Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: create magma from molten stone  (Read 1819 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
create magma from molten stone
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

I'm not sure if this happens already, but I think stone that is melted in magma should turn into generic magma and increase the volume of magma.  This would be a slow way to get more magma, and get rid of your stone.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: create magma from molten stone
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>I'm not sure if this happens already, but I think stone that is melted in magma should turn into generic magma and increase the volume of magma.  This would be a slow way to get more magma, and get rid of your stone.</STRONG>

Makes sense to me!! Though we should avoid the same business where ice always melts into 7/7 water no matter how much of it there is. A rock made by mining out a whole tile would probably fill 7/7 (or 5 or 6, considering it's no longer filling the *entire* tile) magma, while a small rock mug would fill like 2/7.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

Considering how much rock you get that'd mean your magma channel would overflow after 20-30 rocks unless you let the magma spill off somewhere..
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Considering how much rock you get that'd mean your magma channel would overflow after 20-30 rocks unless you let the magma spill off somewhere..</STRONG>

That means you have to be more careful. Having your magma channel overflow would be the player's fault if that happened.

Love the idea. Anything to kill off these waves in the magma.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 01:06:00 am »

My only problem with this is that when i mine out my magma channels for forges and such like there is often an almost solid layer of rock left.  If this rock added 5 or 6 units to the magma it would probably overflow.  Maybe make it so that rocks add 1 or 2 units of magma since i think 1 unit of magma can be used to make 1 unit of obsidian.  If you then let that obsidian be thrown back in for 5 or 6 units you would have an easily renewable fairly valuable crafting material.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

Yeah I was thinking lower amounts of magma, like 2 but it could be tweaked  :)

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

Well, that's why you should melt your stone items into magma by tossing it into the TOP of the volcano, not your smelter's access channel.

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

I think it should be possible to get magma from heating up rock a lot, even if there is no magma on the map.  This would let maps with no magma get small amounts of magma eventually.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nate879:
<STRONG>I think it should be possible to get magma from heating up rock a lot, even if there is no magma on the map.  This would let maps with no magma get small amounts of magma eventually.</STRONG>

Like how?!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

What we really should have is magma eruptions that make the magma level go up every so often, even to the point of overflowing a bit and rolling downhill burning some stuff. That'd be fun, and would also replenish magma vents.

BTW anyone know where those weird pockets of magma come from and how come they stay hot? My current fortress has a covered "volcano" that only goes about 4 levels down, and has normal rock the remaining 20-ish levels below it.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

quote:
Like how?!

Dwarves of D&D Dragon Lance use huge lens in sun pits. They heat a big pit for a whole day and they end up with enough magma to last about a year. But it cool down eventually because there is no heat source like magma pits we have right now, so they have to do it each years.

That would be a great use of glass IMHO.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

The lens idea seems a bit too.... fantasyish. I've always seen Dwarf Fortress as only having fantasy elements when they can potentially hurt the player, such as dragons attacking you, and the fact that you play as really short dudes that can't stand up well in a fight.

However, various objects dumped into magma increasing it's volume is an excellent idea. Shouldn't be 7/7, though. Maybe 2/7 or 3/7 per boulder.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:48:00 am »

When I was saying lens... I forgot to mention that they are gigantic lens. They would take at the very minimum about 5 squares radius big in DF...  ;)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>
Dwarves of D&D Dragon Lance</STRONG>

Exactly. It's impossible to do, for one, and this is Dwarf Fort, not Dungeons and Dragons.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

Is it really impossible to do? I said len, they use the hell of a lot of them and everytime it's referenced in the books it's referenced as an incredible construction.

Some youngsters use lens to heat up insects for fun... Would it really be that impossible in real life to use lens to heat up rocks enough so they begin to liquefy?

Of course, IRL we'd have way better methods than lens to do it if we really wanted to... But still.

Pages: [1] 2 3