Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Is Communism Dead?  (Read 9523 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Communism Dead?
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:17 pm »

You're still better off with a Wal-Mart job than with no job at all.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:56 pm »

That's what I said.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2009, 04:02:56 pm »

Handicapped employees are easier to abuse than fully functional people.  As a former employee at wall mart, I can honestly say that they are one of the most deceptive, malicious and abusive employers around. Fortunately I have graduated and have a real job now. They are a perfect example of the necrotic destructive side of unrestrained capitalism.

If you don't want to work there, then quit. It's as simple as that. No one can make you stay at your job.

The boys who push carts with IQs less than that of a smart dog are not mentally capable of making the decision to quit. Especially so when you consider the conditioning that their handlers provide. This may not be common at all wal-marts, but there are several that have agreements with institutions for the handicapped. Also the Georgian immigrant floor crew without green cards that worked at the store I was at could not quit either.

I did quit. I was better off unemployed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:06:24 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »

Most work in any distribution center or big warehouse is going to be rough, Wal-Mart or not. I had a friend that worked in a Fed-Ex center and passed out from exhaustion working there. People mail absurd things like 150 pound sections of engine blocks through the mail and the workers have to pull them off conveyor belts by hand for 8 hours a day.
And that makes it okay . . . how?

Not everyone can quit, because not everyone is better off unemployed, and such people that aren't were probably lucky to find any job in the first place, Wal-Mart offering the job or not.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2009, 06:29:15 pm »

Most work in any distribution center or big warehouse is going to be rough, Wal-Mart or not. I had a friend that worked in a Fed-Ex center and passed out from exhaustion working there. People mail absurd things like 150 pound sections of engine blocks through the mail and the workers have to pull them off conveyor belts by hand for 8 hours a day.
And that makes it okay . . . how?

Not everyone can quit, because not everyone is better off unemployed, and such people that aren't were probably lucky to find any job in the first place, Wal-Mart offering the job or not.

I never said it was ideal, I said it was expected. High-traffic warehouses are crappy places to work and if you are not able or willing to work there you should seek other employment. Its like getting a job in a coal mine and complaining about how the rocks are heavy, the air is stale, its 110 degrees underground and everything is dusty. Well, there isn't much that can be done about it. Its a coal mine.

That said, Wal-Mart can PROBABLY afford to make concessions for their workers, especially in rough places like distrubution centers. Coal miners have unions and alot of regulation because its often the only job available in some places. Wal-Mart is a rather union-unfriendly organization. There is almost always a quick enough turn-over rate which implies better jobs DO exist if people are quitting. If there isn't then you can afford unions with lawyers and put political figures in your pocket to get that A/C installed and some nice ergonomic mats by the conveyor belts.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »

You're better off at a sweatshop than with no job at all.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »

The question is not if a job is better then no job, or at least it ought not to be. The question we need to ask ourself concerning the toppic of this thread is if the best choice(s) in this case meet a basic standard.
If you can choose between starvation and extortion, then extortion would be the best option, but that choice is still realy bad.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2009, 08:42:35 pm »

Okay... I think that we've milked the Wal-Mart cow for all it's worth.

In an attempt to re-rail the discussion: Today, I saw a T-shirt that said: "Capitali$m i$ $lavery! Workers of the world Unite!"

I honestly did not know that Marx had his own brand of merchandise.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2009, 09:24:53 pm »

In an attempt to re-rail the discussion: Today, I saw a T-shirt that said: "Capitali$m i$ $lavery! Workers of the world Unite!"

Well, that revolutionary could have made it himself. I have a white T-shirt that says "SMASH CAPITALISM" that my girlfriend had made at one of those custom T-shirt places and gave to me as a gag gift.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:22 pm »

Do you wear it?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2009, 10:07:19 pm »

Do you wear it?

Yes, but I only wear it when I go to bars with my friends to "IRL troll" when I don't care if it draws negative attention, or I wear it under coats.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2009, 11:18:49 am »

Was the person wearing it a 13 year old with Che Guevara badges on and an emo-fringe?
Why am I asking this, of course they were.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2009, 12:03:20 am »

Was the person wearing it a 13 year old with Che Guevara badges on and an emo-fringe?
Why am I asking this, of course they were.

Even better. It was actually a 13 year old with greasy, unkempt hair and a rolling backpack.
He wears a grand total of 2 shirts, and I'm pretty sure his other shirt is a Runescape shirt or something.

You know something I noticed the other day? It's not RuneScape, it's RunEscape. As in, "Run, escape the rude perverted adolescent boys!"

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2009, 02:01:12 am »

Communism is not dead at all, it is infact quite alive and well, with people in the whitehouse espousing the grandeur of Mao Tse-tung.  Yeah, I'll probably get flamed for pointing that out, but it's recorded video. (shrug) Arguing with facts is kinda like swearing a gun isn't loaded... doesn't make it so.

That being said, I don't know whether the President himself is or not.  I've honestly never met anyone more careful to curtail his espoused beliefs to whatever crowd he faces at that moment.  This leaves me with an inherent distrust of the man.  However he has surrounded himself with some people I find incredibly alarming as they appear to believe that the United States of America needs to be radically altered forever...  and yet, I can't find anyone who can give me a reasonable idea of precisely why this needs to be.
  Maybe I'm just a backwater idiot who's too slow to get it...  But with a 135 IQ, I have a hard time believing that.  I do however recall something a Russian politician near the end of the Cold War, and you'll have to forgive me as I cannot recall the man's name.  He said Communism would bring America down from within and never fire a shot.  Tell me it's not a perfect system, and I'll agree.  However humans are not perfect, and from my experience are incapable of producing anything perfect.  Show me a more complex system... and I'll show you more ways to damage, scam, or corrupt the system.

I don't like what I see coming, and I have a hard time finding anyone who does.  Yes, I have found a few, one is a dear friend who's getting married in May.  And yes, I love my guns, in the end I know better than to expect anyone to save me.  So in the end, I must be able to save myself.

So just save yourself.
Demon of Darkness

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2009, 01:03:28 am »

Is Communism Dead?

People still love Mario so I suppose not.

Though technically Mario is Italian so he'd be a Fascist.

The People’s Mario
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:08:31 am by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10