Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need workaround for known windmill bug  (Read 654 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Need workaround for known windmill bug
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:35:38 pm »

I have wind, and I had 4 working windmills. Unfortunately I had forgotten to suspend the connection to magma pumping, so they started working a bit early. I enacted a known bug by destroying a gear assembly holding one up, and then I rebuild the gear assembly and destroyed windmill.

Now none of my windmills that were connected to it work, even when I destroy it again. Any idea what's up? My next move is to destroy both it and its gear assembly, and see if that solves anything.

I just need a workaround so that I don't have to scrap my whole freakin magma project. If anyone knows how to end the problem with the other windmills and allow my project to continue, please let me know.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need workaround for known windmill bug
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:47:25 pm »

My first question is why didn't you just either a) dismantle the windmill or b) connect a lever to a gear assembly not under the windmill and disconnect it?

Also, removing the supporting gear assembly destroying the mill isn't a bug.  Any unsupported construction collapses into its component parts.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:15:42 pm »

I deconstructed what I could to stop it without burning a dwarf alive.

I didn't say that was a bug. I'm actually referring to known bug 000590, which I suppose I could have listed. Or you could have looked it up before you replied.

Does anyone have a solution?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:20:13 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:59:00 am »

000590 ▨ (doesn't reproduce) [dwarf mode][buildings][machines]    windmills built on existing gear assemblies don't work

TBH, that doesn't make sense.  1) You destroyed the gear assembly, not built a windmill, 2) 590 doesn't reproduce, and 3) I do that (building on existing gears) all the time.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:29:55 am »

I see the tag now for doesn't reproduce.

I thought it was crystal clear: I built a mill, destroyed the gear supporting it, and reproduced 590. This is not the first time I've faced this error, either. It causes any mills built in its place to lose power, and often mills built on preexisting gears that were connected to it also fail.

I assumed everyone knew about this. I have no trouble reproducing the error. I was hoping someone would have a workaround other than destroying the now-dysfunctional mills. I don't understand how this could not be a known bug, but maybe I have found something new. Or the root of 590, which as you point out is labeled "does not reproduce"
The sigs topic:

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:51 am »

Just followed the exact same proceedure you did:

1) build gear assembly
2) build mill on top of gears
3) deconstruct gears
4) build gears
5) build mill on top of gears

I have power.

Are you sure that it isn't an issue of having too little power and too much need?  If you need 400 power and you're only supplying 399, then the chain will say "0 power" as everything stops moving.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:06:01 pm »

How do you mean you 'destroyed' the gear? did you burn it with magma or let a building destroyer at it? maybe the power bug only happens if it is not deconstructed properly.

If you could make a video of reproducing this bug it would probably help.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:11:51 pm »

Magma likely damaged one of the windmills, which may contribute.  There was vast shallow magma flooding at the time I was forced to deconstruct it.
The sigs topic: