Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The object, ROCK.  (Read 5846 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The object, ROCK.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 09:10:42 am »

Oh, so if I want a flash freeze, I make a low boiling point. If I want a flash FIRE I set it really high?

You need to set an entities (creatures) internal temperature to make it ignite things, which is the closest I can see to a flash fire. Not for stone layers though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:28 am »

Okay.

So how do I make the stone layer drop a burning carcass when you mine it?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 01:48:52 pm »

Oh, so if I want a flash freeze, I make a low boiling point. If I want a flash FIRE I set it really high?

That doesn't make any sense. If that were true, then damn near ANYTHING would flash-fry your dwarves when you mine it, considering how high the boiling points for stones and metals are.

And I thought I already said this, but you cannot modify what type of item is left behind by mining. It's always stone, or nothing in the case of soil layers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. If that were true, then damn near ANYTHING would flash-fry your dwarves when you mine it, considering how high the boiling points for stones and metals are..
It's not really a flash fire, but anything nearby will take heavy heat damage and maybe die if the [SPECHEAT:] (it is specheat for stones isn't it? Or is it fixed temp?) is higher than the boiling point, and the boiling point is high.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 04:16:20 pm »

Okay.

So how do I make the stone layer drop a burning carcass when you mine it?

you can't really do that. You can make it drop nothing by adding [soil] or make it leave a rock (that depending on temperature may melt or boil).
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 05:31:31 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. If that were true, then damn near ANYTHING would flash-fry your dwarves when you mine it, considering how high the boiling points for stones and metals are..
It's not really a flash fire, but anything nearby will take heavy heat damage and maybe die if the [SPECHEAT:] (it is specheat for stones isn't it? Or is it fixed temp?) is higher than the boiling point, and the boiling point is high.

Specific heat and fixed temperature are totally different beasts.

Specific heat is how much energy it takes to raise the temperature of the substance a given amount. Fixed temperature is the actual temperature it takes on.

I'm not sure you can specify a fixed heat for stone, but if you do, it could work. Specific heat probably won't accomplish much at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »

You can indeed make a flash fire, by making a stone flammable like lignite, and then setting the combust point really low. As soon as it's mined, it'll burst into flames.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »

True! All you need to do for that is specify an ignite point.

Lignite's:
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 06:14:42 pm »

What temperatures do objects burn at? Obviously they ignite at a given temperature, but I haven't seen a tag that controlls the temperature of the reaction (as in chemical reaction, rather than in-game reaction). To make it clearer, if I create a stone that ignites at an arbitarily low temperature, will it burn hot enough to ignite lignite or charcoal?

If there's no tag, I guess it must default to something. Fire Men have a fixed temperature of 10 800 d.u. but I'm just clutching at straws there.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 06:34:50 pm »

This is a really good question. Fire as a whole is a bit weird and buggy. It could be that rather than using temperature flows and ignite points and so on, that fire is able to spread wherever something is on fire and on the same tile as something else with a similar ignite point. I don't know, though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:29 pm »

[MATGLOSS_STONE:MICROCLINE]
[NAME:microcline][COLOR:3:7:1][TILE:'%']
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER:100]
[IGNITE_POINT:1]
[MELTING_POINT:5000]
[BOILING_POINT:10000]

Now, will this rock burn hot enough to light a dwarf? Will it be hot enough to evaporate water?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:50 pm »

I don't know and unless there's anyone here who does, you might just have to put on your science hat and find out for us all. Remember, if all else fails, you can always drop the ignite point of dwarves to make it easier.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 09:40:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure it takes about 1000 degrees over "dwarf standard temperature" to light things aflame.

Generally, fire burns only at 600+ degrees C (depending on what is burning).

EDIT: here's what wiki says

Temperature of fire based on flame color
Red
Just visible: 525 °C (977 °F)
Dull: 700 °C (1,292 °F)
Cherry, dull: 800 °C (1,470 °F)
Cherry, full: 900 °C (1,650 °F)
Cherry, clear: 1,000 °C (1,830 °F)
Orange
Deep: 1,100 °C (2,010 °F)
Clear: 1,200 °C (2,190 °F)
White
Whitish: 1,300 °C (2,370 °F)
Bright: 1,400 °C (2,550 °F)
Dazzling: 1,500 °C (2,730 °F)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:43:08 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 12:47:45 am »

True! All you need to do for that is specify an ignite point.

Lignite's:
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]

This.

If you want a flash fire, set [BOILING_POINT:12,768], [IGNITE_POINT:9000] and LEAVE [SPEC_HEAT:] THE HELL ALONE. Specific heat capacity changes how much the temperature of a material  is affected by its surroundings (lower specific heat means it absorbs and releases heat faster). It's probably just a placeholder in DF, but there's a chance that screwing with it will really **** shit up.

This should make it so the stone of choice will ignite at below freezing once mined, then burn, constantly increasing in temperature until it reaches the melting point of iron, when it disappears in a puff of vapor.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:14 am »

So burning materials just increase in temperature untill they reach their boiling point and evaporate?
That's an odd, but rather elegant way of implementing it. Cheers, I'll keep that in mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3