Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d][Bins & Stockpiles]  (Read 408 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
[40d][Bins & Stockpiles]
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:15:03 am »

This is a more general form of

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39411.0

I am able to store empty bags and bins of cloth in the same stockpile squares, as well as hauled stones and bins of stone blocks.  I suspect that barrels will do the same thing, based on the fact that barrels will share stockpile squares with uncleared stones, and anecdotal evidence about food as described below.

In short, I believe that one each of these two types of things will share a stockpile square if the stockpile is set to accept them both.

1.  Something that fits in a bin or barrel, if bins or barrels are permitted in the stockpile.

2.  Something that doesn't fit in a bin or barrel, or has no bin or barrel available such as a loose piece of food in a stockpile with no more barrels available.

This latter would explain why I have sometimes found one piece of food on the top of some barrels of food, which does not spoil as one might expect from food left outside a stockpile.  It is considered to be inside the stockpile, stored in keeping with the rule above.

This may also be related to the observation that bins and barrels will overfill if some of their contents are forbidden after storage.

Edit: It will also place an empty barrel in the same stockpile tile as a full barrel, if you store empty barrels (furniture) in a food stockpile that allows barrels.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:44:34 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.