Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Did this degenerate into alcohol thread?  (Read 13101 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did this degenerate into alcohol thread?
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2009, 03:35:42 pm »

You can guess peoples ages by what alcohol in their preferred categories they 'like'. To my withered taste buds a beer is a beer (is not a light beer).

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2009, 08:55:28 am »

I wouldn't say it's disgusting, but yeah, for some reason teenage nerds consider it the most potent alcohol ever or something.  I think I did that.
It tastes of spit.
It is something bought and drunk by people who live in basements, watching hentai and wearing their cosplay costumes.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2009, 01:32:04 pm »

I tried it once while on holidays in London. At some expensive chinese restaurant that was otherwise quite nice. But the sake itself was disgusting.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »

Why would anything think it's the "most potent alcohol ever"? You can see the alcohol-by-volume on the damn container.

I had sake once. It was surprisingly smooth (for someone who doesn't really enjoy alcohol very much) and had sort of a ricy taste. It wasn't bad.

It is something bought and drunk by people who live in basements, watching hentai and wearing their cosplay costumes.

You are aware that sake existed before misguided japanophiles, yes?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2009, 10:29:55 pm »

You know what makes me sad? Absinthe. Everyone seems to think it's this crazy magical alcoholic version of LSD. It ain't. Real absinthe isn't this fluoro green skite we get in Australia, sure, but people have to realise that the stuff doesn't make you trip balls. It isn't even that strong alcohol wise.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:09 pm »

Why would anything think it's the "most potent alcohol ever"? You can see the alcohol-by-volume on the damn container.

Lack of actual experience with alcohol -- they've never been near any sake or had anything to compare it to.  For me, it was probably because, as a young tyke, I saw sake on the menu of a Japanese restaurant and asked my Japanese grandmother what it was, and she explained it to me as a drink more alcoholic than beer, served in very small cups.  Clearly this placed it at an extreme of potency.  For other people it probably had more of a japanophile slant to it, but in either case, it's just kids being dumb and ignorant and wanting to sound like grownups.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:47 pm »

Jones, have you actually had the real stuff or are you relying on hearsay? A lot of art surrounds it.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2009, 10:49:46 pm »

Had absinthe brought in from *I think* Belgium by a friend (which funnily enough looked nearly yellow), and also had the crappy aussie stuff with added thujone (achieved by an infusion of white sage) with the proper flaming sugar ceremony. Aside from getting thoroughly drunk, nothing happened.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2009, 10:55:20 pm »

I haven't had absinthe, but I always assumed its reputation was entirely overblown in a feedback loop of bohemians considering it the coolest thing ever because of sensationalist journalism portraying it as depraved and dissolute.  Sort of like 40s of malt liquor in 90s gangsta rap, I guess.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:01 pm »

Yes, this did degenerate into alcohol thread. You aren't interested in anything short of a miracle-cureall so your life is surprisingly unsatisfied.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2009, 04:26:07 am »

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I'd like to say some things about Coffee that I don't think have been touched on. What caffeine will do is prevent the person who took it from becoming more tired than they already are, but will not make a person less tired, and will not give them a real boost. Most caffeinated drinks on the market are also filled to the brim with spoonfulls of sugar, which is really what gives a person that boost and crash. If you use a non-sugar sweetener like Splenda (sucralose), or Stevia extract sweetner, such an effect probably will not occur.

When a person comes off a caffeine high, the crash will only come if they were already so tired the caffeine was the only think keeping them awake. The body expends energy while on caffeine, and thus becomes more tired, the brain is just not permitted to acknowledge it. Because of this, using caffeine to maintain wakefulness beyond a normal cycle is not a good idea, as it puts strain on the heart. However, a coffee in the morning is certainly not anything to be worried about. As for it's effects as an enhancement to the brain, that's far too subjective to say anything relevant about, and I feel that goes for all drugs with such claims.
!!&!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2009, 05:18:22 am »

However, a coffee in the morning is certainly not anything to be worried about.

I dunno.  I worked at a coffee shop a couple years ago and drank a couple shots of espresso every morning.  When I left that job, I went back to drinking no caffeine at all, and I felt like shit the next couple of days.  It was nothing dire but I don't see any point in cultivating a dependency that a) doesn't benefit you much once you develop a tolerance and b) debilitates you if you have to stop for some reason.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2009, 11:26:50 am »

However, a coffee in the morning is certainly not anything to be worried about.

I dunno.  I worked at a coffee shop a couple years ago and drank a couple shots of espresso every morning.  When I left that job, I went back to drinking no caffeine at all, and I felt like shit the next couple of days.  It was nothing dire but I don't see any point in cultivating a dependency that a) doesn't benefit you much once you develop a tolerance and b) debilitates you if you have to stop for some reason.
I stopped drinking 5 espressos a day for a while and crashed like the fucking Titanic.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2009, 09:59:58 am »

Like I said; -A- coffee. Singlar. Jeeze, why would anyone need a couple of shots of espresso? It's called Espresso for a reason.
!!&!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2009, 09:26:48 am »

Like I said; -A- coffee. Singlar. Jeeze, why would anyone need a couple of shots of espresso? It's called Espresso for a reason.
Because it is nice, and with 4 teaspoons of sugar it manages to keep me running 19 hours a day.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11