

I'm working on trying to get rid of them out of my vocabulary. ;.;

I have a bit of trouble evaluating and appraising myself, and usually don't cross that line and instead just let other people determine their own opinions of me. It's a downfall of mine that I can't sell my strengths or speak highly of myself, or anything of that nature. Saying that I think I am too soft is just a combination of the above and a mark of not really being sure if I am or not (because I rarely get angry and I never get assertive when it happens). I'd break down and cry first.
I'm glad mafia is online and not in person. lol

While this may seem contrived... I know exactly what you mean. I don't get angry easily. But when I do get angry, it ends poorly for me. Fighting someone in real life, or witnessing a nasty fight between two people I care about is hard on me emotionally, to the point where I can no longer stomach human interaction and I find some kind of corner to break down in.

But... That is also why I started playing Mafia. I want to gain some sort of confidence. Confidence and the ability to support myself in those kind of situations is something I often lack...  Add on to this the fact that I am currently training to be vocalist and you have a potential mess!

Mafia provides help to build that kind of confidence. If you aren't confident here, you die! :D

But hey, even if we do die, we have words to fall back upon. Losing is fun!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:37:48 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: August 18, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »

True dat. Mafia helped me with social interactions, along with destroying my ability to properly form arguments!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: August 18, 2013, 11:38:14 pm »

I've actually played quite a lot of live versions of mafia (well, 'werewolves') and revolution ('Arthur' or 'Avalon' or some such) and I'm actually a lot better at it. I think I'm better at both lying and spotting lies in person. Either way, it's a very different game live.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:29 pm »

Hi, here to troll for a Lonely Prince replacement~.  Fortunately Webadict was able to replace back in after being eaten D1, but anyone else who wants to join this ridiculous game would be much appreciated.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: August 22, 2013, 06:26:11 pm »

Hi, here to troll for a Lonely Prince replacement~.  Fortunately Webadict was able to replace back in after being eaten D1, but anyone else who wants to join this ridiculous game would be much appreciated.
Advertising company here: This isn't ridiculous! :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: August 26, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »

The next game I run alone will probably be Mad Science!! themed.  I'm planning on starting in about a month, which will give me lots of time to hammer out the ideas and figure out how to do things better than in Lonely Prince.  Much lighter on flavor than the universe that has Aureliusz Vektor, whatever that is to be called, with no Princess Amendment (though I will probably keep that around for some future games).  Expect weird and experimental, albeit completely transparent mechanics.

How do we feel?  Is anyone interested?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: August 26, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »

I'm always in favor of SCIENCE themed Mafia.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »

I'm interested. It'd be nice to see how it goes at any rate.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: August 28, 2013, 10:55:09 pm »

Well, I'm back from my trip, which means that I'll probably be running Vengeful Mafia 8(?) soon. I just need a bit of time to get sorted out.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:47 pm »

Okay!!  I'll start planning it up, then.  It will go into signups as soon as I have a basic structure and story figured out, but it likely won't start for a long while after that.

EDIT: Please updoot the OP to reflect recent changes, Meph~

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: August 29, 2013, 02:44:12 am »

There's a recurring problem with the BMs we've been using for a while. Everyone knows about it - it's the amount of replacements and low late-game activity - but we haven't taken steps to try and solve the problem. Sure, there's a paragraph at the start that mentions the need for commitment, but it's fairly obvious now that nobody takes the warning seriously enough.

One of the biggest culprits is the length of a game. For many people that have come here, the standard long-format three, four week Mafia game is simply too much to bear. Longer days don't help but can exacerbate the problem: Interest will invariably wane over those days, but as there is an expectation that they need to stick around, they're able to do so because of the lower posting requirement, leading to uninterested lurkers that stick around because they have to. Obviously this doesn't apply to people who leave because of schoolwork/work/vacations/etc. but it should apply to many new players.

As a solution to this problem, I propose a new short-format Mafia game directed at new players to play before the current BM or alongside it. Call it Beginner's Mafia Sprint, or Mafia Trial Version or something. The purpose of this is to create a fun, intense session of Mafia that can be played on short notice and with little commitment, which should be perfect for the entering casual player with little patience. I'm trying to come up with one myself, but it's taking time.

Thoughts?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: August 29, 2013, 02:52:08 am »

I've been working with this issue myself.  For my next game, I'll be having a week-long D1 with soft hammers and no extensions available, and then later days will run more on the usual model.  Everyone wants to do a good job and make a good choice, but the fact is that it's really, really hard to make a good choice D1, and the decisions usually don't get better the longer D1 runs--plus, they expend a lot of energy at the beginning of the game that they should be saving for the end, after reveals appear.

Anyway.  I think that a "sprint" game might be appropriate.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: August 29, 2013, 02:59:52 am »

I agree. Interminably long days when there's low activity are the worst thing about forum mafia. A shorter turn around would force players to make the most of the time they get. Just getting rid of extensions would help I think. Vector's idea for removing them just on day one strikes me as a good idea. You need information to play an interesting game and Day 1 there is no real info.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:06 am »

We can't fully toss extensions, but I like the model where D1 is non-extended and extensions become progressively harder to get.  It shouldn't be 4 people holding the town hostage and the rest lurking.

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 444