Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 127049 times)

Arminius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2010, 03:12:00 pm »

I just recently realized that 40d17 is out and downloaded it.

I'm on Gentoo Linux, and replacing the original libboost_regex.so.35.0 with my system's boost version works for me. I haven't yet tested the game's speed though.

I also tested the current 40d17-head, but that just breaks everything completely. First of all, you've replaced libboost_regex.so.35.0 with a symbolic link to some weird location that doesn't even exist on my system and very likely won't be found on anyone else's system either (namely, /opt/arch32/usr/lib/libboost_regex.so).
Secondly, libgraphics.so now links against libboost_regex.so.41.0, which isn't provided and probably wasn't intended by you. Anyways, this results in a segfault (though I'm building libboost 1.41.0 right now, which, however, takes a while on Gentoo).
All the other libraries are sane.

By the way, execution permissions are also rather messed up. Most text and data files have mode +x, which they shouldn't, while some of the libraries don't have execution rights. I don't even know if that causes issues, because I always chmod +x those libraries before I start anything; but you may want to fix that either way.

Once Gentoo's finished building boost 1.41, I'll retry and tell you more about the results and, hopefully, about speed.

Addendum: Just finished installing boost 1.41. Made a symlink from df/libs/libboost_regex.so.1.41.0 to the freshly installed regex library as well.
ldd doesn't detect any more linking errors, but when I try to run df, it inexplicably segfaults.
I don't know if it's of any use to you, but here's what gdb says about it:
Code: [Select]
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./libs" gdb dwarfort.exe
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/hw/games/df_40d17/dwarfort.exe
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 0xb5420b70 (LWP 21216)]
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xb6f7fc5d in malloc_usable_size () from /lib/libc.so.6

Edit2: Huh, it actually works fine if I run df through valgrind.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:00:44 pm by Arminius »

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2010, 04:04:59 pm »

This is what I get when I run the script from a terminal (Linux):

./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libicudata.so.38: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You don't have the boost C++ libraries installed on your system.  The DF tarball includes libboost_regex but not boost's dependencies, of which libicu is one.  The quickest solution is to install libicu locally, but make sure you get the old version 3.8.  The next version will hopefully handle this library mess a bit better (I heard something about dropping boost for some other regex library.)

--K

Nemoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2010, 04:21:43 pm »

I rebuilt libboost without ICU so that only the regexp lib is needed. I also rebuilt the graphics lib from git.  I had to replace libstdc++.so.6 with one built with GCC4 so I don't know if that might ever cause problems with DF but it all Works For Me™ now.

You can download it here if you can find the little 'click here' link.
*Edit: Removed my libgraphics.so with broken key input.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:09:03 pm by Nemoder »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »

When I set the print mode to any of the 2D modes it (seems to) work fine (albeit slower than prior versions, which rather defeats the purpose of the 40d# updates), but when I set the print mode to any of the other settings (including partial print and standard) the screen only refreshes when I resize it (which is odd, because partial print has always worked for me in prior versions).

OS is Windows Vista, mind you.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Arminius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2010, 05:22:11 pm »

Over here, df doesn't segfault any more thanks to Nemoder's fix.

However, the keybindings are now completely messed up. For example, designations are now invoked by "m", even though the settings say that they should be invoked by "d". Worse, some keys are bound to two functions, leaving me with no access to some functions (I can't access the status screen any more, for instance, because both status and the unit list are bound to "d" and "d" gets me to the unit list).
This problem seems to appear only with Nemoder's libraries.

Nemoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2010, 05:49:48 pm »

Over here, df doesn't segfault any more thanks to Nemoder's fix.

However, the keybindings are now completely messed up. For example, designations are now invoked by "m", even though the settings say that they should be invoked by "d". Worse, some keys are bound to two functions, leaving me with no access to some functions (I can't access the status screen any more, for instance, because both status and the unit list are bound to "d" and "d" gets me to the unit list).
This problem seems to appear only with Nemoder's libraries.

doh!  I should have tested the new graphics lib a bit better.  If you copy back over the original libgraphics.so it should work.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »

Well, how about 40d17-head, then?
$./df
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_regex.so.1.35.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
d17 didn't do that.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Nemoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2010, 07:15:19 pm »

let's see...Out of the box!
df_linuxd17$ ./df
data/sound/song_title.ogg not found, sound not loaded
data/sound/song_game.ogg not found, sound not loaded

I had the same problem with sound not working but I was able to fix it by updating libsndfile (and the vorbis libs it depends on) to a newer version.
This may be a common problem for others like me who are on a 64bit system since the 32bit libsndfile is not included in ia32-libs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:20:07 pm by Nemoder »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »

*facepalm*

I intended to *copy* the library, not *link* it. Oh-kay...

I'll get back to this tomorrow, it's really late now.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2010, 07:52:21 pm »

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but the key bindings won't save.  I tried both ctrl-s ans save and exit but every time I quit and load a new game the keys reset to default.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2010, 07:55:12 pm »

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but the key bindings won't save.  I tried both ctrl-s ans save and exit but every time I quit and load a new game the keys reset to default.
Did not have this problem on linuxd17 fwiw.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JGT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

Trousermonkey:

On linux run the 'df' script from the terminal rather than the dwarfort.exe.

I've been doing that, honest.

Kutulu:

You don't have the boost C++ libraries installed on your system.  The DF tarball includes libboost_regex but not boost's dependencies, of which libicu is one.  The quickest solution is to install libicu locally, but make sure you get the old version 3.8.  The next version will hopefully handle this library mess a bit better (I heard something about dropping boost for some other regex library.)

All the other d[n] versions worked fine though. I'm not really very technical but I appear to have a package called libicu40 (4.0.10ubuntu2) installed.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2010, 08:57:06 pm »

The other d[n] versions didn't use libicu.

The future ones won't either. I'll get a version that doesn't up, oh, tomorrow.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2010, 10:03:00 pm »

Did not have this problem on linuxd17 fwiw.

I did some checking and whenever I save the key bindings it saves it to interface.txt.partial instead of interface.txt.  Simply renaming the file provides a temporary solution as the files are identical except for the key changes and the name.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »

Well, how about 40d17-head, then?
I did compile head git myself and it works fine.
So segfaults are either from lib deps or some changes between head and d17.
It has debug output and probably more debugging internally, so didn't compare fps-vise.

Also, i think it shouldn't be hard to make proper gentoo ebuild from the git, so it would drop all these annoying pre-provided libs and go with system's, and there's at least 3 gentoo folks here. Will the compile way change after merge with df development branch?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28