Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Fireplaces are awesome  (Read 6915 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fireplaces are awesome
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2009, 09:57:41 pm »

Indeed. Many snuggles occur during winter, when I get my girls over and light it up. Also, gas fireplaces ftw. I love a good wood-fire as much as anyone else, but I do that outside in a bonfire pit where I can't set my house on fire with stray ash.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2009, 11:00:35 pm »

Indeed. Many snuggles occur during winter, when I get my girls over and light it up.

Oh, the fire.
Right.

Campfires are awesome too. Especially if you have something tasty to roast.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 12:30:28 am »

Indeed. Many snuggles occur during winter, when I get my girls over and light it up. Also, gas fireplaces ftw. I love a good wood-fire as much as anyone else, but I do that outside in a bonfire pit where I can't set my house on fire with stray ash.

I used to love outdoor firepits. Then I moved to a place composed of four major landforms: 1: Sappy Pine forest. 2: Manzanita and blackberry brambles 3: Grassland 4: yawning expanses of ash and burned-down trailer parks where the LAST guy wanted to have an outdoor bonfire.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 08:14:28 am »

I chop wood with an axe. Manlier than thou.
Of course you chop wood with axe. But you first need to cut it into pieces short enough to fit in the fireplace. You do that with either a saw or a chainsaw, because if you do it with an axe you'll waste like 30% of the wood and end up with blocks with uneven ends, which makes them hard to chop. Not to mention it takes ten times longer. Axes are wonderful when you go with the grain, but against the grain they're very suboptimal.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:19 am »

I chop wood with an axe. Manlier than thou.
Of course you chop wood with axe. But you first need to cut it into pieces short enough to fit in the fireplace. You do that with either a saw or a chainsaw, because if you do it with an axe you'll waste like 30% of the wood and end up with blocks with uneven ends, which makes them hard to chop. Not to mention it takes ten times longer. Axes are wonderful when you go with the grain, but against the grain they're very suboptimal.

But its more manly to use an axe.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 10:32:25 am »

That's like saying it's more manly to eat with a pitchfork. A real man knows which tool is appropriate for which job.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:53 am »

Real men don't use tools, they do everything with their bare hands.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 11:01:01 am »

Real men don't use tools, they do everything with their bare hands.
No just Chuck Norris.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 11:06:08 am »

What's next, real men don't drink beer, fix cars and support sports teams?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 12:03:43 pm »

Let us assume you have a tree, cut down and on the ground.

First, we use a chainsaw to de-limb it. The branches may be treated as separate trees or otherwise be chopped into segments that fit your fireplace. The trunk of the tree is dealt with by cutting it into segments as long as the fireplace or stove is deep.

You then take these rounds and allow them to dry for some time, which makes the splitting more efficient. You then take a Maul or, for larger projects, a gasoline-powered pneumatic splitter, and break each round into angular sections, much like slicing a pie.

These small sections are allowed to dry for several months before burning.

That is, of course, unless you are Chuck Norris. In that case, you simply walk up to a tree, rip a chunk off with your bare hands, and shout at it until it bursts into flame.

If you are Les Stroud, then you naturally don't need a fire, because you are in perfect harmony with nature, and a wolf pack will accept you into their cave as one of them.

If you are Bear Grills, then you also don't need a fire, because you can just get in the film crew's SUV to warm up for a while.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2009, 12:07:18 pm »

Sonerohi is a pimp.

Also, most wood fireplaces have these high-tech protective apparati, like iron mesh screens and tile floor 4 feet or so around the fireplace, so it's pretty safe.
Shoes...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2009, 12:10:07 pm »

That's like saying it's more manly to eat with a pitchfork. A real man knows which tool is appropriate for which job.
I sometimes eat with a hunting knife and one of those massive carving fork things.
I use a saw to hack the wood into logs about 10 inches long, then I split them. I use old planks and stuff as kindling.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »

Actually freshly cut wood is much easier to split than dried wood. When wood dries the fibres in it deform and thus get entangled a bit, which makes the block stick together. And you don't need a maul for most blocks, axe alone does the job just fine. I chopped up like 10m^3 of firewood this year, and I only had to use a maul for a dozen or so blocks.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 12:21:19 pm »

Actually freshly cut wood is much easier to split than dried wood. When wood dries the fibres in it deform and thus get entangled a bit, which makes the block stick together. And you don't need a maul for most blocks, axe alone does the job just fine. I chopped up like 10m^3 of firewood this year, and I only had to use a maul for a dozen or so blocks.
I have a big ol' axe, so it normally does the job of hammer and axe.

Our fireplace is just a cast-iron boxy thing with a chimney above it. Safety things are for wussies.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 12:28:42 pm »

I have a little thing called civilisation. You guys should try it sometime, we've hand central heating for ages now.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6