Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Employing Mechanics in DF (mazes, computing, repeaters, etc)  (Read 7681 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Employing Mechanics in DF (mazes, computing, repeaters, etc)
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:41 am »

Anyone know if the bad mood stacks, and if so: how far? Can he be made insane by overloading it, or will he hit a ceiling and possibly come back from miserable before it's too late?

Yes.  All the way.  And no.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »

Just let him engrave a few dozen/hundred masterpieces and he won't care if you melt a heap.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 05:11:51 pm »

So it's some sort of %? Or do you mean I should drive him to "doesn't care about anything anymore" before I do it? That is a valid option, as I'd rather have a somewhat unproductive master engraver than an insane one.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »

Art defacement is a bad thought with a value of -1000 / number of masterworks made (taken from the wiki).  Even if the numbers are wrong, the principle is the same- if your craftsman has made so many masterworks that making one is "Tuesday" to him, rather than a once-in-a-lifetime event, he won't care too badly about his masterworks getting melted. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »

Excellent. Now I wonder what will happen to that equation depending on existing masterworks? If a dwarf made 2000 masterwork engravings (not a difficult or unlikely event) and I flood the fort with magma a little at a time, will he receive a worse bad thought with each batch of meltings as his existing number of masterworks declines?
The sigs topic:

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 06:29:13 pm »

Excellent. Now I wonder what will happen to that equation depending on existing masterworks? If a dwarf made 2000 masterwork engravings (not a difficult or unlikely event) and I flood the fort with magma a little at a time, will he receive a worse bad thought with each batch of meltings as his existing number of masterworks declines?

Probably.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 03:24:00 pm »

dealing with the stone-between-layers glitch
what is that? never heard of it. Actually, i accidentally drained a magma pool thinking it was a pipe with a similar method, and I don't recall having any glitches.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 03:48:15 am »

A glitch can occur where an object exists within a tile where there is technically no space for it to exist. It has something to do with objects existing between layers, such as 'on top of a statue, but out of reach from both above and below.' I had a baby wash up there ones, almost died before I realized it was starving/dehydrated and had the statue deconstructed. The baby fell without harm, thankfully, and we were able to give it some wine to stop the dehydration.

This happened when I channeled out water-occupied floor tiles with stone on them, letting the water drop into the magma beneath along with the stone and leaving the stone embedded/on top of the new obsidian walls (on the same level as the walls) without being destroyed. It doesn't happen consistently, but frequently. Basically I have a bunch of stones on a nothing background displayed where clean walls should be. The walls are there stopping the magma, but I have to look at what appears to be open floor with stones sitting on it.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 2 [3]