Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi-Player Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3095 times)

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Player Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

The problem with games that include multiplayer as a mainstay is that the popularity is suspect to change throughout the game's history and should anyone in the future (like two or three years) decide to go back to playing, the multiplayer function will have been useless.

Ever hear of a game called "Battlefield Vietnam?" It was this game that came out in 2003 or so, people only played it for about 3 months and then it sputtered out.

Investing a game's resources and experience to multiplayer just causes problems when its waining in popularity. A polished single player should triumph a multiplayer.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 06:20:00 am »

what about the timeline ?

people run DF on different FPS rates, so a month takes only 10 minutes for one, 30 for the other.

you would be unable to interact with each other unless DF runs at the exact same pace for all players involved

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

MP DF would NEVER EVER be a balanced game... trading files will be the closest we will get to MP DF.
i dont know with you guys, but im quite content with being able to trade files ^^
een failing lately?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 09:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>MP DF would NEVER EVER be a balanced game... trading files will be the closest we will get to MP DF.
i dont know with you guys, but im quite content with being able to trade files ^^</STRONG>

Balance? Tell me one balanced MP game please.   :D
Either way MP DF would be possible, but it would require enormous amount of work to make....with this speed v1.0 singleplayer DF won't be released in the next 5 years at all. So I guess we can forget about MP mode.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:00 am »

of course you would be able to interact, but not like a regular MP game... today we do community fortresses and the like by sharing files, but we could also have a community world where all players could play as much they wanted, but it would be totally unbalanced.
People could siege eachother and trade and all that, and maybe with the new army arc, siege goblin forts together...
Old idea, but i dont blame those who post it, still this is the wrong board for this stuff
een failing lately?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>I would love to see this happen and hence I ask, again, can we please post all multiplayer ideas in the mod forum?
Thats the only way this is going to happen. It requires the memory accessing skills of the utility makers, and Toady is not going to do it which is fine by me as the work he is doing instead is great.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Toady has said many times on the forums, in interviews, and in telepathic communique, that he does not want to do multiplayer for DF, end of story.</STRONG>

quote:
<STRONG>Toady has said many times on the forums, in interviews, and in telepathic communique, that he does not want to do multiplayer for DF, end of story.</STRONG>

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

NO!  QUIT ASKING!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

Yeah. Proper MP support =! remotely good.
However, proper hacking support = wonderful.
What am I talking about? Quite simply, a DF designed so that it is friendly to being altered by outside programs.
This would allow a sufficiently skilled fan with the computer power of a few years from now to construct a working 3D DF UI.
Or it could allow another skilled fan to create a mechanism by which two players can alter the same game, with some restrictions. Off the top of my head, a rule could be "only within so many tiles of a dwarf of your fort."
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

Integrated file sharing would be nice...

AKA, being able to put together a file that you can send to another player, like choosing goods and soldiers at the trade depot.  You then press "Create Multiplayer Caravan", and all those items and soldiers and people disappear and go into the file.  Another player can then open the file from DF at his fortress of choice, and have a caravan arrive from that other players fortress filled with goods, or a warparty from the players fortress, or whatever.

Shouldn't be too difficult, and would be pretty nice.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

I started playing dwarf fortress to get AWAY from multiplayer games.  

It's the perfect single player game and will remain perfect remaining that way.

What other single player game has a community this lively and robust, friendly, articulate and social?  Even multiplayer online games do not have the kind of team friendly role playing social environment that dwarf fortress provides.  If you ask me, it's already multiplayer, you just have to use your head instead of your network card.

To the OP, try joining some community fortresses or starting your own, or a succession game.  They're great fun and, to my taste, one of the best forms of multiplayer i've seen over my many, many, MANY years of PC gaming.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>IYou then press "Create Multiplayer Caravan", and all those items and soldiers and people disappear and go into the file.</STRONG>

What stops a player from loading up the same caravan multiple times to get the contents more than once?  And "changing the caravan file" won't work, because you just download it again.

Pages: 1 [2]