Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 126981 times)

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #360 on: February 17, 2010, 07:43:58 pm »

Urgh, this is probably just me being stupid, but I can't configure Konsole to work with the ncurses mode. (It is in UTF-8 mode. So it claims.) Help?

(The same thing happens on the Linux console. Which is also in utf-8 mode.)

(Edit: It works fine with uxterm. !?!?)

Have you tried forcing the character encoding to be cp1252 and/or ISO-8859-1 in Konsole?  I'm assuming you have the correct locale information installed since it works in uxvt.

View -> Character Encoding -> Western European -> whatever

--K

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 18, 2010, 12:09:16 am »

Two bugs so far.  Procedures/details in the spoilers.
1. Binding display value not updated when displayed binding is removed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Suggested fix rebuild the display cache keydisplay whenever a binding is deleted.

2. Pressing shift while holding 2 arrow keys causes 1 of the arrows to become lost.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #362 on: February 18, 2010, 01:51:26 am »

I just have to say that [PRINT_MODE:TEXT] is AWESOME!

Does anyone know if this will be copied over to the full large release when Toady merges the 40d# line?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 18, 2010, 09:25:50 am »

I just have to say that [PRINT_MODE:TEXT] is AWESOME!

Does anyone know if this will be copied over to the full large release when Toady merges the 40d# line?
I believe so. I think anything added needs to be OKed by Toady.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2010, 05:48:43 pm »

I have a bit of a problem and was hoping I could get some help with this.

So, the reason I want to move to 40d17 is for the frame rate increase.  I'm currently doing a YouTube Let's Play of Dwarf Fortress and while it runs passably well for a fort in a human town when I'm NOT recording, it runs awfully slow when I am, using regular 40d.

So I got 40d17 based on the suggestions of my subscribers and went to try it out.

I edited the init file to reflect the resolution I would like and read about some of the changes.  I noticed that, for the [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] it suggested that if I experience slow frame rates on the title screen I try one of the other available modes.

Well, I ran it and lo, low frame rate on the menu. 

So, I switched it over to 2DASYNC.  Fixed the speed problem, but, now, FRAPS doesn't recognize the game as a recordable item.  I assume it turned off OpenGL completely, thus, FRAPS doesn't see it as a game.  I tried all the other 2D modes and they all fixed the speed problem, but none of them work with FRAPS.

In conferring with another forumite, 166291, I compared system specs to see why his ran fine on STANDARD and mine did not.  The only thing we could really come up with is that I'm running a 64 bit operating system.  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I'm also using Direct X 11.  I have the most current video card drivers and direct x version and everything else seems to be in order, so, I am posting this 1st to see if it is of any use to the dev team and 2nd to see if there is any way I can resolve my interesting connundrum. 

He tried it out and confirmed that FRAPS doesn't recognize Dwarf Fortress as a game in any of the 2D modes, but he told me to try out 40d16.

40d16 does work with fraps, but, compounding the problem, now I get the menu/game lag on ANY of the print modes, even the 2DHW and async, standard and all the other ones.

Halp?
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

i am using a laptop and i cant seem to figure out how to switch the numberpad + and - keys to the ] and [ keys

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2010, 06:26:31 pm »

i am using a laptop and i cant seem to figure out how to switch the numberpad + and - keys to the ] and [ keys

You can find them in the interface.txt in your data folder. 

Here is the relevant wiki page, with a specific set of pre-made bindings for laptops:

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Key_bindings

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »

I have a bit of a problem and was hoping I could get some help with this.

So, the reason I want to move to 40d17 is for the frame rate increase.  I'm currently doing a YouTube Let's Play of Dwarf Fortress and while it runs passably well for a fort in a human town when I'm NOT recording, it runs awfully slow when I am, using regular 40d.

So I got 40d17 based on the suggestions of my subscribers and went to try it out.

I edited the init file to reflect the resolution I would like and read about some of the changes.  I noticed that, for the [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] it suggested that if I experience slow frame rates on the title screen I try one of the other available modes.

Well, I ran it and lo, low frame rate on the menu. 

So, I switched it over to 2DASYNC.  Fixed the speed problem, but, now, FRAPS doesn't recognize the game as a recordable item.  I assume it turned off OpenGL completely, thus, FRAPS doesn't see it as a game.  I tried all the other 2D modes and they all fixed the speed problem, but none of them work with FRAPS.

In conferring with another forumite, 166291, I compared system specs to see why his ran fine on STANDARD and mine did not.  The only thing we could really come up with is that I'm running a 64 bit operating system.  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I'm also using Direct X 11.  I have the most current video card drivers and direct x version and everything else seems to be in order, so, I am posting this 1st to see if it is of any use to the dev team and 2nd to see if there is any way I can resolve my interesting connundrum. 

He tried it out and confirmed that FRAPS doesn't recognize Dwarf Fortress as a game in any of the 2D modes, but he told me to try out 40d16.

40d16 does work with fraps, but, compounding the problem, now I get the menu/game lag on ANY of the print modes, even the 2DHW and async, standard and all the other ones.

Halp?

I believe that DF has a built-in recorder. Why not use that instead of FRAPS?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2010, 07:06:45 pm »

I believe that DF has a built-in recorder. Why not use that instead of FRAPS?

Because, as he said, he's posting them on youtube.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #369 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:07 pm »

Yeah, it isn't even necessarily a problem with DF because MOST people playing it won't be recording in fraps. 

The only reason I really brought it up was the interesting bit about how it worked in 16 but not in 17, even though 16 had the slow framerate issue.  Thought it might be at least interesting from the dev standpoint.  I can live without it, it would be NICE, but it isn't absolutely necessary. 

I do, however, fear that the next version official version merged with 40d17 might be unrecordable.  Again, not a problem with the GAME so much as with the game + an external program.  I can't expect the programmers to deal with how the game deals with every program running out there, but I was hoping I was just doing something wrong. 

Anyway, I'll carry on without it but hopefully something will come up. 

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:09 pm »

I don't believe that 40d16 HAD a 2D mode, so who knows what putting that in the init actually gave you.  I believe that was newly added in d17.  I believe it's also been stated that the OpenGL modes are all kinds of messed up in d17 currently, and they only work properly for a select few.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »

those bindings are for 40d, not 40d17

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2010, 07:56:49 pm »

Also, you mention you have a DirectX11 card (which has nothing to do with OpenGL) ... what brand?  I heard some time ago that ATI cards do not perform as well as nVidia cards in OpenGL modes.  I'm not sure if this is still true though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:25 pm »

It's still true. A select few ATI cards work fine with opengl; most do not. Generally, the ones that work are the ones they also sell to apple.

You may be able to record using something other than fraps. VNC, for example; I know there are "clients" that produce a movie, and VNC should work fine withe the 2D modes.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:49 pm »

You might try using something more effective than FRAPS.  You know, like a combination of SCFH DSF and VirtualDub?
Making life hard for others since 1977.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28