Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Fireplaces are awesome  (Read 6938 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Is it psychologically healthy to...
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 09:37:12 am »

The eye strain thing is a myth.  Your eyes are made for seeing, seeing a little harder won't break them.
Shoes...

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 11:13:32 am »

Just eat plenty of carrots. I have good eyesight and I think it comes from my mother making stews with these gigantic chunks of carrot. Like, chunks that are larger than the meat chunks. :P
Also often called Boowells.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:20 pm »

That's also a myth, made up by the RAF in World War 2 so the Germans wouldn't find out they were using radar to spot enemy bombers.
Shoes...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »

It's not a myth. Beta-carotene will, in fact, help your eyesight. The British just exaggerated a little. By which I mean a lot, of course, you won't be seeing like a cat even if you eat nothing but carrots for years(which can't be healthy for you).
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »

Staring at the computer screen changes the way you see things, yeah.
But thats effected by everything you do.

After you've stared at that screen for a long time, a square of sharpness appears in your line of sight.
Seriously, It's square shaped!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »

It's not a myth. Beta-carotene will, in fact, help your eyesight. The British just exaggerated a little. By which I mean a lot, of course, you won't be seeing like a cat even if you eat nothing but carrots for years(which can't be healthy for you).
Downright poisinous, or I seem to recollect so. I might dig up my Bad Science book to confirm.

The whole "monitors make you blind in the dark" is an extention of the whole "tv screens make you blind in the dark". Started as a polititian saying so to help boost lamp sales, but I don't see how putting less light through your retinas causes you to go blind, unless monitors emit harmful evil rays.

Also, the whole dark thing makes you more likely to become depressed. A more lit up and brightly colored atmosphere encourages happyness, and darkness is pretty much the cause of seasonal deppression dissorder. Always worth knowing, as it would save you the money that you would otherwise give a psychologist to treat you for Clinical Depression.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 01:47:22 pm »

Also, rooms look messier if the lights are off.  I discovered that cleaning the kitchen one day.  I looked at it and despaired, thinking I'd spend the rest of my life cleaning.  I turned the light on, and bam.  It was actually pretty clean.
Shoes...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »

I keep this room dark so I can't see the mess. Stacks of old paperwork and obsolete/broken computer stuff. I think my driving license is under there somewhere.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 03:57:28 pm »

Figure out if you're depressed or not, then decide if dark habitation is a cause or result. I've been keeping a light on in my room lately, it helps me keep track of time better.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 04:17:26 pm »

I doubt its psychologically unhealthy, I'd so more physically. Eye-strain can be caused by your eyes focusing in on item thats the same distance for a long time. Its good advice to get up every hour or so and just look somewhere else, your wall, outside a window. Also, screens being on at night lowers the amount of mellantonin (sp?) the stuff that makes you go to sleep.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »

Very close, it's melatonin.

I shift the position of my computer every half-hour or so.
I've got a laptop that I use in bed, so I'm able to change the distance between me and the screen really easy.
I also use dark colours as much as possible on my computer.
Darkling theme for the forums and aquatint black without buttons (text only) for firefox.
Mostly black desktop background, the only white is the icons and a 6x6 pixel glider.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:35 pm »

People have survived for millenia without simple access to convenient lighting. Animals do just fine without it. So no, unless we've somehow undergone a mutation as a society that requires us to have lightbulbs around us all the time, there's no reason to turn on a light if you don't want it. I'd actually say it's moderately more healthy that you don't, but that's personal bias since I'm the same way  ;D

Actually, being in the dark has always helped me focus much better. The result of a decade plus of gaming, writing, and programming after-hours. Seeing as I've done this almost my whole life without my eyesight becoming significantly worse than my parents at my own age (although they seem fond of swearing up and down that I'll have to declare myself legally blind if I keep it up), I'd say it's a genetic and habitual thing. I don't think I've ever had eyestrain except when I forget to blink in intense FPSes xD And while I do need glasses, so does every other member of my family, including grandparents, cousins, etc.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »

Also, rooms look messier if the lights are off.  I discovered that cleaning the kitchen one day.  I looked at it and despaired, thinking I'd spend the rest of my life cleaning.  I turned the light on, and bam.  It was actually pretty clean.

Huh? When you turn the lights on you see way more dirt and crap that you couldn't see with them off.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 05:39:53 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:07:24 pm by Stany »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 06:41:02 pm »

Huh? When you turn the lights on you see way more dirt and crap that you couldn't see with them off.
I have to agree with Cthulhu. Especially when it comes to just general messiness, as opposed to grime all over the walls and floor.

It'd be so much more distressing if you had a UV light.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6