Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 127021 times)

Jamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2010, 09:56:25 am »

Any remarks on this crash bug?

Also, the 40d16 bug where the game attempts to set an invalid grid size may have survived into 40d17.

I know you might be aware of it, but it is probably the same bug as this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31:51 am »

Oops, I wasn't aware.  I kinda forgot about the tracker.

Siber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2010, 11:46:52 am »

I don't know if this is already known or not, but I got it crash as follows:

Open farm plot, select summer, select plump helmets, hit enter, select autumn, hit enter. It was hard to see because it happened fast, but it looked like it didn't have any crops selected when I switched.
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
I''m not sure I''ve ever seen a computer game before where the AI was capable of going insane, throwing a tantrum, committing atrocities, comforting each other, and expressin

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 14, 2010, 11:50:39 am »

I don't know if this is already known or not, but I got it crash as follows:

Open farm plot, select summer, select plump helmets, hit enter, select autumn, hit enter. It was hard to see because it happened fast, but it looked like it didn't have any crops selected when I switched.
Known bug, see http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49102.0

JGT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 14, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »

I haven't got d17 + head working yet under Ubuntu 9.10, unfortunately.

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it's been answered elsewhere, but what is 2D mode? Does it create a 2D world like the DF of yesteryear, or is it something else?

I'm on a crappy Intel Celeron D and I had to abandon my beloved Bridgecatches last year as that mature fortress was getting as slow as molasses. Will the 2D mode bring speed increases for the likes of myself? Will the ncurses mode?

Cheers

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 14, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »

I haven't got d17 + head working yet under Ubuntu 9.10, unfortunately.

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it's been answered elsewhere, but what is 2D mode? Does it create a 2D world like the DF of yesteryear, or is it something else?

I'm on a crappy Intel Celeron D and I had to abandon my beloved Bridgecatches last year as that mature fortress was getting as slow as molasses. Will the 2D mode bring speed increases for the likes of myself? Will the ncurses mode?

Cheers
the 2D modes are for people without 3D cards or with drivers that suck.

The d?? series may or may not help with large forts, when a fort gets big other things affect performance more than the graphics.

DerImpresario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 14, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »

i'm also having another problem in game in that my levers aren't detecting the three bridges i've built and won't allow me to link up with them. I haven't tried linking them to anything else yet, but that's more because of a lack of specific resources in game atm... of the three bridges i've built, 2 are from rough stone, one is built from blocks, 2 raise a specific direction and 1 retracts...

I'm having the same issue - no matter where the lever is, it won't link up to the bridge I've built, no matter how nicely I ask.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 14, 2010, 09:14:09 pm »

This is because both are keyed to "link to bars" somehow. Rebind "link to bars" from "b" which both are presently on.

Known issue.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 14, 2010, 09:29:08 pm »

Urgh, this is probably just me being stupid, but I can't configure Konsole to work with the ncurses mode. (It is in UTF-8 mode. So it claims.) Help?

(The same thing happens on the Linux console. Which is also in utf-8 mode.)

(Edit: It works fine with uxterm. !?!?)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:33:12 pm by goffrie »

DerImpresario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 14, 2010, 10:19:14 pm »

This is because both are keyed to "link to bars" somehow. Rebind "link to bars" from "b" which both are presently on.

Known issue.

Forgive teh noob... but how might I go about doing this?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2010, 10:33:30 pm »

Known issue.

Forgive teh noob... but how might I go about doing this?

The in-game key bindings don't seem to save properly right now, so you need to edit interface.txt by hand.  In (40d17 folder)\data\init\interface.txt, find "[BIND:HOTKEY_TRAP_BARS_FLOOR:REPEAT_NOT]", then change the line below it from presumably "[KEY:b]" to "[SYM:4:b]" (all sans quotes) to remap it back to Alt+B where it normally is.  (I did this by copying the binding in the same file for BUILDING floor bars, which also previously used Alt+B and still properly does so.)

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2010, 02:41:27 am »

Urgh, this is probably just me being stupid, but I can't configure Konsole to work with the ncurses mode. (It is in UTF-8 mode. So it claims.) Help?

(The same thing happens on the Linux console. Which is also in utf-8 mode.)

(Edit: It works fine with uxterm. !?!?)

Huh.  Weird.  uxterm also works for me.  Konsole apparently has the problem regardless.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:24 am »

>:( WHERE'S MY D17 FOR MAC?!?!!!!  >:(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:30:40 pm by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 15, 2010, 06:02:39 am »

Sorry. d18 will have a mac release, I'm sure, eventually.

And konsole is working perfectly, there. It's just that your selected font lacks the symbols used by DF; find another one.

I can recommend terminus.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:35 am »

I wanted to point out that this alpha build provides *tremendous* improvements in the areas of framerate, responsiveness, and CPU usage when playing via Remote Desktop on 2K/XP.  The official stable build results in 100% usage (of a single core; e.g. on an Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9550) = 25% CPU usage) -- yet locally takes up 1-2% CPU (excluding situations like saving, etc.).

The trick: set PRINT_MODE to 2D, 2DASYNC, or 2DHW.  Now over RD, CPU usage is the same as it would be locally, and the framerate/responsiveness of keyboard input is tremendously improved (getting ~95-100fps on average according to FPS:YES).

Using STANDARD results in the same problem as the official stable build.  So my guess is that OpenGL 3D mode doesn't perform well under RD on 2K/XP, and that ain't DF's fault.

Thank you so much for this improvement!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:32:21 am by koitsu »
Making life hard for others since 1977.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28