Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Volcanic erruptions and artiesian wells, world map pressure, magma cooling  (Read 1977 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Water and magma should have pressure based upon world map:

Aquifers should have high pressure, so if you dig into it it could rise up a few levels, or if you are in a low area, all the way to the surface.

Volcanoes should erupt, magma pipes could overflow, this could later be linked to gods and other events, ie god of magma gets angry, global magma pressure level rises, earthquake causes one volcanoe to be blocked off, raises global magma pressure a bit. Perhaps volcanoes form where magma pressure is too high.

Also magma cooling should be based on heat, so over a few years it might disapate heat, allowing little volcanoes to form (lava hardens, magma pressure breaks middle few tiles, raises, happens again).
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic erruptions and artiesian wells, world map pressure, magma cooling
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »

There's a thing called the search function. If you used it, you'd find tons of little threads about this, and one huge megathread.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »

I still love the idea, and havent heard of it before myself.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:29:39 pm »

I haven't either.

It would be nice if aquifers existed as large region-spanning bodies with their own elevation to them, so that the pressure changes depending on where you are, as in real life. Of course, this could lead to a lot of Fun and might be difficult to control, and aquifers would likely need to be placed more deeply (on average) for it to work. Somehow integrating them into the new cavern system as, say, giant underground rivers, would be nice too.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:15:31 am »

Aquifers should have high pressure, so if you dig into it it could rise up a few levels, or if you are in a low area, all the way to the surface.

Not really.  Depends on the surrounding geology.

If anything, the current system is too fast.  Here's the best example I can find.  Look at those lines, days to years for water to flow downhill through the soil layers.

What causes springs is when you have a layer of non-porous rock that is holding back water from seeping out of the ground (say, a granite cliff that is a vertical layer of stone due to upthrust, so it has "dirt" behind it).  The water will seep downwards due to gravity, flow under the sheet of rock, and then come back up again, forming a spring.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:30:58 am »

Volcanoes should erupt, magma pipes could overflow,

I believe you can achieve this with a save game from before magma pipes refilled and using it in a later version. There was a bug raised on it somewhere :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:22:38 am »

Volcanoes should erupt, magma pipes could overflow,

I believe you can achieve this with a save game from before magma pipes refilled and using it in a later version. There was a bug raised on it somewhere :)

No, you achieved it by embarking on a bottomless pit map and have the two air layers above it (previous version only) filled with magma.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:37:42 am »

No, there was a bug awhile back where using an old map with a magma pipe could cause it to overflow continuously. Being able to pour magma on top of bottomless pits is a separate issue.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:29:22 pm »

No, there was a bug awhile back where using an old map with a magma pipe could cause it to overflow continuously. Being able to pour magma on top of bottomless pits is a separate issue.

That is not a bug I remember.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »

Well, I'll be the first to admit that my memory can be faulty, but I'm as certain as I can be that I remember seeing a video of a player embarking on a map, landing next to the magma pipe, and immediately losing his dwarves to overflowing magma.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 07:06:24 pm »

Do you perchance mean this one?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 08:29:23 pm »

Well I find the idea of artesian wells a very cool one. As my hometown is itself built around a natural spring... I would have no hesitation in starting a fortress on an artesian well and naming it after my city.

And volcanoes erupting can only create FUN.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 08:48:06 pm »

Draco: hm, that might've been it. Hunh. Oh, well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »

It would be great to have some kind of semi-natural fountain in the middle of your fortress, with the water carried off into a nearby stream. Especially if geyser-type things exist.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:55:17 am »

Draco: hm, that might've been it. Hunh. Oh, well.

Totally my fort and totally a bottomless pit. :P
Pages: [1] 2