Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Meaning Of Life  (Read 4834 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The Meaning Of Life
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:29 pm »

Those who really believe it are what we call sociopaths.

actually no. Sociopaths actually lack a sense of emotional closeness (that's why they often lash against their families) and of consequences of their acts (lets be frank, pretty much everyone, to greater or lesser degrees, wants to get his own way over everyone's from time to time. But we dont go into violent rampages because we know that in the long run you dont want to fall on the wrong side of the Man, or piss off people in general -assuming you are savvy, this last one-)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 10:35:41 pm »

I really don't feel like responding right now to you people.
Who cares.
CRAWLING BENEATH YOUR SKIN
THESE WOOOOOUNDS
WILLLL NOT HEEEEEEAAAAL
Yeah, what he said.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:19 pm »

Find a decent way to die.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:58 pm »

Andy1005 Hey there scum.

I vote Cheetar.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 04:17:48 am »

That's enough with the mafia jokes.  You need to move on and leave people alone.  If you have a problem with someone, contact me or Toady and keep it off the threads.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 08:33:08 am »

Personally, I don't think life was supposed to happen, and there is no afterlife, but I'm not dead.
My opinion: Live as long as you can and die a happy person.
What do you mean "supposed to happen"? O_o What's the supposition based on?   ;D

Regarding the afterlife... Do we really need to care that much if there is or not?  It's like wondering if our house will be blown up when we get home... You'll know it when you get there... (uhh weird analogy? I'm know for that :P)

Meaning of life... er... Whatever I make it mean... If I want it to be a pessimistic hole of suffering I'll probably manage to do so.  If I want to make it a place to enjoy and grow as an aware being, I'll manage to make it so too...

ultimately, what the fuck do I know?  I shouldn't care that much as long as, like many of you said, I can be happy both alone and with other people.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 10:24:54 am »

It's the inherent chaotic nature of life that makes a fixed meaning impossible, and that is what makes life worth living. I'd argue the statement "meaning of life" is itself a moronic phrase. It's no different from saying "meaning of pizza", just as ridiculous and just as ultimately meaningless. ^^

As for the afterlife, do we really need any more proof that our life is our body and brain and only that? Memories, Personality, all of these, everything that is inherently us, has been shown to be encoded in the physical brain. Do we continue after death? How can we, when there is nothing left to continue? =)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:29:30 am by TheDarkJay »

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 11:45:40 am »

how can there be a greater meaning if im the centre of the universe - there fore i will do as i wish

The sad thing is, there are far more people who honestly believe this than you'd expect.

i was being a bit sarcastic with my original response. in many ways we all act like we a the centre of the universe some if not most of the time, we do as we wish and define the reasons for our own existence, with varying regard as to how it affects others.

In a word selfishness

i guess theres a difference between 'The Meaning of life' and the meaning of your life, most peoples lives have no meaning. Whether life as a higher philisophical entity has a mean is debate able
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 02:10:08 am »

Each life has it's own meaning. Your place in this universe is to find your place in this universe. Your goal in life should be to make life worth living. Try and outdo others, in whatever way you see fit. Perhaps it is honing your skills so as to be renowned for them, or to lead politically.

Mine is simply to learn and experience, I want to see this universe around me in all it's splendor. I want to explore and learn.

You can't create a thread about the meaning of life expecting there to be some sort of universal truth that is true to all of us. We cover too broad of a spectrum to be pigeon-holed into having one common reason to be here. I don't think there can be such a thing as absolute anything.

Try to find your own meaning. Even if it is as simple as helping other people.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 05:48:11 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:51 am »

There's no "meaning" we're information processing systems that evolved thanks ultimately to arbitrary laws of physics and we produce representations that are what we call "meaning"

so either nothing or whatever the hell you want
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 10:27:32 am »

Get the hell out if you don't have anything serious to add.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:23 am »

What?  Seriously?  Nobody's gonna say it?  Fine.  I'll do it myself.

The meaning of life:
"Every rose has its thorn.  Every night has a dawn.  Every cowboy sings a sad sad song."

Excellent!  *air guitar*

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:27 am »

Get the hell out if you don't have anything serious to add.
Seriousness is overrated.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 12:12:03 pm »

The meaning of life? Are you sure you don't want the meaning of liff?
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6