Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multi-Player Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3096 times)

K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Multi-Player Dwarf Fortress
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:53:00 am »

Im Wondering if df will ever go/Has gone multiplayer? with my idea of multiplayer there should be no NPC's but 10 worlds(servers) but there a bit larger to support more players, then there could be 5 smaller worlds with the normal size world, but supporting less players. it would be fun, working togeather with a player with trading routes, and fighting enemies with your ammased army. also starting colony could be 10, since no strays or no caravan. maybe dwarves from other fortresses could dwindle over to your fort hearing how good it is? well im dwindleing off here so ill stop here.

If anyone has seen any multiplayer DF please post URL to it   :)

Damn... i accidently mined into the flowing river. well thank god i have this flood gate!.." (A Hour Later) "YAY! i can build on my stock pile more.. i filled it with stones AGAIN!" >_< *Mines into the river again* "AHHH!!! RUN EVERY ONE!!" *Fortress Floods And Dwarven Bodies Float To The Surface*

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Player Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

I think any internet compability will have to wait at LEAST untill the army arc is fully functional

then we could send each other sieges, civilization vs civilization

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:27:00 am »

Great idea! Shame so many people have come up with it already...
True Multiplayer DF has not been attempted so far, and has not even been hinted at being on Toady's schedule. The closest you're going to get, at the moment, are the Succession and Community games that are so rampant on Bay12.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:51:00 am »

DF is single-player game and good at it. For good battle in MP try war/star-craft or something.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

You're an idiot, this won't happen, use search.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>You're an idiot, this won't happen, use search.</STRONG>

That wasn't very friendly. But as for "use search", I agree.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>

That wasn't very friendly. But as for "use search", I agree.</STRONG>

That's Scot, he's a dick.

The great game of Warlocks!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by winner:
<STRONG>

That's Scot, he's a dick.</STRONG>

He is more like an arrogant idiot.
  ;)
Also I dont see anything wrong with MP DF. It would be hella fun but it could only work with a save/reload online game feature.

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

What's wrong with multiplayer DF is the hellacious amount of work involved. Basically any time you take a game and make it multiplayer, you multiply the amount of work involved by three. Or six. Or ten.

Moreover, a multiplayer DF game would have to have totally different mechanics from a singleplayer one. You can't just say "Oh, let two people build forts in the same region" and expect it to work at all well or be remotely balanced. It'd be assuredly easier to start from scratch with multiplayer in mind. Given the amount of work that Toady already has on his plate, that doesn't sound very appealing.

About all I think we're at all likely to see are the ideas some people have had for e.g. importing each others' armies/forts into other peoples' singleplayer games and running them under AI control.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of multiplayer Dwarf Fortress. However, if you want to see it be more than an idea, you're going to have to do it yourself.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

Congrats, you've completed the rite of passage, now let's never speak of this again.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

Toady has said many times on the forums, in interviews, and in telepathic communique, that he does not want to do multiplayer for DF, end of story.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

Could you imagine the fat pipe that would be required to transfer all that data between people...

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

I would love to see this happen and hence I ask, again, can we please post all multiplayer ideas in the mod forum?
Thats the only way this is going to happen. It requires the memory accessing skills of the utility makers, and Toady is not going to do it which is fine by me as the work he is doing instead is great.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:
<STRONG>

He is more like an arrogant idiot.
   ;)
Also I dont see anything wrong with MP DF. It would be hella fun but it could only work with a save/reload online game feature.

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]</STRONG>

Well the dwarves might be able to just gather food and live a normal life while you are offline. and continue with some of the tasks set for them

Damn... i accidently mined into the flowing river. well thank god i have this flood gate!.." (A Hour Later) "YAY! i can build on my stock pile more.. i filled it with stones AGAIN!" >_< *Mines into the river again* "AHHH!!! RUN EVERY ONE!!" *Fortress Floods And Dwarven Bodies Float To The Surface*

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

Which means a server would have to handle KI-Dwarves of multiple forts? I don't think this is possible. Well, maybe on Bluegene, but certainly not on consumer machines.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!
Pages: [1] 2