Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trading large numbers of items  (Read 4183 times)

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading large numbers of items
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:00:22 pm »

As I progress deeper into my first substantial fortress, I'm finding more and more that trading is hugely tedious.  There are two issues that make trading difficult:

* Searching in the Move Goods area only shows top-level items that match your term, not items inside bins.  This makes it difficult to accurately select all 'narrow' items.
     * This can largely be resolved by being careful about piles, but I haven't found a way to differentiate 'large leather armor' from 'leather armor'
* There is no way to select everything displayed in the Trading or Move Goods areas - If I do a search term and find everything with 'narrow' or 'large', it would be nice to be able to select it all.  Similarly, if I wanted to move all craft items (and I often do), there is no way to do it except to go through a long flag list of bins and raw goods.

Is there something I'm missing?  Or a memory tool that would let me easily handle this?

Additionally, it would be really great if there was a pile option that would let me operate on item size as well as the other conditions - I would love to include 'large' and 'narrow' items in my 'salable goods' pile, but I definitely don't want them in my barracks weapon store.

Are there options that I have that I'm not aware of that would make these less frustrating?  Thanks!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading large numbers of items
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:16:40 pm »

Armour stockpiles have 'usable' and 'unusable' tags. Stick unusable armour in the trade goods pile, and forbid from the barracks.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »

Ah, excellent.  That solves that problem.  Now if only there were a way to bulk select items to trade...

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »

There is a macro I started using from the wiki that binds ` to effectively select ten things.  Let's see.

Ah, here it is.  Put this into your data\init\interface.txt, at the bottom:

Code: [Select]
[BIND:MACRO0]
[SYM:`]
[MACRO:SELECT:1]
[MACRO:STANDARDSCROLL_DOWN:1]

Doesn't directly solve your problem, I find it to be a whole let less tedious now.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:47 pm »

Also, adjust your MACRO_MS in init.txt to 0.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:08:13 pm »

Make more valuable trade goods. Instead of stonecrafts, take up clothes making. Narrow GCS thongs with masterwork dyed, masterwork woven, and masterwork sewn images are damn valuable. Import GCS silk cloth for even more valuable goodies.

Take up metalsmithing. Platinum mugs go for around 2.4k masterwork, steel can hit 2k. They're just fun.

Train a gemsetter. Import gems and set valuable trade goods with them. Real profit right there.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »

For selecting, clothes go into finished goods bins and armor goes into armor bins. You can search for those and haul the entire bins in, then trade them away (or just trade away the contents of the bins if you have a shortage of bins). Of course, this can grab usable stuff in addition to unusable stuff.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:46:45 pm »

Make more valuable trade goods. Instead of stonecrafts, take up clothes making. Narrow GCS thongs with masterwork dyed, masterwork woven, and masterwork sewn images are damn valuable. Import GCS silk cloth for even more valuable goodies.

Take up metalsmithing. Platinum mugs go for around 2.4k masterwork, steel can hit 2k. They're just fun.

Train a gemsetter. Import gems and set valuable trade goods with them. Real profit right there.

Don't forget cooking. My Adept cook made a Dwarven syrup roast [70] the other day that was worth well over 20000 DB.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:54:25 pm »

Seconded. My last couple three fortresses have based their trading economies around sewing cloth and leather images on narrow crap left by the goblins, encrusting trade goods with green glass, and decorating things with bone and shell. May not add much value, but it makes them my created wealth for accounting purposes.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »

More than that. I did the stonecrafting thing for a while. It's great for increasing wealth, nothing can match it, but you need gigantic stockpiles for all the low value mugs, and then when you want to buy out a caravan either you have to sell the bins or you break your keyboard trying to sell each individual 120 value mug. On the flipside, you can buy an entire elf caravan with a single heavily decorated GCS silk item. Much easier on the hands, and a hell of a lot more fun to set up.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »

Plus you get to look at absurdities like the Sylvite Mechanism that's worth over 90k dwarfbucks...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:26 am »

I have heard of some people who, instead of mass-producing cheap craft items, focus on decorating the hell out of five or six items. I've tried it, and it's pretty fun to see how valuable you can make an item. Especially if you import lots of gems and have like twenty kinds of bone. The micro-managing gets annoying though.

But I'm sure that a masterful, heavily decorated Platinum statue looks like a freaking Christmas tree of pure awesome.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:42:42 am »

Yeah, but often, selling stuff isn't so much a means to profit as it is a way to get rid of a ton of garbage without atom smashing or chasming it.  I find that, once you've got the stuff in the depot, you can just hold down the down arrow and the enter key at the same time, and it'll fly down the list, selecting everything and conveniently de-selecting bins as it selects the first item inside.  It'll miss a couple at the top of the list, while the key repeats warm up, but you'll likely overshoot the bottom of your list and ugly up the first half-dozen items anyway, and it's a snap to fix that before you sell.
I brake for stumble bumblings

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:51 am »

More than that. I did the stonecrafting thing for a while. It's great for increasing wealth, nothing can match it,

Come now, you know that isn't even remotely true. I had 4 legendaries making some crafts for 3 years, and one season of sunshine/syrup roasts made triple the value. Only 2 cooks and a year or so prior of growing/brewing needed.

For another example, metal crafting or armorsmithing will also get you a ton more than stonecrafting. The only thing stonecrafting does is slightly lower the clutter by turning stone into something you have to store in masses of bins. This of course requires masses of bins and hauling, which is truly a pain. It is better to just quantum-dump the stone.

The only time stonecrafting is really worthwhile is when you have a ton of obsidian to work with. Even then, making something with a value multiplier is a much better use for obsidian.

One things that bugs me is obsidian short swords. They're made at an obscene speed and are worth less than their base materials (3+1)*(120) != 360
It should be the opposite, and it's a waste of material in terms of value created. If you don't watch out, a legendary stonecrafter will turn a whole stock of obsidian into more worthless swords than you'll ever need. Weapon trap material!

Anyway, the point is that stonecrafting is one of the worst ways to make wealth. Unless your standard of wealth is 5million in 10 years.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:36 am »

It's the fastest. And the available resources approach the infinite.
Wood needs to grow back. Tower-cap farms need time.
Metal needs goblinite, trading, and/or luck when exploratory mining. AND MAGMA/WOOD.

Churn out fifty base value chairs out of stone and you'll have a royal dining room in your first year. Now to replace them with masterwork steel, that's the stuff you do in the later years, when not everybody is busy on your megaproject ;p
Pages: [1] 2 3