Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Meaning Of Life  (Read 4820 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Meaning Of Life
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 07:40:19 am »

I was wondering, to what extent a guy who claims to want to join the military to have an excuse to kill people is actually suitable to join a military corps? From my POV that's hiring potential Nidal Malik Hassan material.

I have a feeling those type of people make up a significant portion of recruits, actually
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 07:46:08 am »

I'm sure it helps, but doesn't military training make soldiers able to kill play a word anyway? It doesn't seem like it'd matter.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:41 am »

Well don't think that way or you might.

And I'm not sure the military are looking for people who actually want to kill another human (by which I mean any human), nor am I sure you explained yourself correctly. What I think you meant (obviously I could be quite wrong) is that you want to be in a situation where you're fighting against someone who you percive as a threat to your country, your family, whatever, in a combat situation i.e. not just some random street brawl or whatever, because bringing a gun to a forced knife fight invalidates self defense claims.

Did I get that right?
Correct.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 01:29:18 pm »

I was wondering, to what extent a guy who claims to want to join the military to have an excuse to kill people is actually suitable to join a military corps? From my POV that's hiring potential Nidal Malik Hassan material.

I have a feeling those type of people make up a significant portion of recruits, actually

In Psychology 001, We're learning about how in groups, if given direct commands by a leader, people will go as far as necessary to get results and because they are in a group, they dissociate the responsibility. It basically explains every war and genocide since the dawn of time.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 03:11:19 pm »

Not very; unfortunately those kind of people make up the majority of volenteers.

It's a sad but often painful truth that the best people for a given job are rarely the ones who want it the most. What the military needs are people who follow orders; everything else is secondary.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »

He's probabaly young, It'll pass unless he's dumb too.

I pray every night I didn't kill anyone I got in a fight with.
Anytime I ever get involved, or almost involved in a fight, I either never fight back, or merely push away. Simply put, I hold myself back from fighting. For good reason too.

Let me put it this way; although I'm not built like most people tend to be, I'm friggin durable. I think I've been sucker punched before, only to remain conscious still and nonchalantly walk away while my opponent was doing his whole "Punk! You wanna mess with me!" routine. I tihink one other time at a nearby tavern, I was giving my opinion, some jackass took it completely out of context, taking a general statement completely personally; again, with the sucker punching to a headlock, His pummeling was equivalent to a head massage. The only punches that actually did any damage at all were those that missed his target completely. All this happening while my "friends" merely were telling him to stop. I had to literally pull myself out of his grasp after maybe the 20th hit, with NO help at all from any witnesses (as well as people I knew since elementary school; who also promised their loyalty to "fight for you" or words to that effect). Yeah... And it was nearly a carbon copy of prior incidents with similar quoting as I merely responded with "Are you done?" and left to grab another drink a he gets kicked out. No response or contact from anyone else for the rest of the night apparently.

I tell you that to explain my durability, and attitude towards fighting. Now imagine all that concentrated into a well-aimed punch or kick. To put it this way, I only need one shot to end a fight. I hold back in fear I might incapacitate, disable, or kill my opponent entirely by accident.

To kill as a meaning of life, fight in a war would be your destiny methinks. But I don't think that's a better way of putting it. At least your "meaning" would be put to use.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 03:34:36 pm »

I've never been punched in the face by someone intending to do me serious harm, so I'm not sure if I'm that tough, but I can take quite a bit of pain without it registering on my face that it hurts, or even while laughing at the person.  I wouldn't last more than five seconds in a real fight though, I'm flimsy.
Shoes...

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2009, 08:09:40 pm »

I've only ever been in one fight and it was rather painful. Pain for me registers after the fight, as one extremly sudden and painful blow. Me and a freind got into a fight because we were bored to tears and it just kinda happened. We finally stopped when he punched me in the ribs so hard I thought my stomach had been liquified. I grabbed his arm and pulled him to the ground and put him in a UFC/MMA stlye armbar. We decided it would be best to stop before we really hurt each other. I was a walking bag of bruises after the fight. He had a cut on his arm and a bruise over his left eye.

To me the meaning of life is to give your life some kind of meaning and leave an impact on others. Be it by bettering the entire world by doing something great, like curing AIDS; or my helping a small group of others make their lives slightly better. Or on the flip side your life could have meaning by doing great acts of evil, like Hitler and the holocaust, or by harming enough people to be remebered but not notorius, such as a man who murders seven people.

Either way, your life had some kind of meaning and left an impression on others.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2009, 09:53:02 pm »

I've only ever been in one fight and it was rather painful. Pain for me registers after the fight, as one extremly sudden and painful blow. Me and a freind got into a fight because we were bored to tears and it just kinda happened. We finally stopped when he punched me in the ribs so hard I thought my stomach had been liquified. I grabbed his arm and pulled him to the ground and put him in a UFC/MMA stlye armbar. We decided it would be best to stop before we really hurt each other. I was a walking bag of bruises after the fight. He had a cut on his arm and a bruise over his left eye.

To me the meaning of life is to give your life some kind of meaning and leave an impact on others. Be it by bettering the entire world by doing something great, like curing AIDS; or my helping a small group of others make their lives slightly better. Or on the flip side your life could have meaning by doing great acts of evil, like Hitler and the holocaust, or by harming enough people to be remebered but not notorius, such as a man who murders seven people.

Either way, your life had some kind of meaning and left an impression on others.

I wrestled in highschool. All my wrestling friends did is fight. A lot of fun.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 04:32:06 pm »

I dislike fighting.
I'm normally big enough and calm enough to discourage people.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 05:59:21 pm »

I'm not social enough to piss people off.  I just go "Yeah.  Yeah.  I dunno.  Heh, yeah."  when someone makes small talk.  Eventually they get distracted.  That's with people I don't want to talk to, of course.  I'm more than capable of having a quality conversation in real life.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 06:52:59 pm »

I've never been in a fight for years.  This, BTW, is not a product of some kind of strange pacifism. I dont like fights because by just participating on it you are opening yourself to a lawsuit, and because you have a high risk of being hurt, and I dont like being hurt. The closest to a fight I've been it's when three years ago an asshole sucker-punched me and fell upon me, but after the first one I dodged and retreated.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 08:58:34 pm »

All my fights have either been 'punch 'n run', 'one strong tackle leaves you in a position where you can punch the other dude senseless' or a favorite from when I was in my first few years at primary, 'make him chase you into the sight of a teacher but don't throw a single punch'. I pretty much won most of my fights, if won is 'getting the last punch'. I have a feeling I'd get taken to pieces rather quickly in a real fight though.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 01:51:28 am »

Well, I don't really think I'd punch in fighting. It's a waste of time. In the time it takes to punch I could easily grab a hand or leg and throw them to the ground.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 02:55:34 am »

Don't punch people; if you hit something hard you're like to do almost as much damage to your hand as you do to him. More than one person has punched someone in a hard spot (like the ribs) and broken his own knuckles.

Palm strikes work better. A good solid strike to the chest (not too hard, you'll risk killing him if you strike hard enough) will wind most people, follow it up with a knee in the groin and an uppercut (not the throat; you do not want to kill him remember) and most people will drop, giving you time to leg it. If you're quick enough you can take the guy down and be fifty meters down the alley, or out of the bar, before any of his mates put two and two together and work out what just happened.

You generally don't want to engage yourself in a wrestling match; if the guy you jump has mates you're in the shit, and while throws are fine and dandy they take time and if you screw it up he might land on something like the corner of a table, and then you're staring in the face of accidental manslaughter charges, which are never pretty. If you get into a fight, take the guy down as quickly and efficiently as possible and then get the hell out of dodge.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:57:39 am by Neruz »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6