Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mineral and metal modding madness  (Read 4091 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral and metal modding madness
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 05:52:18 am »

That sounds kind of sketchy; how much rust is in peat, anyway?

That also sounds like a highly uncontrolled process that wouldn't quite result in high-grade steel.

I've been trying to luck it up, but can't find anything about it.

Of course, it's a moot point, since Europeans in general had steel well before 1400.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:36 am »

The Minerals Mod has peat "rocks". Unrefined steel that's better than iron is very useful since it's literally dirt cheap. I might add it in, at least an incentive to update the mod again. Thanks for the idea, shadowsofwhite! Now, to find an appropriate way to balance it...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 07:27:05 am »

I did mention that the refining of the steel was performed in the forging process. The "raw" state of the steel from the "cooked" peat was quite low grade until forging was performed. If one is familiar with the method the japanese used to refine their steel, one knows a very similar method the vikings used, as well. Mind you, this is also technology that they used in the 700s and beyond. It's one of the factors that gave vikings the cutting edge (pun intended) in reigning terror over the rest of the "known world".

Either way, it is a moot point about the availability of steel, however, it is a cheap (and little known) method of creating steel.

I believe the greatest trick in balancing is to make it not obvious. If everybody knows you can get unrefined steel from dirt, everybody will do it, much as non-scandanavian did not know of the method. Another note is that peat is not everywhere, which limits the regions available for the utilization of such a resource.

Thank you! I am glad to help. I am only mildly disappointed that the method were not more literally achievable in-game.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 08:15:01 am »

Well, until we can limit smelter reactions to certain skill, we wonzt be able to make it non-apparent as long as peat is around. I'd imagine it'll take as much as 5-6 lumps of peat to get a decent bar of unrefined steel, but if you start on a location with a peat layer, your dwarves will happily go the viking way. Peat can be used to make coal, too, so a peat layer will be real neat to have.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]