Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many haulers?  (Read 2889 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many haulers?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:43 pm »

Would it be a good idea to give every dwarf every skill? Just enable everything. I wonder if it would be easier or harder.

That would be insanely bad.  No dwarf would get significantly good at any skill, and thus you'd get a lot of no-quality goods, and everyone would work slowly.  Also, then any job could be taken by a dwarf who was on the other side of your fortress doing something else...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 11:58:53 pm »

ugh but i don't find advanced skills to be all that useful.

Advances miners make more stone which noone needs, expensive good are pretty much useless to me as i always find myself giving away thousands worth of goods to make room, and it's too easy to make a room valuable or to have 2 dwarves wipe out the next seige.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 12:51:18 am »

I have everyone do everything with the exception of:

metalworking
engraving
mechanics
jewel cutting/setting

This lets me have an extremely flexible workforce. If I, say, designate 1000 sections of walls to be constructed, my entire population (except for the elites who are exempt from all other tasks save for their speciality) runs out there to get the job done. After that job is done they go back to doing whatever, like farming or collecting webs or making barrels.

I make all furniture out of metal. Barrels and bins are made out of wood, so any random peasant can make those. I don't care about the quality of my barrels and bins.

However the dwarves do become surprisingly skilled. Its not uncommon go have a dozen legendary craftsdwarves with this setup, churning out masterwork mugs and cloth crafts even though there are 100+ dwarves that can do this. This also means all of my dwarves have huge stat bonuses from all that working. When there is no work for them to do they haul stuff around very quickly.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:48 am »

I guess deep down dwarf fortress is just too easy.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 02:51:13 am »

You could set up a well, a plump helmet farm, rows of traps, and your boring yet highly efficient fortress would last forever.

Thats not the point.

The point is to build things excessively large and push dwarves to the limit of sanity.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:24 am »

In General 25% should do, keep 25-50 if your at 200 asuming that the others do something worth while

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 04:20:34 pm »

I assign every, not working, female dwarf to haul stuff.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:29 am »

I didvide my workforce in two part (plus the military).

One one part all the one who have a true job, miner, smiths, cooks, farmers, craftdwrves, etc etc. They do all the work expet for hauling, masonry (I don't need stone furniture with a legendary glassmaker) and wood cutting.

The last one hundred or so dwarves all have hauling, pump operating, plant gathering (To let the wood regenerate), masonry and wood cutting (Because I like the tough of having a 100 strong militia of legendary pump operator armed at hand, and because tantrum spirals are funnier that way -they have blackmetal axes)

After a few years half of your dwarves are legendary and still tolerably brisk even with 5 FPS.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 05:02:07 am »

Pure haulers with no real job? Zero :)
... though admittedly some of my dwarves are woodcutters/millers/pump operators, with a pump I only use to generate additional paid jobs; and I have about 15 furnace ops who also spend much of their time hauling stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]