Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about catapults  (Read 563 times)

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about catapults
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:40:52 am »

I noticed that the stones from catapults skip a few times towards the end removing the snow on some tiles on my otherwise snowy glacier.
My question is, will creatures be hurt on all the skips or just the final resting spot of the rock thrown.?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about catapults
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:06:34 pm »

I think this is a case of the rolling stones, they won't miss anything worthwhile.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:48:13 pm »

Let me answer you in the form of a question.

Would you want to be on the receiving end of a boulder if skipped off the ground one or two times before reaching you or would you rather not be anywhere near it in the first place?   ;)

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »

Ok, I get your point.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:10 am »

In my limited catapult experience, each bounce reduces the damage notably. However, as the damage is spread fairly evenly throughout the target, its not too bad. Catapults have a bit too low damge anyway. An unarmored dwarven peasant can survive a first bounce hit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.