Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Dev_now] RSS feed broken  (Read 1672 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
[Dev_now] RSS feed broken
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »

I know that this topic doesn't exactly fit in this subforum, but I can't think of anywhere where it would fit better.

So, here the problem: The Dev Now page has an RSS feed, which is great, however, when I click it, I simply go to a page with some text that I presume is RSS code.
Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)
If I bookmark that page or the link to it I simply get a bookmark to the page with text, is this an issue with my RSS client or is the feed itself broken?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Dev_now] RSS feed broken
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:37:57 pm »

I know that this topic doesn't exactly fit in this subforum, but I can't think of anywhere where it would fit better.

So, here the problem: The Dev Now page has an RSS feed, which is great, however, when I click it, I simply go to a page with some text that I presume is RSS code.
If I bookmark that page or the link to it I simply get a bookmark to the page with text, is this an issue with my RSS client or is the feed itself broken?

Works fine for me on Firefox vWhateverIsTheLatest on Ubuntu Jaunty.

Make sure your client supports RSS 2.0 and Atom feeds; Looks like there may be a little interbreeding going on with this feed.

Oh, and: Valid RSS according to W3C validator.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:40:31 pm by N3X15 »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:44:13 pm »

I don't mean to be condescending, but I honestly can't tell if you know this: you need an RSS reader, like Google Reader, to read an RSS feed.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »

I have one, and I am subscribed to 30+ feeds which is why I doubt it's simply a format my reader doesn't suport. (I use the Brief 1.2.4 firefox extension.)
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:05:57 am »

I'm using RSS Ticker in Firefox and it doesn't work for me either.

vettefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:11 pm »

Well, you can just manually add the address to your rss reader. Just copy and paste http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.rss and it should work.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:48:32 am »

I'm using a browser based one which doesn't allow that unfortunately.

Of course Toady has higher priorities right now...

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »

The problem is that it's being served as a text/plain type instead of as a application/rss+xml type, so the browser doesn't believe that it is an rss feed.

The fact that there is no <link> tag for it on the dev_now.html page doesn't help.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 07:15:09 pm »

Uh.
You do know that straight clicking on an RSS feed's link has never worked like that, right?
Left-clicks have always taken you to the source.

Maybe extensions change that, but...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 06:56:10 am »

Actually in FF if you visit an rss feed directly it asks you if you want to subscribe to it. DF's doesn't, because it's not being served as an rss feed, but as plain text.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:34:25 pm »

The one on DF Talk however does seem to work...

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:08 pm »

DF's doesn't, because it's not being served as an rss feed, but as plain text.

So how do I subscribe to the feed? I have tried saving the link to the rss file, but Brief doesn't accept that.

Edit: Nevermind, hax'd it. Exported my feeds and duplicated an existing feed address and modified it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:30:51 pm by tefalo »